Upgrading a Marui VSR 10

Snakeeyes75

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

So, Thh other day I thought i'd take my first steps into the whole world of Sniper rifles. I thought it best to go for a decent product so I bought a G Spec VSR 10 by Tokyo Marui. I set the gun up with a scope and zeroed it to about 30 meters.

Today I went to my local sight and VERY quickly realized I was underpowered! Other snipers were hitting me with ease and I couldn't get a hit at all! I realise that out of the box you're talking about 300 fps and I know that most sights have a 500 fps limit on these things. I looked at the ASPUK site and worked out that their way will cost me £130.

-90 degree EZ Trigger + Piston set

-Steel Spring Guide

-M150 Spring

-High Engagement Hop lever

So is this the "Norm" for upgrading these things? I know that I could just bung a M130 in it stock to achieve just over 400fps

For all the goodness that TM provide it seems like all I'm going to end up with is the plastic lower shell?

if you wanna snipe.... you gotta upgrade. My M700 fired at around 500 fps out the box (gas) but it was so inconsistent. I changed the barrel and hop and seals which made it a different gun.... especially when converted to HPA

• Supporters

You'll want to swap pretty much every internal part, it WILL get expensive.

Trigger, cylinder, piston, barrel etc. Plus the home made bits; Teflon taping the hop rubber, barrel spacers and so on.

Very much the norm I'm afraid.

Goes without saying in the higher fps ranges you'll want to run heavier ammunition than whatever you're using at the moment. Trick is to try a bunch of sizes and see what works for your rifle.

The main thing you'll want to be doing is reducing the amount of air that escapes from anyway other than the end of the barrel when you take a shot. More air behind the BB = more consistent fps. So when you instal the new piston make sure that it is tight enough to be pulled back easily but doesn't feel loose. With my VSR (a clone version by Well) I had to change the o-ring around the piston to get a better compression. Instantly my fps (with other upgrades) levelled out to consistently between 470 - 472. This can happen with TM VSRs as well - my friend had to replace the o-ring on the new piston in his stock TM but other people I know haven't.

Barrel spacers are a cheap way to also increase your shot accuracy. Very easy to make at home (one of mine was the lid off a coke bottle) they stop the barrel from shifting too much when you shoot - I have three in mine and it holds it rock steady. Of course you can buy them pre-made but they cost anywhere up to £15 in some places.

Other than what you've listed, there's not much else I can think of right now that would be worth putting in to the rifle. TM VSRs already have a brilliant hop up unit and precision inner barrel (6.04 I think) as standard so they don't need touching. The cylinder head and cylinder could be replaced at a latter date for a more durable steel one but for now they'll be adequate enough to cope with your higher fps set up.

Thanks all for your help. I think this is a case of me expecting too much from the stock gun. I again looked at the ASPUK site and I have to admit their "Advanced plus" upgrade service:

-Steel Spring Guide

-M150 Spring

-BlackenedCoated Steel Cylinder

-Advanced Steel cylinder head

-Shooter Polished 6.02 TB Barrel

-Dangerwerx Type B Hop Lever

-PTFE Tape mods to Bucking and Cylinder head

iSeems very tempting. It's an easy choice for giving me a reliable 500fps beast!

• Supporters

Thanks all for your help. I think this is a case of me expecting too much from the stock gun. I again looked at the ASPUK site and I have to admit their "Advanced plus" upgrade service:

-Steel Spring Guide

-M150 Spring

-BlackenedCoated Steel Cylinder

-Advanced Steel cylinder head

-Shooter Polished 6.02 TB Barrel

-Dangerwerx Type B Hop Lever

-PTFE Tape mods to Bucking and Cylinder head

iSeems very tempting. It's an easy choice for giving me a reliable 500fps beast!

Make barrel spacers from electrical tape too, makes the world of difference.

The best bang for your buck would be hop and airseal mods. If you haven't already, research the R hop. Should work wonders.

Sealing up the contact between cylinder, hop rubber and hop rubber, barrel. You can achieve this with teflon/ptfe tape or make something called anti blow by rings. Again google search this. There is a good youtube video that shows their effectiveness.

Last but not least, ammo. This makes a huge difference. Be aware that best results will come from matching your bb weight to your fps.

Also may I suggest the airsoft sniper forum. There is an incredible amount of research being done to improve your rifle that it is an invaluable resource.

If you need anything more feel free to pm me.

Bullet

The best bang for your buck would be hop and airseal mods. If you haven't already, research the R hop. Should work wonders.

Sealing up the contact between cylinder, hop rubber and hop rubber, barrel. You can achieve this with teflon/ptfe tape or make something called anti blow by rings. Again google search this. There is a good youtube video that shows their effectiveness.

Last but not least, ammo. This makes a huge difference. Be aware that best results will come from matching your bb weight to your fps.

Also may I suggest the airsoft sniper forum. There is an incredible amount of research being done to improve your rifle that it is an invaluable resource.

If you need anything more feel free to pm me.

Bullet

Cheers for the advise Bullet. TBH I've sort of put the gun on the backburner till I know more about it all! £300 is a lot to spend on upgrading less than a week after i've bought a brand new gun but I'm getting the feeling that this is what everyone does (?) BB wise, what should I be aiming to use on a TM VSR running 500 fps?

Your parts list seems solid. Trigger upgrades are an absolute must for VSRs because the stock ones are total wank. 90 degree system is nice,smooth and reliable. Aspuk/AirsoftPro Triggers have a good reputation.

On the barrel- The stock one is quite good,What I'd do with it is just give it a good polish. Shooter barrels aren't generally bought since people like to stick with PDi and laylax since they have the best quality full stop which is a big factor since you need to make every shot count.

PTFE tape to cyl head is standard stuff. Can;t go wrong. I'd also reccomend sealing the hop up bucking with dental floss or plain old silicone sealant. Dental floss works better than PTFE tape in my experiences. Also you can make some barrel spacers easily,I like to use Masking tape more since it isn't as stretchy or sticky as electrical tape and It's easier to take apart and stick back in.

Polish the cylinder a bit too,and use the stock Marui O ring from the piston or a no.14 O ring. These give very good seals. Make sure to secure the threading on the ball bearing spring guide with loctite so it won't come apart.

If you want to go a step further with hop up,go for the Action Army hop up chamber. These have gotten rave reviews and are pretty much said to be the best aftermarket hop for the VSR. If you want to stay on a budget then go for the Dangerwerx Type A(If you want to use the stock rubber or Laylax purple) or Type B(Pdi W hold or maple leaf)

For rubbers; Laylax purple,PDi W hold,Maple leaf and The stock marui ones are my faves.

500FPS isn;t an absolute must for good performance. 400-450 is a good zone,gives you a smaller Minimum engagement distance and the same benefits of 500FPS without heavy bolt pull.

For BBs,wash them. Lots come in greasy mold release agent which can contaminate the hop and barrel over time and are gripped less by the rubber. A soak in fairy liquid is my method and it works well. Green Devil bios and Blasters are good in my experience. Go as heavy as your hop up unit can lift is my advice

With a r hop you will comfortably lift .43. There are an increasing number of people changing to .66 however these are a little more costly.

Dont go for the Bb bastard ones they are heavily over priced. A guy on the sniper forum is selling some. Also don't believe those who will tell you they are unsafe to use. This is wrong and ill informed. Again refer to the sniper forum and a guy called careful who is leading this .66 revolution.

Bullet

• Supporters

For BBs,wash them. Lots come in greasy mold release agent which can contaminate the hop and barrel over time and are gripped less by the rubber. A soak in fairy liquid is my method and it works well. Green Devil bios and Blasters are good in my experience. Go as heavy as your hop up unit can lift is my advice

I've tried washing BBs and have seen absolutely no difference whatsoever. If you're buying semi-decent BBs, then they'll not need washing.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.