New to Airsoft and eager to go!!!

Dazzler

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hello Everyone this is my first post on this forum, Hope everyone had a GREAT Christmas and new year,

This Year I have decided it is time to take up Airsoft as a major hobby, I have thought about it a few times over the years and now I am going for it and REALLY looking forward to it.

Since November I have done nothing but read up rules find my local sites drag in some mates to team with and even start collecting my gear, And I have just this moment brought my first airsoft gun to get me started as I don`t want to keep hiring, If you calculate it up hiring each time you could have easily brought you own even if it is two-tone and eventually pay for the gun by the time you get your Ukara, (If incorrect please don't correct lol)

Although many places recommend not doing this I have decided to jump straight into the sniper position as I enjoy Hiding and being able to take out targets from a distant without my presence being know, I also like the idea of having that one accurate shot to take down the target instead of spraying and praying.

My Gear so far:

1. Molle Pistol leg drop

2. Tactical gloves

3. Viper knee & Elbow pads

4. Viper Tactical belt

5. Bolle safety glasses, Will be getting goggles with mesh mask as well.

6. Jack Pyke Tundra boots

7. AND I have made my own 3 piece Ghillie suit which has taken me nearly 3 weeks to make now currently sitting at 80% complete

8. Sabre Airgunner 3-9x42 AO Scope

9. FN Herstal SPR A5M (Sniper Rifle)

Desired rifle is a G&G GR25 reason behind this is because its a Semi and looks pure awesome, As I`m left handed I struggle to shoot a bolt action however just to get started I`ll learn to love it and bare it until I am Ukara approved.

Happy Shooting!!!

Welcome to the forums mate!

Would love to see the ghillie when it's complete, something I need to do soon for when I start sniping myself (got an A&K M24 but haven't skirmished it yet)

Just a word of advice on the SR25, DMRs won't perform very good (or probably as you'd expect for a DMR) straight out the box. I'm afraid they take a lot of upgrading which you might not want to to do.

I personally just like to say because they are expensive but internally just a standard AEG as far as I know and like a bolt action it will need work before they perform at least for you to really have a significant advantage over AEGs because out of the box they will generally have about the same performance except you're limited to bolt action / semi and less rounds.

Sure I`ve just finished dying the last batch of jute so hopefully I can start attaching it to my suit soon, GR25 Upgrading that's fine, I`ll upgrade the heck out of it I probably wont be able to get it until Sep, So gives me time to have a change of heart, I have thought about going for a M14

Hi Dazzler.

Welcome first of all. I was exactly like you a few years back. Didn't fancy the aeg route. I read all the forums that said don't go straight to sniper, but I ignored everyone and haven't looked back.

In terms of rifles may I suggest that a bolt action may be of more use to you. Their range, in most circumstances, is considerably better and there is so much info about them (look at the airsoft sniper forum, it is amazing) that make 100 metre shots a viable prospect given the right conditions and rifle setup.

I feel like you have done your research but may i suggest a JG BAR10. They take 100% tm parts, are considerably cheaper and shoot well enough out of the box, and that with some of the free mods out there you will be able to be effective very quickly.

Edit: I just re read your post and saw you are lefty. There is a good thread on the airsoft sniper forum about left handed bolt adaption.

Also, post a picture of your ghillie. It's always nice to see another keen sniper setup on this forum.

Bullet

Bar 10 looks good, I`ll put it onto my list of possible, If I can get a lefty bolt action I wont be going AEG, Just had a peak at some mods people have done to make them left handed I could do these but I`ll do it before I get my next gun incase its a fail.

Cheers Bullet and when my ghillie is complete I`ll post it :D

Hey dude welcome to the forums,

Just noticed you havnt said anything about a sidearm. If youre going to be a sniper role you really need to have some-kind of sub 350fps sidearm. AT all sites in the UK > 350 fps guns have an engagement distance usually about 20-30m.

Say you're hiding unnoticed, a group of enemies come walking up besides you. It would be a horrible feeling knowing that you cant shoot them.

I would recommenced a TM or WE gas pistol.

Steer clear of WE gas pistols, parts failure happen to a lot of people, its usualy the nozzle keeps breaking

• Supporters

Welcome to the forums

you missed an important bit off kit off your list there ... a good pair of boots ;)

i have a G&G SR25 (the one with a QD silencer), its not a bad gun, but it dose have its issues, such as it will only reliably take G&G mags (i bought some other brand off ebay ... they dont feed unless you hold the mag in place :angry: ). Also it need lipo'ing as i managed to lock up the gearbox (i didnt keep the trigger pulled long enough), which meant as there is no full auto to unlock it, i had to drop the motor out and move the bevel gear round by hand ... not an easy task.

if you do like the SR25 style, check out the A&K sr25. it uses the longer (PSG-1) piston/cylinder/spring etc. and i believe its cheaper (i may be wrong here)

If you want a fairly decent inexpensive GBB back up sidearm, the K-Warrior (Kimber) 1911 is not bad. Comes in a decent foam lined ABS case (you'd probably pay a tenner for one of those), has an engraved Kimber trademark logo on the slide, has a built in rail on the bottom of the frame so you can put a tac light or laser on it, comes with a twenty five round double stack mag, and being that it has a largish mag, it does actually let you get all of those BBs off, even does pretty well in cold weather. Mags are pretty cheap too at 20 quid a pop, so I have two spare mags for mine. You can find em for less than sixty quid, for example here:

http://www.onlybbguns.co.uk/k010-k-warrior-1911-gas-blowback.html?filter_name=K-Warrior#.VLE-nXtJVhM

And yeah, I know that is a BB gun site (oh my god!!!), but I've bought craploads of stuff from there, and found that the service is actually good. I've got two of those K-Warriors (a long slide version and a shorter one, both of which I bought from that site), and they are not bad, which is frankly amazing considering it is a full metal 1911. Note that, if buying from that site, it doesn't matter that it is a two tone, because the slide can come right off when you field strip it, and being that it is full metal, you can take that blue paint off easily with some nitromors, which is exactly what I did with mine, then you can either polish it and coat it with clear varnish, blue it, or spray it black. If you do get one however, give the longer slide versions a miss, they don't fit in the average holster too well and the bigger the slide, the more work the gas has to do to cycle the action. I still prefer my cheap ass springer pistol in this cold weather to be honest, since it never fails, but if you fancy delving into GBBs for not much money, the K-Warrior 1911 Kimber is a good choice. There are a crapload of after market parts for them too incidentally if you like souping things up, and being that it is an accurately dimensioned authorised copy of a Kimber 1911, a lot of real 1911 parts will fit it too, so if you wanted pearl grips or some other tacky 'Murican' crap , it can be done :lol:

For a sniper, I would suggest the best sidearm is the TM MK23 Socom, purely because it is very quiet and accurate.

Actually, If I was really serious about DMR sniping, wanted a rifle and a well matched sidearm and was into having it all gas powered, I'd get this lot:

http://www.patrolbase.co.uk/airsoft/asg-mk1-tactical-sniper.htm#.VLFGeXtJVhM

and this:

http://www.patrolbase.co.uk/airsoft-pistols/asg-mk1-airsoft-nbb-pistol.htm#.VLFG0XtJVhM

The rifle does 480fps out of the box, pistol does about 280fps, and they share the same 16 round mags, which are only 20 quid each. So for a total cost of 125 quid, you could have a rifle, pistol and a spare mag. All you'd need is a scope for the rifle and you'd be sorted, and it would be an incredibly light and portable set up, tough too, since both the pistol and the rifle are alloy/polymer, which I would imagine is ideal for a DM role. It's all very 'day of the jackal' in appearance too :lol:

Afternoon Chaps,

I have Jack pyke tundra boots which are COMFY!

Chock: Thanks I really like the look of the pistol and will be getting it for my first, My next one will be a gas blow back M1911.

I have not replied for the last few days as I have been working on my Ghillie suit (And working) I will attach pictures when I get home today, I currently have some alterations that needs doing to the jacket to make the front better as shoulders are not covered right and I also have the hat left to complete, Once this is complete I will then try on all my gear and see if everything looks right and if my holster will stand out too much, If it does I`ll Ghillie the holster too.

Once my suit is complete I`ll then make a gun wrap, Process: Cut hessian bag, glue cut edge to seal threads in place, Saw around barrel to create a fit but slightly slack, Cut section out for scope and add extra piece to make a dog kennel over the scope leaving extra to pass the scope lens by 30mm to attach mossy netting to remove the "Black hole in the bush effect", Dye hessian to create a Dark green/Olive effect and extras Ie cut for bolt, mag ect, Of course this will only be used whilst on the site until I have my Ukara cert once I have this I`ll make it a perm fix until then I`ll make it a 2 part removable cover as read this is acceptable to do.

How do you stop someone standing on me if I wear a ghillie suit, WELL! I`ve thought about going to ebay buying fake poo and attaching it to my back with some bog roll on it what do you think!?

Regards Dazzler

sTFBbBf.jpg6vUzvGv.jpg

Still needs few more sections added to lower right, Also I cut a vent panel out the back and I`m wearing a white t-shirt under which is why you can see straight through on the day would have to be Green or black.

Also could someone advise on a good cleaning kit for a sniper rifle?

If you've got a decent length unjamming/cleaning rod (i.e. for your rifle it will ideally need to be about 450mm long), which most airsoft guns come with, then you could simply get a few bits and pieces together, such as white spirit to make sure the inside of your barrel is shiny, and silicone oil to lube stuff up without your rubber and plastic parts falling to bits, but if you want a cheap way to get all that together with all the necessary stuff, then this isn't a bad bet for a tenner and comes with all you need (apart from a cleaning rod):

http://www.patrolbase.co.uk/airsoft/we-airsoft-maintenance-kit.htm#.VLQX6HtJVhM

Avoid cleaning kits for air rifles or real firearms, they are fancy and cool looking, but the phosphor bronze brushes are too harsh for an alloy or brass barrel and the calibre is unlikely to be correct either, since they are intended to remove lead deposits from rifling and unburned propellant. Real firearm cleaning rods also tend to be comprised of brass or steel sections as opposed to being one piece plastic like airsoft ones are, so the joins between segments will scratch an airsoft brass or alloy barrel, your plastic cleaning/unjamming rod is the tool you want for that, with typically a bit of cotton pushed through the loop and some white spirit or similar on the thing to remove gunk, then a clean bit of cotton to remove any residue, since an airsoft barrel should be clinically clean. If your rifle did not come with one, then cleaning rods of sufficient length are cheap to buy (usually less than a fiver). Be sure to take your hop rubber out before ramming a rod down the thing, as the rod could easily damage the hop up, and you also don't want to be getting any silicone oil or other chemicals on the hop either. Don't put craploads of cotton through the rod loop either and force it into your barrel, a tiny bit of cotton is enough to clean it, but make sure it is a long enough piece to stay through the loop or it'll come off and get stuck lol.

Note that even if your gun is new, the chances are the barrel could do with a good clean, as they tend to have sh*te on the inside from the manufacturing process, and they can also tarnish if they've been on a warehouse shelf for a while, which does not help with fps or trajectory.

You could go mental and really smooth out the inside of your barrel with a lapping kit. Not cheap, but they will certainly clean the bugger good style and then improve consistency between shots owing to how smooth the thing will be, which is fairly important for sniping. You can find lapping kits here:

http://www.air-lab.co.uk/products.html

Although frankly, if you're gonna go to the trouble and expense of polishing a barrel with a lapping kit, you'd probably be better off doing it to a fancy after market one.

Like that suit you made by the way, looks like it would be ideal for being the co-pilot of the Millennium Falcon as well as for sniping. Just be thankful you don't have to piss on the ground in front of your rifle like real snipers do before taking a shot, you'd never find your flies lol

I`ll get a standard cleaning kit for this one, When I get my main rifle I`ll lap it, Gives me time to learn tips and tricks of gun maintenance for myself a lot to learn lol.

Most of it is common sense. You should never be afraid to take a gun apart to have a nosey at how it all goes together and see how it works. Airsoft guns are pretty basic machines. So long as you go slow, don't force anything and make a note of where things go, the very worst that can happen is that you'll end up with a pile of bits and have to ask on here how the hell it all goes back together lol. Not good for our egos to have to do that, but not the end of the world. Beware the carpet monster though, it loves to eat little springs and screws, so only do that when you have two guns. :lol:

Got my first gun I got a Mk23 special, Ghillie suit I got half way through my hat and ran out of dyed jute.....Back to the dismantling jute stage...

Bear in mind that on hot days you may want something cooler than a full ghillie suit. They are notoriously warm.

Yer I just worn the entire suit with half a hat and it is very warm thinking hydration pack needs to be incorporated as well, I`ll just have to bare in mind I`m not running outa my boots in play I`ll have to sloth it, Trying it with my Sidearm /w holster whats the first thing I did?? Cut my trigger and thumb off my gloves couldn't feel my safety lol,

One handy thing I did notice tho is that I`m comfy firing my Sidearm with my right hand yet I snipe left handed, Pretty handy for me

Holster is concealed from the ghillie suit can not be seen when prone also any straps from knee pads.

Crawling is easy with nothing being caught.

Goggles I need colorless lens, I currently have yellow and just don't like wearing them

No photos as my photographer is not here, Next pictures will be when entire suit is complete and maybe rifle wrap.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.