The GBBR Thread

Airsoft-Ed
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Supporters

damn it, forecast for tomorrow morning of for 0 degrees and snowing... i think the G5 will have to wait for its debut :(

bring on the spring!

It'll probably be fine y'know. My L85 and SCAR were both running without any issues last weekend and I know it wasn't that cold last weekend, but my rifles aren't known for working well in the cold, whereas the G5 is. Tiny, light bolt and a huge magazine = good in the cold.

If my L85 can run in +2C when the bolt is massive and weighs a ton, with the whole body made of a very refrigerator-y steel, then a full polymer G5 ought to shit all over 0C.

Used my AK on the site range today, no cold related problems at all, emptied a full mag easily (on semi I should add) and range and accuracy seem good out past the 40m target barrel, barring hop creep (read: it loses hop altogether after about 5 shots lol), just a case of fitting some washers to tighten the hop. Its been around 0-2 degrees max as hail which fell yesterday was still on the ground this pm.

i had some difficulties with my G5. not only are the mags bloody hard to load (actually got cramp in my forearm trying to force the 20th bb into the mag) but the accuracy of the rifle wasnt too good. the hop up couldn't lift a 0.25g BB unless it was all the way on, and even then, half the BBs seemed to ignore the hop all together and just drop.

Ive put it down to a filthy barrel, as i cleaned it when i got home and it was minging, as in, white tissue in, black tissue out, so hopefully it'll be better now. i want to try it but i dont have anywhere longer than about 5 metres to shoot at home.

and to add to that, my brand new shiny Hawke red dot sight was sent out with a dead battery. i got about half an hour of a dot so dim i couldnt see it outside before it just died completley.

but having said all this, it was still bloody fun

EDIT:

Also, If i move over to using straight propane, can i simply avoid faffing around with adding silicone in the bottle and ensure that whenever my mags are stored they have some Abbey maintenance gas in them? if it works how i think it will, the seals will slowly dry throughout the skirmish day when the magic gas is swapped for propane, then at the end of the day, swapping back to magic gas re-lubricates the seals... right?

how fast will the seals dry out and start to leak if dry propane is used?

i had some difficulties with my G5. not only are the mags bloody hard to load (actually got cramp in my forearm trying to force the 20th bb into the mag) but the accuracy of the rifle wasnt too good. the hop up couldn't lift a 0.25g BB unless it was all the way on, and even then, half the BBs seemed to ignore the hop all together and just drop.

Ive put it down to a filthy barrel, as i cleaned it when i got home and it was minging, as in, white tissue in, black tissue out, so hopefully it'll be better now. i want to try it but i dont have anywhere longer than about 5 metres to shoot at home.

but having said all this, it was still bloody fun

EDIT:

Also, If i move over to using straight propane, can i simply avoid faffing around with adding silicone in the bottle and ensure that whenever my mags are stored they have some Abbey maintenance gas in them? if it works how i think it will, the seals will slowly dry throughout the skirmish day when the magic gas is swapped for propane, then at the end of the day, swapping back to magic gas re-lubricates the seals... right?

how fast will the seals dry out and start to leak if dry propane is used?

You'll be fine if you get one of the AI propane adapter kits, they come supplied with a bottle of silicon oil, put 2 drops into the neck of the propane bottle before you put the adapter on, this lasts for between 8 and 10 mag fills, stick maintain gas in after each day is a good move but you don't need to fill them right up, couple of seconds is fine

If you haven't got the mag adapter for your speed loader then the mags are a complete pig to load, milspec sell them for £1.50

You'll be fine if you get one of the AI propane adapter kits, they come supplied with a bottle of silicon oil, put 2 drops into the neck of the propane bottle before you put the adapter on, this lasts for between 8 and 10 mag fills, stick maintain gas in after each day is a good move but you don't need to fill them right up, couple of seconds is fine

If you haven't got the mag adapter for your speed loader then the mags are a complete pig to load, milspec sell them for £1.50

Thanks on the gas, i only use a couple of seconds of maintenance anyway.

and i have the mag adapter, i guess that the cold made the lips rigid and the spring in each mag is brand new and hasnt relaxed any, the first time i filled the mags i could only get 15 or 16 bbs in, and at the end of the day i could get 22 into one of them

and yes, i did still skirmish with each mag only half full, gotta practice reloading now ill be doing it so often :P

there is a nack to loading the BBs, you'll work it out. I think the issue you had was down to too much gas, empty the mag then only fill with 5-8s of gas. Or it could be the hop bucking needing to bed in, fire a few mags though it and see if it settles down.

there is a nack to loading the BBs, you'll work it out. I think the issue you had was down to too much gas, empty the mag then only fill with 5-8s of gas. Or it could be the hop bucking needing to bed in, fire a few mags though it and see if it settles down.

Thats my plan :P

And too much gas In the mag can ruin your accuracy? I kind of get it, ill try putting a little less in

• Supporters

And too much gas In the mag can ruin your accuracy? I kind of get it, ill try putting a little less in

No, you want as much gas in as possible. Not sure what he meant by that.

Also, going back to the last page regarding your question about maintenance gas for storage between games and not bothering with silicone - Yeah, I think you'll get away with that.

The adaptor's instructions say to add two drops of silicone for every 10 mag fills if I remember right, but I must've gone 40 fills or more at times without adding any silicone and my mags have always been fine.

I pretty much only add any when it strikes me that I haven't done for yonks and start to get paranoid lol.

About your accuracy/hop being pants though, have you had the gun apart at all since you got it? A lot of people say when they've bought new GBBRs they come caked in grease internally, could be that some of it got down the barrel and caked your rubber in it, which would explain the bad accuracy and inability to lift past .25s.

I run my rifles dry, but that's because I've looked inside at all the wear points and figure it does them no harm. I've not had a G5 apart so I can't advise on them.

• Supporters

I have a technical exercise in mind for my L85 and I just want to run the theory by anyone who wants to read it in case there's some issue I might've missed or overlooked the importance of or something.

A lot of people with ARs will have more than one buffer spring and they'll swap between them depending on the temperature. Theory being that when it's cold and the gas can't expand as much, using a weaker spring helps with cool down and gas efficiency. Less tension on the bolt from the spring means it's easier to push the bolt back, easier means less gas, less gas means less cool down, less cool down means more shots per mag - Greater overall gas efficiency.

Of course, once it gets warmer again a heavier spring needs putting back in to stop the gas from smashing the bolt into the rear of the gun too hard and causing undue damage, so it's a balancing act.

Anyway though, bearing that in mind, I have a spare recoil guide rod/spring set assembly for my L85 and I was thinking of trying a similar thing...

With an M4 there is only one spring, it both cushions the bolt when it hits home at the back end of its travel, and it also resets the bolt.

With the L85 there are two different springs (there are 3 springs total, but two are the same). The main one acts as the M4's spring does, the other type of spring there are two of and they're very short, very stiff springs that sit at the back of the gun, so when the bolt hits them, they trampoline it back forward again, increasing the rifle's cycle speed. These two shorter, stiffer buffer springs remove the need for the main spring to be as beefy, the main spring's duties are now reduced to holding the bolt forwards/closed and returning the bolt to battery (the forward position) when the catch is released on a reload, or when the bolt is manually racked - Because during firing, the little buffer springs are what return the bolt, by acting as a trampoline for the bolt, which is something the M4 lacks.

I'm thinking of cutting the main recoil spring on my L85.
It needs to still have enough strength to return the bolt under its own steam, as well as enough tension to hold the bolt forward with it moving around if you shake the rifle. It also needs to still be long enough to actually cover the bolt's full travel, so I'm hoping there'll be surplus length once it's uncompressed for me to remove a good few inches from it and still have the rifle function correctly.

But the more length I can remove from it, the weaker the spring will be, which means the less gas it'll take to cycle the action... So if I get the balance right, I'm hoping it'll work a lot better in the cold.

I ran the idea by a load of other people and they just said, "Use CO2 mags" or "Get a HPA rig".
But they're not me... I just want the challenge of trying it all out as a test of my technical understanding of the system.

The G5 is very sensitive to how much gas you put in. GHK themselves recommend only 5-7s of gas, if you over fill it spits liquid into the barrel and hop causing the BBs to go no distance and have crap hop. Another thing with the G5 is that sometimes the hop bucking isn't seated correctly and that can cause odd hop issues.

The G5 is very sensitive to how much gas you put in. GHK themselves recommend only 5-7s of gas, if you over fill it spits liquid into the barrel and hop causing the BBs to go no distance and have crap hop. Another thing with the G5 is that sometimes the hop bucking isn't seated correctly and that can cause odd hop issues.

i thought so, as having so much liquid gas in the mag means bringing that when shooting, this gas ban be dragged into the chamber before it evaporates again, meaning that as it does evaporate, it dumps its lubricant (silicone/HPL) in the hop and the barrel (i know that green gas leaves some lubricant in the barrel anyway, but not this much)

ive not bought some propane and the adaptors, even got an Airsoft Innovation silicone pump which will allow me to add an accurate dose of silicone to the bottle, and only have to do it once per bottle, though I was considering using dry gas to reduce the amount of lubricant getting into my hop chamber and barrel if my accuracy problems arent fixed now ive cleaned the crap out of my barrel.

Thanks

Also - GHK G5 magazines have an over-strong spring that takes time to wear in. I found my first load was between 16 and 24 rounds, but rapidly that increased to 32+. Don't force pellets in.

Also - GHK G5 magazines have an over-strong spring that takes time to wear in. I found my first load was between 16 and 24 rounds, but rapidly that increased to 32+. Don't force pellets in.

aye, thats what i figured, though i bet the cold didnt help either.

i condisered leaving a few bbs in the mag for 24 hours to help the spring relax, though id probably forget and fuck them up.

• Supporters

My gas primaries as of now consist of 2 KWA LM4s (14.5" barrel with a ton of pimp work and a 10.5" that will get a ton of work soon), a KJW KC-02 and a PTS FPG. I've been thinking of picking up a gas AK for a while since there's quite a few interesting RS parts out there that could make it more unique, but it's proving tricky as I want an s-74u length barrel but there's a specific stock adapter I'd like which only fits on full-stock AKs and the really short outer barrel don't seem to be available separately at all. Might have to wait and see what the new magpul stocks will fit on in terms of receiver types.

Running my LM4s I use colemans cans with the AI adapter, drop in some silicone oil every few mags (don't really keep track much), same with pistols; mags get filled 'til they're full. The insides are lubed entirely with Froglube, I've no idea if it's the best option but it soaks in to all the parts just as it's supposed to with a firearm and the gun doesn't grind or anything when shooting, operates smoothly enough. Also you get a blast of lovely minty freshness with every trigger pull for the first mag of the day. They rarely get used as I have far more guns than I play games in a year, so I can't comment much on longevity, but the magazines are absolutely rock solid in terms of holding gas. Have about 6 now, owned most for over 2 years and not one has shown even a sign of a leak.

I was wavering about getting in to the GHK mags in some way (either STANAGs or G5s) as there's a possible Tavor on the way that might take them, but then PTS released their catalogue for this year and they've got an ACR and PDR (the lesser spotted D variant) on the way that both take LM4 system magazines.

Got my assorted Propane paraphenalia yesterday: a bottle of colemans, Airsoft Innovations adapter, and an AI Oil Pump.

The pump is basically a simple siphon which lets you push lightweight silicone into the can through the adapter, just a quick 2 minute job and then the entire can is set for its life.

But my god it stinks, not looking forward to trying full auto and getting a nose and mouthful of rotten egg, but at least its cheap

• Supporters

I did wonder if there was any way of fitting an activated carbon filter into a hose line so you could take the smell out as you fill your mags?

• Supporters

I honestly don't even notice the smell anymore.

...Which is probably really bad for if there's ever a gas leak in the house.

I've never heard of anyone filtering the smell out though, so I'd have thought someone would've mentioned it somewhere at some point if it were possible.

• Supporters

Just had a quick dig on t'web and apparently activated charcoals ability to adsorb the odour in propane isn't very good. So that's that idea out of the window then.

could use one of my old socks.... have never found anything that can overpower the smell of a submariners feet! :D

Try working a day at a grease recycling plant mate. Never again will i consider it...

• Supporters

I think I must be used to the propane smell as well. Considering it's only a few times a year I'm actually gassing things up you wouldn't think a 'resilience' would accumulate, but I've never used anything other than green/propane since I started so perhaps that's a factor. I notice it has a smell.. doesn't bother me in the slightest bit though, probably similar to Ed.

Archived