The GBBR Thread

Airsoft-Ed
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

what kind of gas do you use in Summer/Winter?

Join me

#PropaneMasterRace

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Join me

#PropaneMasterRace

I dont know if i want to, i have no doubt that i would fuck up the silicone dosing and my FPS would be all over the show. not to mention that Colemans propane isnt nearly as clean as something from WE or Abbey

Propane, but I do empty the mags, put some silicon oil in and a half fill of green gas between events.

Think this is the right link to give yo a good idea.

There's also a very active and decent GHK G5 group on Facebook - "GHK G5 GBB Owners Group"

I dont know if i want to, i have no doubt that i would f*ck up the silicone dosing and my FPS would be all over the show. not to mention that Colemans propane isnt nearly as clean as something from WE or Abbey

Don't fear the gas! Embrace it! Its your friend, it gives you recoil and noise and a whole lotta whoopass!

• Supporters

I dont know if i want to, i have no doubt that i would fuck up the silicone dosing and my FPS would be all over the show. not to mention that Colemans propane isnt nearly as clean as something from WE or Abbey

You'll want to once you see how quickly green gas rapes your wallet and bank account lol. I have 10 mags and gassing them all pretty much empties a 750ml can of green gas.

I use a little under 25 mags in a day on average - they hold 30 shots each so that's about 700 shots, give or take - Coleman's propane bottles can comfortably last me a full day, and have a bit left over for plinking at home, or to use with pistols which don't chew through it as much.

But the point I'm making is that if I were using green gas I'd have to buy 2 bottles, probably 3, every game day. That's like £30 on gas + the £20+ I'd spend on actually paying to play and buying lunch and stuff, it just gets waaaayyyy too expensive. Coleman's canisters cost about the same as green gas ones but hold more than double the gas, and because the container itself is bigger it has better mileage because of how the pressure equalises slower from being in a larger container.

That being said though, the G5 will be significantly more gas efficient than my L85 or SCAR because it's full polymer construction and the bolt will be a lot lighter, and smaller, to boot. I guess you'll have to see how you go, but I still think it's better to go for propane purely for the extra mileage.

Not sure what you mean about it not being as clean or consistent though?

[snip]

Not sure what you mean about it not being as clean or consistent though?

the propane used by Abbey especially is almost clinically clean, very pure. whereas the reason colemans is cheap is because it isnt as pure. i mean, why go to the effort of meticulously refining what is basically just fuel for a BBQ or stove?

it likely doesnt make much difference, but i bet the inside of a gun on Coleman's (other brands available) propane is dirtier than the same gun that runs on the Green Stuff

As TheGrover has said - airsoft targeted propane (i.e. green gas) not only has some silicon oil in it to lubricate the seals (though it can cause some gumming up of the hop rubber over time), but is also about as pure as you can get it. The commercially available propane (i.e. colemans) contains contaminants.

Simple test you can try is clean your barrel, fire off 5-10 mags using green gas and re-clean - see how much dirt your cloth picks up. Repeat with propane, you'll note there's a lot more dirt removed from your barrel.

Now if you're doing regular maintenance it will make no difference, but if you just leave your gun alone at the end of the day you'll get reduced performance much more quickly than when using airsoft specific gas.

• Supporters

Meh, I've never noticed. Contaminants aren't going to cause it to expand within the mechanism differently so the consistency on that front doesn't really make any difference, and sticking a cloth down the barrel every once in a while doesn't take much effort.

Definitely worth using just for the cheaper price imo.

It's like comparing different brands of orange juice, still does the same job, still does it just as well, one might just be made better. It's not going to alter your accuracy, range or gas efficiency or anything because for it to get that bad you'd need there to be actual lumps of debris in the gas, something large enough to genuinely foul the mechanism.

The rifles aren't precision instruments, the parts aren't made to exact tolerances, so making sure everything you can refine, is refined is only going to help by a small margin and it'll only be noticeable if you refine everything that can be to the absolute maximum possible amount, and if you do that, you end up with one of those £3k Airsoft Surgeon pistols made for AIPSC tournaments.

It's down to the user of course, but green gas will bore a hole in your wallet in no time if you run rifles on it.

• Supporters

my 1 issue with propane that you can buy over the counter .... smelly :(

(please note that that smell is put there so campers can tell if they have a leak ... bit like natural gas at home)

My gas rifle isn't technically a Gas Blowback as it is a bolt action.

I have an Iron Airsoft Lee Enfield Mk1 NoIII*

It is a great looking gun but was a bit of a nightmare to get working and then the gas release valve on the mag blew up. It's a great looking gun and when it was working, it was amazing to shoot it. Although it has full bolt travel (and strips like the real steel), you only actually have to pull the bolt back the 1st half an inch. It would therefore be possible to get quite rapid fire for a bolt action. Just waiting for May, when the next production run is scheduled, hopefully I can get hold of some mags and start shooting again. I would not recommend this gun to anyone, but I love it.

From tinkering to get my rifle working, I learned a bit about how it works mechanically. To adjust FPS you either adjust the spring on the gas release valve or the spring on the striker that hits the gas release valve. I had to adjust the striker spring tension by adding a washer to get it to actually shoot, in hot weather the gas pressure was so high the gas release wasn't even getting depressed enough to release gas. You could also restrict fps by adding an obstruction to the gas pathway.

• Supporters

Propane is absolutely the way forward for gas guns, yes it's not as clean as say abbey predator or whatever... but if you refill coleman canisters from a big 20Kg tank then the gas is effectively free. When I had the tank/adapter it was costing me way less than £1 for a full coleman sized bottle of propane.

As for cleanliness; since i bought it in 2013 I've cleaned the barrel of my MP7.... once. It still shoots as straight as a die and I've run it on dry propane (no silicone oil added at all) for about 18 months of that. All you need to do to maintain your mags using dry propane is at the end of a game day put a 1 second squirt of abbey maintenance gas into them and all will be good :)

[snip] and I've run it on dry propane (no silicone oil added at all) for about 18 months of that. All you need to do to maintain your mags using dry propane is at the end of a game day put a 1 second squirt of abbey maintenance gas into them and all will be good :)

surely though your FPS was on the high side if you're running what is effectively sniper gas. the silicone or UPL in the gas acts as a libricant in place of that extra 5% or so of propellant, reducing your FPS. running dry must surely bump your FPS up maybe even over site limits in summer

ive not used an MP7 so i dont know what the FPS usually is :P

• Supporters

Your over estimating the power difference. Its not effectively sniper gas, the power figures are pretty much the same, any gas user with common sense would allow some leeway between their gun and the site limits to allow for changes in temperature etc. Even if it did go over limits, its easy to lower gas gun power outputs anyway.

The only reason not to use propane is if you play at a site that doesn't allow it like ground zero. There's a good reason so many gbbr users use it, getting the same performance for much less cost isn't slmetbing most will want to pass on. I think you over value the 'purity' of Airsoft gasses a bit too much, if it was such a big deal then it wouldn't be as popular an option as it is.

• Supporters

And I did get round to taking some (not great) pictures of some of mine

Normal M4 cqb, my current main rifle- nothing fancy but does the job.

IMAG0381.jpg

Spare part gun, needs a gas block and it'd be useable though.

IMAG0383.jpg

Spare Upper,

IMAG0387.jpg

G36, needs a couple of small bit replacing but works fine on semi which is all you need really. Can't see my self using it anytime soon so might end up selling it, I enjoy playing with it though so might just hang on to it.

IMAG0389.jpg

And finally the ACR

IMAG0384.jpg

Handguard cable tied on due to WE's unique shitiness. Will probably have to replace with the plastic handguard, I prefer it anyway so not a big deal.

IMAG0386.jpg

I couldn't be bothered to get the M14 or xm177 out as I can't do much lifting at the moment and they're right at the back of my mess so you'll have to wait for those. ;)

IMAG0395.jpg

Your over estimating the power difference. Its not effectively sniper gas, the power figures are pretty much the same, any gas user with common sense would allow some leeway between their gun and the site limits to allow for changes in temperature etc. Even if it did go over limits, its easy to lower gas gun power outputs anyway.

The only reason not to use propane is if you play at a site that doesn't allow it like ground zero. There's a good reason so many gbbr users use it, getting the same performance for much less cost isn't slmetbing most will want to pass on. I think you over value the 'purity' of Airsoft gasses a bit too much, if it was such a big deal then it wouldn't be as popular an option as it is.

i see, so how much will dry propane increase your FPS compared to green gas?

and what are the ways to reduce your fps, if you chrono it and the heat has bumped it up a little?

i dont mean to sound like a cynical know-it-all, in fact im happy to be proven wrong. im just trying to understand for myself from your experiences :P

Propane is absolutely the way forward for gas guns, yes it's not as clean as say abbey predator or whatever... but if you refill coleman canisters from a big 20Kg tank then the gas is effectively free. When I had the tank/adapter it was costing me way less than £1 for a full coleman sized bottle of propane.

Coleman changed the bottle a while back (before I got my first GBBR). The newer bottles can't be refilled (unless you'll going to alter them).

As to the question from another post of FPS propane v green gas - it's the same ...

Going to add one more thing about GBBRs - some have too powerful a recoil for standard airsoft optics. My GHK G5 has shaken apart two sights (one WE one Element) and one gun torch (ASG Sunfire clone). I'm now trialling a Vector Optics Aimpoint M2 clone (real steel).

As to the question from another post of FPS propane v green gas - it's the same ...

Really? i thought there was usually an increase :P

Going to add one more thing about GBBRs - some have too powerful a recoil for standard airsoft optics. My GHK G5 has shaken apart two sights (one WE one Element) and one gun torch (ASG Sunfire clone). I'm now trialling a Vector Optics Aimpoint M2 clone (real steel).

i knew it was an issue, though now im glad i didnt buy a WE T1 replica with my gun :P

I use a Swiss Arms T1 on my G5, not had any probs on that or my RM4

Good to know, though i thought Swiss Arms usually wasnt known for their robustness. again, im happy to be proven wrong :D

Do I bit the bluer and brought a we 416, it comes already upgraded with a maple leaf 75 degree bucking, napas, 6.01 barrel and 1 mag.

Next up I'm buying 5/6 mags and a dytac smr and a trijicon srs might get a dbal aswell.

Anyone know the cheapest place to get we mags?

Cheapest place I have seen them is Milspec Solutions. If you buy 3 or more then there about £30.60 each. Airsoft Zone list them cheaper but not surprisingly are out of stock :(

Archived