Completely new, where to start? Is it worth it?

mambo
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Willies aside, welcome Mambo, it's a great friendly sport. Don't let the VCR act bog you down too much, just get yourself along to a skirmish site, rent or borrow for a couple games.. Chat to the site owner, get a site membership and that's all you generally need. Remember UKARA is only one such defence!

You should goto your nearest airsoft shop and have a feel of the guns. 2 tone in green and blue ain't to bad either I personally wouldn't bother if mine was 2tone unless it was in Justbbguns orange which is horrific.if your desperate for a RIF buy all the parts and build one.

• Supporters

Read this, mate, and welcome to the forums :)

• 3 years later...

Hello i have some guns i come from poland I have more like 5 years experience more like 80 battle Main question when I can find people who play close to my place second question UKARA seriosly?????? i must come for 3 game to improve thats joke??? and last question my cqb m4 have 380fps i reed here 350 its rifle limit 400fps sniper????? i must make downgrade if yes what be limit of type of guns

sorry for my dictionary 

1) Google search 'airsoft' and the county/city you're currently in or near, and you should find the websites of any nearby sites. That's the easiest way. There are some websites that map sites across the UK, but I find they tend to be a little outdated.

2) You must play 3 games in no less that 2 months (so 3 games spread across 9+ weeks, for example). You can then apply for UKARA and use your number when buying from retailers. This is to try and reduce the number of people buying airsoft guns for non-airsoft purposes.

3) Most have site limits of 350FPS for your M4, 500FPS for a sniper rifle. The legal limits in UK law are 370FPS on an automatic gun, 519FPS on a semi-automatic. You should downgrade your M4 when you can to below 350FPS if you want to use it.

Hope that helps.

• Head Moderator
3 minutes ago, Greg147 said:

3) Most have site limits of 350FPS for your M4, 500FPS for a sniper rifle. The legal limits in UK law are 370FPS on an automatic gun, 519FPS on a semi-automatic. You should downgrade your M4 when you can to below 350FPS if you want to use it.

UK law - The permitted kinetic energy level is:

(a) 1.3 Joules for all guns capable of discharging two or more missiles successively without repeated pressure on the trigger

(b) 2.5 Joules for single action guns

3 hours ago, Jedi_Master said:

UK law - The permitted kinetic energy level is:

(a) 1.3 Joules for all guns capable of discharging two or more missiles successively without repeated pressure on the trigger

(b) 2.5 Joules for single action guns

Ooops, forgot to say the FPS was with a .20g BB. My bad, thank you for the correction!

On 08/01/2015 at 3:02 PM, mambo said:

Hey there everybody.

I was always interested in having a go in a proper airsoft skirmish and I went to one or two back in my fatherland (Poland) but I couldn't afford any of the gear then. Now when I can, I happen to live on your beautiful island and rules on ASG aren't really clear to me.

What I'm used to is: get whatever gun you want and go shoot your friends with it wherever you want as long as there's no people there and just don't poke anybody's eye out with a bb... I found that it's a bit strict around here... SO! I gathered that I can't buy an actual RIF unless I get something two coloured and go out skirmishing couple of times and then register somewhere... correct? What's the minimum formalities I have to go through to actually get myself started?

Do you know of any official skimishing sites in a reasonable driving distance from Worcester? Does any of you live in this area and could invite me along to one of the games?

Thanks for all your help,

Tom

Hi Tom,

The most relevant law to airsoft is the VCR act (commonly referred to as the VCRA). Because guns are difficult to come by in the UK, criminals often use replicas to carry out robberies and assaults. To combat this, the VCR act prohibits someone from selling a “realistic imitation firearm” (RIF) UNLESS the customer has a valid “defence” - of which playing airsoft is one, along with things such as film and tv use, theatre, museums, reenactments etc. It was put in place to try and make it harder for common criminals to buy realistic gun replicas.

Having a gun painted in a bright colour is what separates a “realistic imitation firearm” from and “imitation firearm”. You do not need to buy your own multi coloured gun first - there are LOTS of airsoft sites that usually run on weekends (some inner city CQB venues do weekday evenings I think as well) and they own lots of realistic airsoft guns that you can always hire, although you will often need to book in advance. Once you have played at least 3 games in a space of no less than 2 months, you will be considered a “regular player”, and will be able to purchase realistic imitation firearms for airsoft. Usually, retailers will verify this by asking for your UKARA registration, which is a database that you can apply to through your local airsoft site once you meet the 3 games 2 months criteria. Registration is easy, and is renewed annually.

The burden of law for airsoft gun sales falls on the seller - commercial or private - to ensure that the customer is eligible under one of the VCRA defences. If they’re selling to someone for film/tv work, they’ll usually want to see a copy of the project insurance certificate that accounts for using realistic imitation firearms. I got into airsoft from filming, and in my case it was a letter from my university confirming the requirement for a realistic imitation firearm for a project. If it’s for airsoft, UKARA is pretty much universally accepted.

Every experienced airsofter will tell you NOT to rush into buying a two tone RIF when you start. Instead, just use the hire guns from the airsoft sites for a while, and get a feel for what kind of gun you want. After 4 or 5 games, you’ll find you have a much better understanding of how it all work and in the UK, and also you’ll already be able to get your UKARA to buy a realistic gun.

It is a very serious offence to carry gun - real or not - in a public place without good reason, and if someone suspects you of having a gun, a police tactical response squad will suddenly intercept you on a priority alert and arrest you. It has happened to lots of careless airsofters in the past, don’t let it happen to you - you should always have a way of transporting your guns out of sight. A gun bag is recommended.

To get yourself started formally, all you need is a UK address and a local airsoft site. Book in with them for a skirmish and ask for hire kit, it’ll usually be £40-50 for the day including all the gear, and you’re all set, simple as that :)

On 1/12/2015 at 11:00 AM, mambo said:

I think I'd like to spend not more than around £100-£150 on a gun for now. I was looking at couple of guns at JustBBGuns at they have like a M4 and AK47B

Please please please for the love of all that is good, do not buy anything from JustBBGuns.  Follow Lozarts advice.  Research a gun you like and then get your UKARA defence to buy it from somewhere else.  Buy cheap buy twice.  And JustBBGuns is VERY cheap sh*t

Welcome dude.

I can tell you this, I started very recently and I freaking love it. A friend bought me a RIF as a gift and once I got my UKARA, I went and spend nearly £500 in goods. I have never felt so excited about buying something before like I did with the airsoft goodies. 

It's fun, and it's so bloody worth it. :P

7 hours ago, EvilMonkee said:

Please please please for the love of all that is good, do not buy anything from JustBBGuns.  Follow Lozarts advice.  Research a gun you like and then get your UKARA defence to buy it from somewhere else.  Buy cheap buy twice.  And JustBBGuns is VERY cheap sh*t

I agree with @EvilMonkee . Plus, they are useless. A lot of the local players i play with told me to stay away from them.

thank's for help but i check local map last update be on 2012 nothing in Worcester an how i can get UKARA if I dont have nobody who shooting airsoft close to my city :( I DONT WONT BUY GUN I wont just only play if somebody know something about close by worcester zone please send priv

• Supporters
11 hours ago, michbak11 said:

thank's for help but i check local map last update be on 2012 nothing in Worcester an how i can get UKARA if I dont have nobody who shooting airsoft close to my city :( I DONT WONT BUY GUN I wont just only play if somebody know something about close by worcester zone please send priv

You don't need UKARA just to play, only to buy.

Archived