New Player From Ipswich

Brilly91

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi All,

Im Stefan, i recently decided to get in to the hobby after over hearing someone talking about airsoft and remembering the fun i had shooting when i was younger (Owned Air rifles, paintball guns and airsoft).

I never did airsoft at a site and just shot at friends on a local field. The guns we used to play with most of the time may aswell have been potato guns with no accuracy or distance to shots but fun none the less.

So since getting the idea of airsoft in my head ive done plenty of research in to what i want/need etc and have ordered a few quids worth of bits. Since Ukara is now a hobby wide scheme that didnt exist when i was younger ive had to order myself a two tone gun for now as i didnt fancy renting when the cash to rent could go towards a nice starter gun aka future back up. :)

So far ive brought myself -

1 x G&G CM16 Raider L

5 x Kings Arms Mid Cap mags

2 x 8.4v batteries

1 x Charger

1 x speedloader

A pair of combat trousers

A green hoody

Black tac gloves

A shemagh

Ive got a few items left to grab most importantly eye protection - I wear glasses and have a pair of chunky black plastic frames which i assume are going to be hard to get goggles over, i cant wear contacts either. Annoying!!!

Also i need to decide on a brand of pellets, now i know not to go cheap but what brands do people recommend?

Anything else important missing that i need?

Sorry for all the text, my fingers talk more than my mouth and thats saying something!!!! ^_^

Good choice on the starting stuff so far, even went for midcaps!

The go-to brand for good value bb's tend to be Blaster Devils 0.25g - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ASG-DEVIL-BLASTER-6MM-BBS-0-25G-3000-WHITE-25-AIRSOFT-6MM-PELLETS-/221446924024?pt=UK_SportingGoods_OtherSports&hash=item338f43e6f8

There's endless arguments to which are the best, but they're one of the more popular - and budget friendly, options.

Glasses are going to be more tricky, don't think I've seen anyone wear eye pro over glasses before.

One option is to go for Revision goggles (or another brand which does the same) and get prescription inserts for them, but I imagine these would fog up like hell.

'fraid I cant be much more help with that.

Welcome to the forums mate

Was gonna say the same myself, good to see you got yourself a nice gun cos too many people make the mistake of buying some shit stuff at first.

My dad uses Bolle PILOT (also called PILOPSI) goggles over his glasses. If yours have big frames then I'm not sure they'll fit though. The PILOT goggles do look pretty stupid as well in my opinion, but at least they work for him cos I've heard many people have this problem.

There are a few guides on here that can help with the remaining few items you might want to get. Ian has a Guide to Noobism, amongst other suggestions are good boots which would be a good idea if you don't have some already.

Hi welcome to the forum and the hobby, it looks like you know what youre doing already good choice of gear.

I wear glasses under my goggles, The best thing you can do is try some on and just see if they fit thats what I had to do.

There is the option of prescription lenses being placed into holders, I have Viper ballistic glasses with this feature. As you can see in the picture the clear plastic inserts.

I decided against this method because it would cost me £80 to have lenses made, however if you think your glasses will not fit under goggles it may be your only option. I actually still have these glasses only used them twice, comes with all the stuff in this picture (picture is not mine) I can sell them to you if you want for £25 :)

Oh and also I live at the university of Essex in Colchster, so im next to Ipswich :)

lastly I use ASG Blasters, primarily because the come in a bottle and not a bag. they're also very good value.

Viper%20Tactical%20Glasses.jpg

Thanks for the welcome and advice :)

Ive ordered some blaster pellets and the bolle pilot goggles also as if the measurement i saw are right theyll fit with a few mm spare. I already have a couple of pairs of boots (a work set & my old cadets pair) laying around thatll do me nicely.

Im glad it sounds like ive gone for the right gear also, i did plenty of research before finally getting the g&g. I obviously went for it as it seems to be the go to gun for newbies and a great place to start in the hobby. I did have my eye on a few other guns but couldnt justify spending £300 on a gun alone in the end.

Oh and also I live at the university of Essex in Colchster, so im next to Ipswich :)

You doing any airsoft while at uni? if so any sites youd recommend locally? Im going to Raven next week providing my gun turns up but would be great to know if others are worth a look at also.

Yeah, Skirmish billericay and Dragon Lair airsoft.

There is a good one I hear in kent blue-water called the sandpit, may go there soon.

Ive heard that sandpit is good to, my other halfs family live in gravesend so may give it a try myself at some point.

Thanks for the welcome and advice :)

Ive ordered some blaster pellets and the bolle pilot goggles also as if the measurement i saw are right theyll fit with a few mm spare. I already have a couple of pairs of boots (a work set & my old cadets pair) laying around thatll do me nicely.

Im glad it sounds like ive gone for the right gear also, i did plenty of research before finally getting the g&g. I obviously went for it as it seems to be the go to gun for newbies and a great place to start in the hobby. I did have my eye on a few other guns but couldnt justify spending £300 on a gun alone in the end.

You doing any airsoft while at uni? if so any sites youd recommend locally? Im going to Raven next week providing my gun turns up but would be great to know if others are worth a look at also.

I know of 3 sites close to Colchester, only one I've been to at Ipswich is Ravens. Great woodland site, nice chap who runs it, although think I'll wait a month or so before I go back to let things dry out a bit. Parking's not great there unfortunately and it gets even more interesting after heavy rain.

Around Colchester there are-

Bunker 39 at Fingeringhoe (hurr hurr)

Gunsmoke near Tiptree

Raw War in Weeley direction

Second two are primarily paintball sites which have started to get into Airsoft, might be one more but cant think of where it is..

I know of 3 sites close to Colchester, only one I've been to at Ipswich is Ravens. Great woodland site, nice chap who runs it, although think I'll wait a month or so before I go back to let things dry out a bit. Parking's not great there unfortunately and it gets even more interesting after heavy rain.

Gunsmoke near Tiptree

Second two are primarily paintball sites which have started to get into Airsoft, might be one more but cant think of where it is..

hmmm good point about drying out i could imagine itll be very boggy there :o

As for fingeringhoe, cant mention the place to someone who isnt local without them almost wetting themselves!

Ill have a nose at the other sites as only really looked at raven so far.

Gunsmoke near Tiptree

I just checked out the raven air soft website (Their website looks great [coming from a developer]) I noticed on the 25th they have a milsim event. I might go to that if im free.

Have you ever been to a "milsim" event there Adam?

hmmm good point about drying out i could imagine itll be very boggy there :o

As for fingeringhoe, cant mention the place to someone who isnt local without them almost wetting themselves!

Ill have a nose at the other sites as only really looked at raven so far.

It's not as bad as some when wet (gunsmoke was one massive bog), but the parking is on the edge of the lane going past the site. One time I went with a mate his car started sliding off the road, damaged an alloy getting it back up.

But Raven's is great fun during the warmer months, large woodland area with some fun cqb sections as well. Safe zone is a bit ramshackle though, could do with some work.

Edit @Josh:

Afraid not, they've only started doing those quite recently. But with a site that size and a decent turn out I know they could pull off some fun milsim-lite games.

It's not as bad as some when wet (gunsmoke was one massive bog), but the parking is on the edge of the lane going past the site. One time I went with a mate his car started sliding off the road, damaged an alloy getting it back up.

But Raven's is great fun during the warmer months, large woodland area with some fun cqb sections as well. Safe zone is a bit ramshackle though, could do with some work.

My main reason for using the site is its about 10 minutes from my house so easy enough to get to, parking doesnt sound ideal though :rolleyes:

My dad uses Bolle PILOT (also called PILOPSI) goggles over his glasses. If yours have big frames then I'm not sure they'll fit though. The PILOT goggles do look pretty stupid as well in my opinion, but at least they work for him cos I've heard many people have this problem.

Thanks for the recommendation! They turned up today and they fit! Only just though with a couple mm spare

Hi brilly, I myself live off foxhall road and will be attending ravens at some point in the next month or so. You also have gunman tuddenham, a bit further afield but fantastic site. Drop me a pm soon mate and we can chat

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.