What gun should a newbie buy, I am thinking...

Mastertrik

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

So basically i have been airsofting a few times and am looking into getting a gun i was thinking of getting this one http://www.zerooneairsoft.com/product_info.php?cPath=268_318&products_id=6084

as i heard g&g are a good make and i have reasd and watched many reviews saying the gun is very good, but my friend says it is awful and not much better than the rentals they give u and all i really want is one that is better thatn the rentals and can out perform them.

So he sent me this link, http://www.zerooneairsoft.com/product_info.php?products_id=2102 . Obviously it is a bit more exspensive but i also dont want some rubbish that is going to break every five minutes.

I would like it if anyone could give me their thoughts on the guns that i have linked. It sems that the first is very good for what you are getting, but i have been told by a friend its rubbish.

i found this http://airsoftzone.co.uk/starter-packs/starter-pack-deal-with-cm18-mod-1-m4-bright-green-aeg-gng. I read on the general post that someone else had bought this and had reccomended it. I was originally looking at this and like the green two tone.

To be taken in consideration i am not really bothered by top notch guns i just want a gun that doesnt make me feel like i need to run away from a firefight

I believe this gun will do the job. I am still doing my research but your suggestions and advice are highly valued, thanks.

• Supporters

Do u mean the G&G Combat Machine AEG CM16 Raider L DST or g&g as a brand

I have that very same gun :D exelent range, good ROF, plenty of rail space. never let me down, and its had some 36000+ bb's through it (and it will be 2 in may :wub: ).

The only thing i have done to the gun, is clean the barrel and charge the battery :lol:

• Supporters

Thanks for all the feedback.

And so the decisive question is this better than a rental gun from Ground Zero the place where i go airsofting

Almost certainly but rental guns are very inconsistent. I remember using one that struggled to shoot more than 30-40 metres and another where the spring in the high cap magazine was knackered. Even if you got a hire gun that for all intents and purposes is a great model, well it could have be using to dig a hole by the previous rental player.... basically they get treated awfully and generally maintained only enough so they fire.

• Supporters

Thanks for all the feedback.

And so the decisive question is this better than a rental gun from Ground Zero the place where i go airsofting

as Esoterick says, rental guns have a hard life, no one really cares for them, they get used and abused.

forgot to add, my only gripe with my Raider L, is i bought the wrong one, i should have got either the standard or the short version, as there is no advantage to the longer version ... it just weighs slightly more, and can sometimes get in the way etc.

Rental guns take a lot of abuse, but that said, airsoft sites want rental guns which 'take a lickin and keep on tickin', so buying the same make and model as a rental gun, whilst not a terrible idea, might not be the best thing to do, because rental guns are often not the most visually pleasing versions of a particular weapon, after all, the site cares more about robustness and reliability, because they'll be handing them out to all and sundry, including people who will drop them, smack them into walls, fire them too much on full auto, etc. But, since you are likely to look after your own weapon, you want something that is perhaps more impressive in terms of performance and looks, rather than being of merit for being robust, and that being the case, the G&G you linked to is an excellent choice, you'll do fine with that, and it is easily upgradable too, so it is a weapon which can grow with you. The Ares one would be a bad choice, it might cost more, but it is most definitely not a better weapon than the G&G one; it's less compatible with common parts than the G&G and in fact Ares, whilst quite nice visually, are notorious for having bad internal workings too, not in all cases, but it's a good general rule of thumb to be aware of, whereas G&G guns, and in particular their M4 variants, are notable for reliability and performance at a good price. Less impressive in terms of reliability are G&G's AK47/AK74 Kalashnikov variants, so if you wanted an AK type of weapon, then CYMA would be a good make to go for at the kind of price range you are looking at.

• Supporters

Yeah, your friend is talking out of his arse. It's the older Ares guns you need to beware of and their M4 is an old design. I have a vintage Ares gun, an L1A1, and it is a real pain in the hole.

The CM16 and CM18 are internally the same beast, iirc, so pick whichever's looks you prefer. You will not be disappointed by either.

Is there a particular reason why you want an AR-15 variant? Have you tried shouldering any other assault rifles?

There is no reasoning behind my chose other than i have heard they are good guns, it looks good and the price is within my budget and you get soem much needed things included in the bundle

Oh and also the sights on the cm18 mod 1 are better in my opinion (looks wise) also it is a longer gun and thats what i would prefer

The Raider L is a longer version for the same price but its a bit to long for my liking

• Supporters

There is no reasoning behind my chose other than i have heard they are good guns, it looks good and the price is within my budget and you get soem much needed things included in the bundle

Oh and also the sights on the cm18 mod 1 are better in my opinion (looks wise) also it is a longer gun and thats what i would prefer

The Raider L is a longer version for the same price but its a bit to long for my liking

As far as the combat machine range goes just go for what you like the look of, they are all the same internally.

What I wish new players would do is look at different guns and then ask us to suggest the best version of that gun for their budget. That way we would not be stuck with recommending combat machines. The G&G combat machine range are good beginners guns IF YOU WANT AN M4. For similar money you could get a Cyma AK, a JG G36...

There are a lot of different guns available and it's fun to see what happens when you turn up to sites with anything other than an M4. I should know, I typically have a Sten and an SMLE and never have to be bored with no-one to talk to in the safe zone :)

Can't wait until my Owen gun is ready, it's going to be a custom 1 of a kind and most people will have never heard of it.

• Supporters

I would suggest you have a hold of a few different assault rifles before making your choice. There are issues of ergonomics to each broad design type which may/may not suit you. Oh and check this out.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.