The Whisk(e)y thread

AirsoftTed

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Try without ice. Ice will reduce the flavour so all you would get is the taste of the alcahol. At room temperature you will get more of those flavours you had afterwards.

• Supporters

Oh yeah, i forgot to mention it's also on the strong and unsubtle side :lol: I think it goes well with cheese and oatmeal crackers, or 70-80% cocoa chocolate.

My go to is Jura 10. Started on it years ago when it was around £25 a bottle bug now it has leapt right up to around £35 in my local co op. Luckily they run it on special a lot.

My wife is pretty good for looking out for interesting stuff. Big fan of the Japanese whisky. They do a cracking drop, the ground makes it ideal though the price has gone up since the earthquake.

Also tried a very nice Dutch and swedish whisky plus I also had the white and mckay Shackleton expedition recreation. Again very nice.

Know I have something lined up for Xmas so we shall see.

As for the water issue, the purists recommend just a drop of water as apparently it just takes some of the edge off but opens up the flavours. I prefer it neat!

Slight change but for me this time of year, it has to be a smooth glass of brandy and an even smoother bottle of port :)

Dr Pepper? Away you heathen!

I said I'd read it was good with Dr pepper not that I drink it with it. Even so I'm going to try it now, in my book it doesn't qualify as heracy because Jim beam Maple is actually a liqueur and not a Whiskey ;)

I think its only classed as a liqueur as its infused with maple flavour as opposed to the flavour coming from the cask, so technically it can't be classed as a bourbon, but effectively thats what it is. Jim Beam also do cherry and an apricot flavoured liqueur versions too. Bloody nice stuff though! :)

It's because its below the proof required to be classed as a bourbon (40%). Also, the lack of colour supposedly suggests a lack of whiskey, or a young whiskey. I think it's more of a young whiskey rather than a lack of it, but I reckon it tastes nice whatever it is! BTW, with Dr pepper it is lovely. You'd struggle to tell there was any alcohol in it at all mate :ph34r:

Any of you Gent's tried Tullamore dew? It's taken my eye, wondering if its any good. Noticed I have similar taste to most of you so this should be a good place to ask!

Huge fan of single malts especially from the Islay/Jura region.

Currently got a bottle of Laphroaig 10yr on the go and a Jura Superstition waiting to be opened.

My preferred way of drinking is just straight in the glass with nothing else, ice waters down the flavour.

Cant stand bourbon or blended whisky, tastes a bit rough for my liking.

• Supporters

No I don't think I have tried Tullemore Dew, mate. I have enjoyed Laphroaig before though but the standard 10yr old is a bit of a hooligan, in the same way the Talisker is. For a more complex and smoother drop their Quarter Cask stuff is good...

• 4 weeks later...
  • Supporters

^^What brand is it? Is it older than you, by any chance :lol:?

Glenfiddich. No I'm 26 but I am very immature :D

Yeah, cos the rest us us guys who run around the woods playing soldiers at weekends are totally mature and stuff!

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.