Help me with my shotgun crisis!

muratheleteli

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hey, so i've basically already got a KWA g36c aeg which is nice and reliable but to be honest it gets a tinsie bit boring after a while. I need to upgrade my secondary and i want to spice it up a bit. So i have decided on getting a nice strong shotgun.

Now, i have found this: http://www.zerooneairsoft.com/product_info.php?products_id=1854

So it's a TM tri-shot and for the most part i've heard good things about it. It's mostly plastic body which is expected from TM but what makes me question the quality is its fps. Obviously TM guns have a 280 fps limit which is fine when it comes to full auto aeg's but for a shotgun? I would expect shotguns to have 350-400fps because... well... it's a shotgun.

I need help with making a decision. Is the low fps a legitimate issue or is it me being fps hungry? Is single shot shotguns really that bad in cqb? What airsoft brands make quality shotguns?

If you can help with anything i would greatly appreciate it. I always have tried to be different and disadvantage myself for fun and in airsoft, it's in the form of a shotgun.

Also, what is the general opinion on: http://www.patrolbase.co.uk/airsoft-shotguns-and-grenade-launchers/asg-franchi-sas-12.htm#.VIoGAvl_v-s

• Supporters

I'm set on a shotgun, no point in having two aegs tbh. A few people have said DE trishots break and get jammed etc. Do you have any information regarding this? Thanks.

I really wouldn't advise spending almost £200 on a spring shotgun. Double eagle tri shots are just as good and are a lot cheaper. I can say this from experience as I owned a Marui Spas 12 and currently own a DE Tri shot. Neither of them jammed on me, and both of them felt plasticy.

Why not have a look at Marui Gbb pistols? Or save up a bit more and get a Marui gas M870?

have you looked at the TM M870's? gas shotgun and comes in a breacher or tactical models

Thing is, gas shotguns are shell ejecting and they are super inefficent in skirmish when you have to pick the shells up. So i would much much prefer spring powered.

Monty, hi i already have a gas pistol so literally all i want is a shotgun from now on, i'm not just yet ready to start buying more than one of each type of gun... i'm a bit broke for that :P . My first airsoft gun was a double eagle ak74 and the gears basically messed up, and i have heard a lot of negativity on the reliability of the brand. If their quality is guaranteed can you link me the one that you have?

• Supporters

Thing is, gas shotguns are shell ejecting and they are super inefficent in skirmish when you have to pick the shells up. So i would much much prefer spring powered.

Monty, hi i already have a gas pistol so literally all i want is a shotgun from now on, i'm not just yet ready to start buying more than one of each type of gun... i'm a bit broke for that :P . My first airsoft gun was a double eagle ak74 and the gears basically messed up, and i have heard a lot of negativity on the reliability of the brand. If their quality is guaranteed can you link me the one that you have?

No, The Marui M870 isn't super inefficient nor does it eject shells, it's very good. It uses the Tri shot shells.

DE AEG's are quite bad, but they got the Trishots right. I use the DE M56C, it was purchased second hand, the previous owner did some work to it: He added a rail on the bottom of the hanguard so I can use different grips, and he added a rail onto the receiver. Does make it a lot better aesthetically and the grip helps with pumping the shotgun.

TM M870 isnt a shell ejecter...it is a beast though!

Mate of mine has one and it is lethal. Optio for 3 bbs per trigger pull or 6 bbs per trigger pull. Range is ridiculous too.

• Supporters

The TM is neither a shell ejector, nor inefficient as mentioned above.

The Double eagle guns are all pretty crap with the exception of the m56 shotguns, they do a range of them with different stocks and barrel lengths. Get one of those unless you can afford a TM. If you can afford one, you'd be mad to go for anything else. TM spring shot guns are a waste, more money for pretty much the same thing.

The TM is neither a shell ejector, nor inefficient as mentioned above.

The Double eagle guns are all pretty crap with the exception of the m56 shotguns, they do a range of them with different stocks and barrel lengths. Get one of those unless you can afford a TM. If you can afford one, you'd be mad to go for anything else. TM spring shot guns are a waste, more money for pretty much the same thing.

I don't think i have the money to keep topping up a second gas weapon. Also, my budget is £200.

So would you recommend the one i linked in the OP or a DE one? DE sounds unreliable and bound to break from various reviews.

I don't think i have the money to keep topping up a second gas weapon. Also, my budget is £200.

So would you recommend the one i linked in the OP or a DE one? DE sounds unreliable and bound to break from various reviews.

The DE and the TM trishots are the same thing, just the TM ones are more expensive. The recent DE ones are much better, bear in mind that the reviews are from over 4 years ago in some cases.

• Supporters

I've fired a DE tri shot and was impressed by the range and accuracy. The spread is very consistent too and doesn't get wider than a man sized target until about 40m. It was plastic but a lot more solid than I expected - I don't remember it being creaky when pumped.

• Supporters

The TM, DE, ASG, whatever other brand of tri-burst spring shotty are all identical.

Again, add one to the pile of people who've never had a problem with a double eagle version

Think of it this way:

TM shotty + 6 shells = £200

DE shotty + 30 shells + another DE shotty if you're that paranoid about it breaking = £200

Assumption there is a shotty is £60 a piece, shells are £15 for 6.

I know where my money is.

To be honest, I wouldn't spend a lot on a shotgun for airsoft, because you simply don't need to. The mechanism for something like a pump action springer shotgun is pretty goddam basic, and that means that quite frankly, a 30 quid one is going to be good enough to do the job. And as far as things like tri-shots etc are concerned, for one thing it's pretty much a novelty, you've got as much chance of hitting with one BB at the kind of ranges a shotgun is useful for, and for another, even most cheap ass shotguns will allow you to rack them more than once and then fire more than one shot anyway if you so desire.

So frankly, things like the CYMA P799 (a fairly close replica of the Benelli M3 'Super 90') or the AGM Mossberg Pistol Grip (replicating a variant of the Mossberg 500 Tactical Shotgun) - both of which can easily be found for less than 30 quid from websites after a minute of Googling - will do you just as well as more expensive affairs. I do have both of these airsoft shotguns; they both have respectable FPS, the P799 does about 325 fps, the AGM does 350 fps. And I have skirmished with both of them, they are accurate, fairly long ranged and look okay too (the AGM one even has Mossberg Trademarks on it). I know the CYMA one is robust, because I've had mine for at least 15 years (probably longer) and it still shoots at 325 fps, and in spite of its age it doesn't have a scratch on it either. I've lent it to other people at skirmishes, and whilst they were initially skeptical, they agreed it was a good gun.

One thing to be aware of however, is that for 'proper skirmishing' the AGM is a better choice in terms of practicality for a number of reasons, for one thing it is shorter and so better for CQB, for another it comes with three rails, so you can put a tac light on it (and it actually comes with one included, which admittedly is not great, but better than nothing to start off with), and for another thing, the Mossberg has a removable high capacity magazine - think it holds about 150 BBs - it loads 15 BBs into the spring well when you pull the mag spring down and tilt it, when they run out, you rinse and repeat. Needless to say, a removable mag is useful for when you are in the safe area, the P799 more of a pain in the ass in that respect, since it has an internal hopper magazine - probably a couple of hundred BBs capacity - which is not that easy to unload if you have to go into the safe area, so I've tended to prop it up against a wall in the battle area and retrieve it when I go back in if I've had to nip back to the safe area and only actually unload the thing at the end of the day.

And as for all that 'ejecting shells' malarkey which some airsoft shotguns offer, whilst it is useful if you are making movies and want something that is visually accurate so you don't have to CGI the ejection, it's a novelty you can well do without in skirmishing, especially in darkened CQB areas, where the last thing you need to be doing is scrabbling about on the floor looking for your expensive gimmick shell cases.

+1 for DE/ASG shotguns. Just as robust as the TM for a third of the price. I would buy TM shells over the clone ones though - much more reliable though the newer style DE ones are quite good.

Another shotgun to consider is the Maruzen CA870 range. Quite an old gun now but built to last - really high quality construction. Downsides are the fixed hop up and the fact that it's single shot but it's basically a CQB sniper when you find the right weight of BB for it (.25g for my old one). 40 round magazines can be picked up for around £8-10 as well and there are a lot of g&p aftermarket parts available for it but they're not that common to find

ive had a double eagle i sold and regretted even though it was for profit, got a tm, broke the stock off it. made a new one, broke the body, got given a broken double eagle to use as parts and fix it, getting to open and compare the internals, tbh the internals of the tm are no better than the double eagle, in fact the double eagle was cleaner...

now saying that the externals of the tm were better, but for £100 difference they are not that much better and i wouldn't say they are any tougher. the accuracy seems to be pretty much the same an spread too. the only thing i would say is that the tm shells do feed a lot better(to the point i dont even carry the asg ones i got... also if youve never run a shotgun for long before dont waste a lot of money as many i find go for it and their arm is soon hanging off them as the spring power is more than they can cope with for a period of time. may as well go for the cheaper and see if you can stick it.

and one more entry, i recently got a gfg, better externals than the double eagle for about the same money, the shells seem to be on par with the tm ones and shoots just as well as both. i have been considering one of the gas powered shotguns with the tank in the stock but ive heard of the tanks being leaky and a general pain in the arse(one of the members of a team i used to be on got one and we had a shotgun challenge trying to kill each other, which my springer easily won...)dont think ill go gas till an aa12 gets released, and even then the cost of thatll likely mean i wont be able to afford it.

so dont go tm youll be wasting your money. this the only time you will see people not recommending tm

As per everyone else, go for the DE M56 or new TM Breacher. Had my M56 about 6 years and not had any problem. Range is good even with the fixed hop in woodland. Its the long fixed stock version so there is a little flex, wouldn't want to use it inadvertently as a walking stick lol but nothing major.

• Supporters

so dont go tm youll be wasting your money. this the only time you will see people not recommending tm

Oh I dunno - I'd always recommend the CYMA clone AK's over the TM originals - I've had the TM gearbox apart and the gears are made from cheese.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.