Upgrades for my barrel, hop-up unit and spring on my VFC HK416?

ballen

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi all,

I'm hoping the more 'techy' amongst you will be able to help me out... I've recently bought a Umarex (VFC) HK416 (CQB ver) and had my first proper game day with it yesterday... It performed ok but I'd like to get the gun to chrono higher than 290 FPS (ideally the 350 FPS mark) as well as add a larger tight bore barrel to it especially since I've now added a 180mm silencer (this one) to the gun, I could make use of the extra space to increase accuracy I guess!

So from research I've done so far (on YouTube), adding a new barrel seems fairy simple (well once you've got the hop-up unit added to it) so I plan to remove the old barrel and hop-up unit as one piece and leave it as a spare or in case in future I plan to remove the silencer again. So really I'm looking for advice on the following items I guess:

1) Best spring? (My site limit is 350FPS (absolutely no higher than 370FPS) so I guess I should be looking for an M100 spring?... I've heard that Guarder or Systema are probably the best?)

2) Best tight bore barrel you guys can recommend (455mm, I'm assuming best to go with 6.03mm width as 6.01mm version may jam a little too much for my liking) anyone used or recommend this MadBull one any good or recommend another brand over the Madbull one?

3) Best (complete - I'll need the bucking rubber too etc.) hop-unit?

This is my first real DIY upgrade after replacing motors etc. and money isn't really too much of an issue as I personally feel that you get what you pay for and I'd rather get the *best* bits I can now rather than get 'better' bits and maybe regret them later.

I know that this post may open a whole load of 'what do you mean by best' questions but I guess what I'm asking is, if you was upgrading these bits what would you upgrade them with (if money wasn't an issue - within reason of course, I'm not going to pay £500 for a hop-up unit ;)), you guys have more experience than me in upgrading guns and the quality of certain manufactures products etc.

Thanks all and I really appreciate any advise and if possible part numbers/site links so I can buy them :)

Thanks again,

Bobby

I haven't done it personally but my mate swapped his ICS M4 barrel to a 6.03 or 6.01 and that went over site limits so he stuck an M90 spring in

Most people I know who've changed barrel, goes with madbull as there steel, brass ones cause to much friction

My M416 was in the same boat as yours. FPS was "meh" for an assault rifle and accuracy could of been better. So, first I replaced the stock inner barrel. I have the long barrel version so my barrel length is 455mm without a suppressor. I put in a MadBull black Python 455mm 6.03 tightbore. After that I put in an SHS M100 spring. Combined with the inner barrel this gives me around the 340 mark with .20g bb's. However a word of warning, the spring will need to break in a little. When I first installed thethe M100 spring, it was shooting at 365ish. After a few games it breaks in and lowers a bit.

I wasn't keen on the trigger response either, so I put a M140 high speed/ high torque motor and wired it to deans (highly recommend you do!).

The hop up unit, I run a Ultimate Metal hop up chamber along with a firefly bucking and flat nub. Most people tend to go with this however some inner barrels hop up window is too small for the Firefly flat nub so be careful or you'll have to do some modifying. Other than that, the gun is stock. I use an 11.1v LiPo without a MOSFET (stupidly) however I can't find any techs to wire it up so it'll have to do for now.

Hope it gives you some reference points for you to work on.

Thanks for your responses guys and especially DEDSEC, that is exactly the kind of reply I was hoping for :) - You've certainly given me a few things to think about, I've had a quick look online at the parts you've mentioned and plan to buy them but would you mind just checking the links below to make sure they are what you have?

Apparently G&P no longer make the M140 motor (in the Long version) so I'll probably get one of these instead as for the Deans connectors, I personally always change the stand Tamia connectors for Deans so no problem there :), I'll also pick up a M100 spring too (and let it bed in to settle to my site limit :))

Thanks again for your reply and if you can spare me just a few more minutes that would be very much appreciated :)

Thanks,

Bobby

1) Best spring? (My site limit is 350FPS (absolutely no higher than 370FPS) so I guess I should be looking for an M100 spring?... I've heard that Guarder or Systema are probably the best?)

m90 if you wanna be safe. never heard or felt that brand on the spring should matter.

• Supporters

1) i like guarder springs myself, a sp100 should see 350fps with 0.2's (think i put up a chart somewhere that said what you *might* for a particular spring etc)

2) - i cannot answer this as i despise tight bore barrels (the one that my 2nd hand G&G L85 had in it did nothing but cause problems imho, swapped it and the hop for standard items ... huge range and no problems) .... there is a reason why TM ship there VSR's with 6.08 barrels ;) (note admittedly you will see a minor FPS upgrade with a TTB)

3) this is a personel choice thing ... thought imho note-able hop rubbers are G&G and TM

• Supporters

Blimey on the motor - could get half decent SHS/ZCI/Big Dragon for less than half that

(even a third of that if ya hunt around)

Motor can be changed to a max beefy one easily at later date if you find it a must

I mean you will be pulling a M100-ish spring - M105 tops not a DMR or M190 with DSG

But up to you I guess, but money saved will go towards the tbb, couple of springs, buckings etc....

Until you get the spring,seals,hop all sorted I think a decent £30-£35 motor will be ok

May find you don't need to spend £86 on a motor once she is running sweet internally

Cheers for the additional advice guys, really appreciate it :) - I'll have a good think about the bits I'll be getting then.

The firefly bucking looks good as it has two points of contact - if however this doesn't really matter and not really notice that much performance I guess I'll just go for a TM bucking - Is performance/accuracy greatly improved with a firefly (two point contact bucking?)

Thanks again guys,

Bobby

Thanks for your responses guys and especially DEDSEC, that is exactly the kind of reply I was hoping for :) - You've certainly given me a few things to think about, I've had a quick look online at the parts you've mentioned and plan to buy them but would you mind just checking the links below to make sure they are what you have?

Apparently G&P no longer make the M140 motor (in the Long version) so I'll probably get one of these instead as for the Deans connectors, I personally always change the stand Tamia connectors for Deans so no problem there :), I'll also pick up a M100 spring too (and let it bed in to settle to my site limit :))

Thanks again for your reply and if you can spare me just a few more minutes that would be very much appreciated :)

Thanks,

Bobby

You pretty much nailed it. Not the hop up nub I got as I have the Firefly flat nub in red from Eagle6. I also have the tracer unit built into the hop up chamber which isn't necessary however I occasionally play night games so it helps my circumstances.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.