Don't want to skirmish, but want to do rapid target shooting.

Smudgerii

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

Is this legal to buy without UKARA? http://www.airgunbuyer.com/details.asp?cat=CO2&SubCat=CO2%20Pistols&Product=3547

obviously not realistic, but not two tone either. Maybe this is my answer...

That is unrealistic to someone who knows about firearms, but not to the genpop, so no the retailer cannot sell that to anyone who cannot provide a defence.

• Supporters

http://www.patrolbase.co.uk/airsoft/umarex-elite-force-racegun-co2-airsoft-pistol.htm#.VHNTB8kknIU

valid defense/UKARA req if you purchased from patrol base - very clear & vivid

end of the day it is down to retailer - it is them that could be in "firing line" so to speak

personally a non blowback £27 co2 will do me with a touch of blue on it

or nearly half that in black once ukara'd

but in the light of recent stuff in the news and the way some dumb 12yr kid shot dead

plus the way that numerous anon/guests browse these forums I will leave it there

- The ricochets would be a lot less dangerous from an airsoft pistol.

Thou if using pellets rather than BBs that problem is pretty much non existing.. and you can use rifled barrel, YEEEEEEEEEY!!! :D

• Supporters

Thou if using pellets rather than BBs that problem is pretty much non existing.. and you can use rifled barrel, YEEEEEEEEEY!!! :D

I was referring to magazine fed air pistols that use the copper .177 BBs, not the rotary mag style ones that fire the skirted pellets.

• Supporters

Wouldn't membership of a target shooting club qualify as defence though?

• Supporters

Wouldn't membership of a target shooting club qualify as defence though?

No, not by the letter of the law, but i wouldn't be surprised if some target shooting clubs are UKARA registered.

• 6 years later...

Got to applaud a spam bot that's so good at seemlessly blending in and going unnoticed.

Edit: I don't have the option to report it, just gives me 'Share' when I click the 3 dots. If someone that does have the 'Report' option could please do the honours that'd be ace.

Edited by alxndrhll

On 22/11/2014 at 19:46, Smudgerii said:

Have a couple of air pistols ( springer & pnuematic ) and air rifles including HPA converted co2's, just wanted to try the 6mm airsoft. Not looking to dodge the VCRA but enquiring if UKARA is the only option available. If thats all thats available then I will abandon the idea as skirmishing is not something I fancy doing.

Accuracy and consistency are always the key, and working on my technique goes on.... As will working on my own guns.

You don’t need to skirmish to get UKARA. Target shooting, practical pistol etc at a UKARA registered site are just as valid reason to gain UKARA as skirmishing.

Thats how I keep mine up

UKARA is just a way of proving your defence and is not needed, it just makes things easier.  The defence is the of " Acting out Law Enforcement or Military Scenarios".  You are not doing this, so the airsoft defence does not technically apply to you.  After all in the firearms world lots of three gun and other paractical shooting disciplines use wildlly coloured guns to get away from the image of them being weapons.  I agree this is a bit of a pisser but it is fact.

If you want a black airsoft gun I suggest you play your three games in not less than two months and get a site membership, wether it is linke dto UKARA or not, that is your proof of defence.  Who knows you may actually like it.  Otherwise nice blue or red slide ona Hi Capa or Glock it is. :)

holy thread revival batman!

Guessing it was the aforementioned bot:

7 hours ago, alxndrhll said:

Got to applaud a spam bot that's so good at seemlessly blending in and going unnoticed.

Edit: I don't have the option to report it, just gives me 'Share' when I click the 3 dots. If someone that does have the 'Report' option could please do the honours that'd be ace.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Supporters
3 hours ago, novioman said:

Join the sportsman Association, most shops accept this as a defence now. 

Can you list the retailers that do accept it, versus those who don't?  I ask because you said "most", which implies a demonstrable plurality.

• Supporters
16 hours ago, novioman said:

Patrol Base don’t.

Firesupport, Airsoftworld, Wolf Armouries, Defcon Airsoft, land warrior, weekend warrrior, Crawley Surplus, BZ Tactical, A2 supplies, all do. 

Wolf Armories only list UKARA, Defcon only list UKARA, British Airsoft Club and site membership, Land Warrior only list UKARA (and implicitly site membership), Crawley Surplus only list UKARA, BZ tactical only list UKARA, A2 only list UKARA and site membership.  Although they may very well accept it if you ask.

FireSupport, AirsoftWorld and Weekend Warrior do indeed list Sportsman Association, and/or British Association for Shooting and Conservation  (BASC).

They must surely be aware that these are not VCRA defences, neither by the letter nor the spirit of the law - if your interest is in target shooting, it doesn't matter if you have a RIF or an IF, right?

Still, it could be worse. There's one site that just allows you to tick a box saying "Yeah, mate, airsoft and that" (although somewhat bizarrely does want to see proof of age).

7 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

There's one site that just allows you to tick a box saying "Yeah, mate, airsoft and that" (although somewhat bizarrely does want to see proof of age).

I sure hope you're being sarcastic.  If thats real how the hell have they not been caught up on that yet.....

7 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

Wolf Armories only list UKARA, Defcon only list UKARA, British Airsoft Club and site membership, Land Warrior only list UKARA (and implicitly site membership), Crawley Surplus only list UKARA, BZ tactical only list UKARA, A2 only list UKARA and site membership.  Although they may very well accept it if you ask.

FireSupport, AirsoftWorld and Weekend Warrior do indeed list Sportsman Association, and/or British Association for Shooting and Conservation  (BASC).

They must surely be aware that these are not VCRA defences, neither by the letter nor the spirit of the law - if your interest is in target shooting, it doesn't matter if you have a RIF or an IF, right?

Still, it could be worse. There's one site that just allows you to tick a box saying "Yeah, mate, airsoft and that" (although somewhat bizarrely does want to see proof of age).

I have personally bought from wolf, land warrior, BZ and Crawley, no problems, and I don’t have UKARA now, only sportsman Association membership. 

• Supporters
52 minutes ago, SheriffHD said:

I sure hope you're being sarcastic.  If thats real how the hell have they not been caught up on that yet.....

Site hidden as I wouldn't want to send anyone that way.

image.png.eaee0d099ad3b5f77bd0619936449ef5.png

19 minutes ago, novioman said:

I have personally bought from wolf, land warrior, BZ and Crawley, no problems, and I don’t have UKARA now, only sportsman Association membership. 

Hmm, I guess they're operating on the basis that if they don't advertise it, they won't get caught at it.

And they are at it because that reduces it to the level of "Our defence is that the customer was prepared to pay another £25 or so".

As always, it'll be fine until it's not.

• Supporters
13 hours ago, novioman said:

I was very surprised by Firesupport acceptance of SA membership as a defence, (don’t they actually run the UKARA data base), I think once they did except it others followed suit. 

We'll, it's at their risk, and it seems to be a purely theoretical one.

And indeed, once one does it, the rest will say "Hey!  Those are dodgy sales that we could be making!"

It's commendable that PatrolBase haven't budged, and it's one reason why I'd tend to point people at them by default.

I just hope that when one of the hooky ones does get stung by Trading Standards or tugged by the fuzz that it doesn't result in the legislation being reviewed.

I know that's very unlikely too, but I'm particularly concerned about the Scotch situation - Holyrood hates anything remotely projectile related.

On 05/07/2021 at 16:57, Rogerborg said:

Site hidden as I wouldn't want to send anyone that way.

image.png.eaee0d099ad3b5f77bd0619936449ef5.png

If you think that's bad, I just ordered an AEG from a UK shop and it didn't ask for a defence or if I want it 2 toned, just that I'm over 18. The picture was of a rif so we'll see when it arrives 

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.