Don't want to skirmish, but want to do rapid target shooting.

Smudgerii

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I do a lot of air rifle shooting, but want to get back to some 'rapid' target shooting with a pistol. It appears to be impossible to do this with airsoft, is their another form of defence other than UKARA and skirmishing?

Don't want to do steel BB's, and already tried .177 pellet pistols which is nothing like the good old days of my 9mm.

The laws an ass

There is a fairly small but active IPSC style pistol shooting competition scene using airsoft guns, where are you located?

Halo Mill in Huddersfield have target sessions every Monday evening, they are a good friendly bunch and shoot everything from completely standard guns to full spec "open class".

They have been to European championships and I think have even hosted some high profile comps recently.

If you are not local to the Leeds area, you could phone them on a monday evening they may know of someone you can get in touch with.

It's definitely isn't impossible. And not really.

Get yourself a nice Marui Hi-capa 5.1 as there are tons of upgrade parts for them.

Every retailer I've contacted says "no way, not selling without ukara". Looking at the KJW KP05 with both power sources, but looking is all I seem to be able to do.

Am I the only one who's not seeing what the problem is?

If you want to get an airsoft pistol for target shooting you can, just buy a two-tone. Nobody needs any defence for anything and away you go. If you just want to rapid target shoot then the colour of the thing really shouldn't matter.

I suppose that rule could be applied to those that skirmish.. Would you apply it to those that do? Maybe they should all be two tone?

I would rather the pistol look less like a toy, because it ain't a toy.

Burnley have a very active club, the Grange do AIPSC and (as mentioned) Halo Mill - where I shoot.

A TM Hi Capa 5.1 is the place to start at and can very quickly (funds allowing) become rather silly:

10603678_10152466757541188_6069980810128

10462666_10152466517731188_1420589761896

That one cost me a bit ;)

Nice looking piece of kit. Sadly I'm an all black kind of guy, conservative old git I know....

Frankly I wouldn't care if they were all two tone. When I play airsoft I do so because it's a game, not because I want to look all speshul forces. :)

It seems to me that your initial post - 'I just want to do some target shooting' - needed to also include: 'but the fact that the thing can shoot targets is only partially the point, I also want a pretend gun that looks real.'

The funny thing is that loads of proper target shooters, like IPSC people, go out of their way to make their pistols look less like 'proper guns' (as Rock-Climby-Dave has shown)

• Supporters

"rapid" pistol could be quick with an AEP with lipo

but pi$$ poor 200fps power

Green Gas about 350-ish or CO2 will go to about 450-ish

Some of the ASG / KWA CZ range will take both CO2 & GG mags - aprox 22 bb's

and has some kick ar$e blowback and fire quicker on CO2 too

if not UKARA'd then 2-tone blue slide will be ok and could have a splash of black "spilt" on it

• Supporters

like has been said - 2 tone target pistol means jack

it is only when you skirmish that the bright orange can give your position away quicker than RIF

Like I said a little tiny bit of black paint could be " spilt " on it at a later date

but no UKARA then no RIF, still 2-tone is fine and I got a 2-tone CO2/GG pistol that is fine as it is

Frankly I wouldn't care if they were all two tone. When I play airsoft I do so because it's a game, not because I want to look all speshul forces. :)

It seems to me that your initial post - 'I just want to do some target shooting' - needed to also include: 'but the fact that the thing can shoot targets is only partially the point, I also want a pretend gun that looks real.'

The funny thing is that loads of proper target shooters, like IPSC people, go out of their way to make their pistols look less like 'proper guns' (as Rock-Climby-Dave has shown)

I'm fine with anyone enjoying the game, and even those that are happy with two tone, but for me it's about personal preference not to skirmish, and yes to have a realistic looking pistol for target shooting.

Been a "proper target shooter" for over 30 years, and always been happy with black or for the correct term blued steel. Thanks for the input, sadly none of it helpful.

In fact, in shooting air weapons your experience with real pistols would not be wasted. The gun is much more critical in airsoft target shooting as it needs to be as accurate and consistent as possible, which can require expensive modification- buying a decent air pistol will not mean you'll have to spend £££ having someone custom make you a race gun or spend slightly less money but a lot more time doing it yourself.

With air pistol shooting it's more about the method, meaning your experience with 9mm would bet very useful.

In regards to trying to dodge the VCRA without skirmishing- don't try.....it can jeopardise our hobby if more cases of VCRA-dodging are discovered.

In fact, in shooting air weapons your experience with real pistols would not be wasted. The gun is much more critical in airsoft target shooting as it needs to be as accurate and consistent as possible, which can require expensive modification- buying a decent air pistol will not mean you'll have to spend £££ having someone custom make you a race gun or spend slightly less money but a lot more time doing it yourself.

With air pistol shooting it's more about the method, meaning your experience with 9mm would bet very useful.

In regards to trying to dodge the VCRA without skirmishing- don't try.....it can jeopardise our hobby if more cases of VCRA-dodging are discovered.

Have a couple of air pistols ( springer & pnuematic ) and air rifles including HPA converted co2's, just wanted to try the 6mm airsoft. Not looking to dodge the VCRA but enquiring if UKARA is the only option available. If thats all thats available then I will abandon the idea as skirmishing is not something I fancy doing.

Accuracy and consistency are always the key, and working on my technique goes on.... As will working on my own guns.

I really recommend speaking to the guys at the range about guns for fast pistol competition, its their speciality. The do a variety of pre upgraded guns and they will likely be able to tell you the right gun platform to get started with in regards to the current situation with upgrades for consistency. They won't get around the two tone situation but there is a reasonable chance that any rapid targeting shooting place might be UKARA registered anyway so you do the usual 2 months/3 games thing and then buy the gun you want and just rent one for 3 games. But speak to the guys at the range (NW london) they deal in exactly pistols for this purpose.

I really recommend speaking to the guys at the range about guns for fast pistol competition, its their speciality. The do a variety of pre upgraded guns and they will likely be able to tell you the right gun platform to get started with in regards to the current situation with upgrades for consistency. They won't get around the two tone situation but there is a reasonable chance that any rapid targeting shooting place might be UKARA registered anyway so you do the usual 2 months/3 games thing and then buy the gun you want and just rent one for 3 games. But speak to the guys at the range (NW london) they deal in exactly pistols for this purpose.

Thanks

• Supporters

I don't understand why you can't buy a .177 air pistol to use for rapid target shooting...?

You can get a lot that are magazine fed with the power source in the magazine, they can even look realistic without you needing a defence against the VCRA. Only difference is the ammo is more expensive, metal, and there's no hop - though if you're plinking targets at short range, hop is pretty useless anyway.

The only reasons I can think of to go airsoft gun instead of air gun, is:
- There are clubs that do airsoft pistol shooting, as Dave mentioned, so you could join one of those if you went for an airsoft pistol
- The ricochets would be a lot less dangerous from an airsoft pistol.

If you're just going to do it at home then why not just get something like this?
http://www.airgundepot.com/sig-sauer-x-five-p226-full-metal-bb-pistol.html

Obviously you'd need to find a local air gun retailer that stocks that kind of stuff first, since it all has to be done face to face these days, if I remember right, but that'd be a lot simpler, cheaper, and easier, than having to play 3 airsoft games to get UKARA before buying anything.

Sadly the point of the VCRA is to only allow realistic coloured guns to be sold to people who legitimately need their guns to look realistic. For target shooting the colour is purely aesthetic. UKARA isn't the only defence, re-enactors get a defence as well but that requires membership of a re-enactment group and not every retailer will be familiar enough with this. A lot of WW2 airsofters use AFRA membership rather than UKARA, as we rarely go to the same site 3 times in a year and our games also qualify as re-enactment.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.