The L85 thread :D

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Quick question, looking at getting a Madbull Rail of fleabay for the WE L85, aside from the adaptor do I need anything else? It looks like this particular one is not included with any extra screws so Im just checking before I buy it and find out all the screws are missing.

Here's my new baby, gonna take a little work to get her game fit and I don't have the time right now, but soon my precious, soon!!!....

4leG1rj.jpg

I am now a tad confused over what version of L85 Handgaurd I have. The original listing stated in the description that it was a madbull version but I am having my doubts. I am hoping it is as I brought the adaptors for the WE :)

Here are the pictures:

post-9736-0-75481300-1416911620_thumb.jpg

There is some damage to the top rails paintwork which looks like it could be caused by gas of some description.

post-9736-0-53229500-1416911625_thumb.jpg

post-9736-0-02392500-1416911630_thumb.jpg

There is no 'For Airsoft' trade mark which i've seen the Madbull versions.

post-9736-0-04960700-1416911635_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Ben

• Supporters

I should really check up on this thread more often.

I think I may have found a solution to the out of stock vortex flash hiders for WE L85?! For whatever reason the varying manufacturers of L85s all have slight variations in the barrel thread dimensions, even if it states 14mm CCW, e.g.

http://www.rsov.com/product.php?langId=1&currencyId=1&manufacturerId=10&prodId=14487&cateId=0

This page (for WE/ICS) states a 13.8mm outer measurement of the barrel thread, with the inner of the flash hider being 14mm.

However, this page:

http://www.rsov.com/product.php?langId=1&currencyId=1&manufacturerId=10&prodId=14486&cateId=0

For Star and Ares CCW, states a 13.84mm outer measurement of the barrel thread, with the inner again being 14mm.

So, my thinking goes, it should fit a WE? right? Even looking at the design of both outer barrel threads, (there are pics on the links) they look very similar.

For $21 is it worth a punt?!

I'll let you know!! :ph34r:

It doesn't fit. Reason being, the ICS version of the flash hider has the threads right at the back end, but on the Ares version, they're recessed about an inch into the flash hider.

So you can't put it on the ICS/WE because their barrels don't reach inside it far enough to engage with the threads.

Quick question, looking at getting a Madbull Rail of fleabay for the WE L85, aside from the adaptor do I need anything else? It looks like this particular one is not included with any extra screws so Im just checking before I buy it and find out all the screws are missing.

The adaptor replaces the little green part at the back of the handguard and it shares the same screws.

The rail/adaptor ought to come with a screw to anchor the RIS to the adaptor, and you should be able to use the same screw you've already got to fasten the sling loop back on, which helps clamp the front end tight.

I am now a tad confused over what version of L85 Handgaurd I have. The original listing stated in the description that it was a madbull version but I am having my doubts. I am hoping it is as I brought the adaptors for the WE :)

Here are the pictures:

attachicon.gifPhoto0013.jpg

There is some damage to the top rails paintwork which looks like it could be caused by gas of some description.

attachicon.gifPhoto0014.jpg

attachicon.gifPhoto0015.jpg

There is no 'For Airsoft' trade mark which i've seen the Madbull versions.

attachicon.gifPhoto0016.jpg

Cheers

Ben

Looks like the real RIS to me, or if not, it's a direct clone and not a clone made to attach via a different method.
The Madbull clone RIS has a set of rails running down the inside because it slides onto a set of runners that are part of the gas block on the ICS and WE versions.

To fit it to the WE you'll need to look at Hornbill's adaptor, I think it replaces the gas block, and possibly another part that attaches to the front of the receiver above the trigger too. Not 100% as I've got the Madbull RIS.

Sorry if I sound stupid but, whats the handle on the back of the l86 for? (I tink thats what it's called lol)

It's for controlling the weapon while you use the bipod. Like using your left arm as a monopod, which is a common feature on dedicated sniper rifles.

I should really check up on this thread more often.

It doesn't fit. Reason being, the ICS version of the flash hider has the threads right at the back end, but on the Ares version, they're recessed about an inch into the flash hider.

So you can't put it on the ICS/WE because their barrels don't reach inside it far enough to engage with the threads.

The adaptor replaces the little green part at the back of the handguard and it shares the same screws.

The rail/adaptor ought to come with a screw to anchor the RIS to the adaptor, and you should be able to use the same screw you've already got to fasten the sling loop back on, which helps clamp the front end tight.

Looks like the real RIS to me, or if not, it's a direct clone and not a clone made to attach via a different method.

The Madbull clone RIS has a set of rails running down the inside because it slides onto a set of runners that are part of the gas block on the ICS and WE versions.

To fit it to the WE you'll need to look at Hornbill's adaptor, I think it replaces the gas block, and possibly another part that attaches to the front of the receiver above the trigger too. Not 100% as I've got the Madbull RIS.

Ah, thats good to know, thanks :) Starting to wish i had been less lenient with my feedback on ebay as I brought the adaptor for the Madbull one at the time. :/

From the feel of the metal im gonna guess its a clone, the metal just feels cheap.

edit.

Though it does have an NSN Trade which is something which is missing of the pictures of the Hornbill ones so far. Having never held a RS one (unless this is one O.o) the metal may well actually feel like this.

• Supporters

Ah, thats good to know, thanks :) Starting to wish i had been less lenient with my feedback on ebay as I brought the adaptor for the Madbull one at the time. :/

From the feel of the metal im gonna guess its a clone, the metal just feels cheap.

edit.

Though it does have an NSN Trade which is something which is missing of the pictures of the Hornbill ones so far. Having never held a RS one (unless this is one O.o) the metal may well actually feel like this.

give it a whack with something, if you can dent the metal on the rails with anything other than a hammer and a good whack it's a clone.

I just found out the hard way that the gas parts on the WE are wider then the RS :/ No way the handgaurd is going to go on with the current one.It will also not fit onto the rifle housing with the current Handgaurd mounting holes at the front of the rifle. The only adaptors I can find that might work is the Hornbill one for the L85 which is very pricy as it replaces both the Gas Block housing and the front mount as well. Problem is the screw to attach the RIS I have to the rifle is at an angle, while the adaptor still seems to be a straight bolt. I'm very seriously considering trying to send this back to the guy now as he did list it in the description as a Madbull version. Its going to cost about the same if not more in the end I think.

And to top it all off I just lost one of the screws to the top cover of the RIS while putting some grease on them so I now cant even send it back. 50 odd quid straight down the drain.

Guest pierce09

My ICS SA80A2. Set up for an early 2010 edition (i.e no ACOG or new flash hider)

moregoddamnvegaspics068.jpg

moreairsoftgear018.jpg

I've got a guide to HPA this so next year I'll be mostly sorting this out!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Supporters

Hello I'm about to order my first airsoft gun. Was going to go for the British army look. Im thinging about getting a Army l85A2 AEG Electric Blowback. Was wondering what you all thort of it or had any experience with one?

the army L85 is a G&G clone, i bought a G&G 2nd hand so i have a little experience.

From what i know, there is 2 issues with the gun.

1)The first one is caused by the PSG1 piston/cylinder, if yours has one, it may be shooting wayy over 350fps, and from my experience it was a bugger to get below 350 for me.

There is ways round this, you could do the conversion, whereby you swap the sector gear for a v2/3 item, fit a standard piston with a 10mm spacer between the piston and the piston head and a standard AEG spring. doing this you will lose the pre-cocking though, unless you keep the old sector gear and remove the first 2 teeth off it.

my gun had a really bad conversion done, so i re-built my gun. that said i have a new complete gear box on order (see below), as i want to try out the pre-cocking etc.

2) the blow back function. This will at some point break, as how it works is by having plastic prongs going into the spring, and attaching to the fake bolt. most people just disable it, as if it breaks .... well there are 1 or 2 horror stories about jammed and stripped pistons.

now the good news ... the gear box is really good and strong, it has a spring release leaver that releases the anti reverse latch, and it has a quick change top end facility (so you could swap the top end for different FPS sites etc). but best of all, you can get a whole new gear box off ebay for less then £60! http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Original-L85-R85-Gearbox-for-G-G-L85-AFV-L85A2-ARMY-R85-R85A1-Airsoft-AEG-/201203795357?pt=UK_Sporting_Goods_Paintballing&hash=item2ed8ae459d

Don't let this put you off though, as there isn't a perfect L85 out there, they all have there issues.

Ares have had a bad reputation for gears being made out of pressed cheese.

Avoid STAR as they apparently have plastic gear boxes.

ICS can have feed issues (a mate off mine had this with his brand new gun, soo much that he took it back), and at some point may strip its piston (see airsoft Ed's review).

My ics had some funky stuff going on with the hop, so i had a new hop arm made of metal to fix that.

Other than that, ive had no feed issues at all, even when using PTS mags instead of ics ones.

No gun is perfect, but im quite happy with mine now ive fettled with it a bit

• Supporters

Hello I'm about to order my first airsoft gun. Was going to go for the British army look. Im thinging about getting a Army l85A2 AEG Electric Blowback. Was wondering what you all thort of it or had any experience with one?

It's a poorly constructed gun. I wouldn't bother with it.

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.