The L85 thread :D

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

After seeing a newly made G36 thread, thought I'd make this.

Instead of endless trawling through the internet and gun threads I thought I would make this thread, so people who are lazy like me can see the beautiful L85 family!

Happy days..... :D

..How...

..How could you start the thread off with that monstrosity!?

You sick b*stard.

I'm going to have to ban you forever, then Ed will give you a second ban due to how offensive that image is.

I fixed it.

Going to have to ban you forever aswell for using that red dot..

..And for putting a rail on top of a rail on top of a rail..

..Monster.

Better not post a picture of mine then... Coz it has a red dot on top of a riser on top of a rail on top of a rail!

And the handguard is bright blue... Sorry, Ed. Ill just be leaving now...

• Supporters

Going to have to ban you forever aswell for using that red dot..

..And for putting a rail on top of a rail on top of a rail..

..Monster.

its not a red dot ;) its actually a 4x32 RGB Tri-Illuminated Compact Scope+Red Fiber Optics Sight see ebay item number 201091274383

as for the rail, the rail it had was 19mm, and i needed the offset as i have a big head, the original "z" style rail was too low, i must have spent £50 on rails trying to get something that worked and didn't look too pants :lol: (this is the least pants), its not finished mind as i plan to shape the top ris raiser B)

... i resemble that remark ;):lol::lol::lol:

I'm really fascinated by how popular SA80s (no one in the military calls them L85s) are in the airsoft world. My friend has a WE SA80A2 and he's fitted it out with the DD RIS, an eotech, fore grip and torch. I tried it a couple of times and on CQB is pretty badass! Especially as the GBB mechanism is right next to your head!

I should be getting my hands on my WE SA80A2 when I get back next week, I bought it on here and it has come with the DD RIS, ACOG, riser, Dr sight, gripod and LLM, pretty much up to Afghan spec. I'll post some pics when I get it.

The SA80 was actually quite popular when first introduced due to its small, compact size. Its unreliability killed its reputation within the military, but the A2 version really is the business, with over 10 years of combat proven reliability in Iraq and Afghanistan behind it, the "external upgrades", the RIS, LLM (used with HMNVS) gripod, the ACOG and now the ELCAN Spectre and of course the UGL have made it cool and desirable, coupled with its reliabilty and accuracy due to the barrel length, it really is a world class rifle.

The LSW remains extremely under-rated, hampered by being magazine fed and has pretty much been replaced the the LMG (M249). It's nickname of "Crow-Cannon" shows really what the military thinks of it.

The Carbine, the L22, is gaining popularity as is seen by its expanded use from AFV crews and air crew to the likes of the RM Fleet Protection Group, hope someone is going to make a GBB one, because that's definitely on my shopping list!!

Even the Cadets have been able to feel the love and have seen the much maligned L98A1 Cadet GP Rifle with the horrible straight pull cocking handle has gone and we now have new TMHs (Trigger Mechanism Housings) and proper A2 working parts and gas parts to give us the L98A2 Cadet Rifle, fixed to single shot.

It's gonna be around for a few years yet and there's no real contender out there that stands out as an obvious replacement.

The AR/M16/M4 platform is now old and does not out perform the SA80 family of weapons. Attempts to find a successor to it have resulted in the FN SCAR and the H&K 416, neither being a real leap forward. The 416 does owe some of its reliability to what H&K developed working on the SA80, just look at the short stroke gas piston.

I know Ed's got some great pics and great guns, I'd love to see more pics of SA80s and Brit style load outs on here, don't be shy!! You know we all love to show off!!!

I got my first proper game with my ICS yesterday, and the gun performed over and above what i expected, although it is a very heavy gun and 6 hours of CBQ will really show the difference between this and a light carbine.

10/10 would reccomend, based on one use, but ICS: METAL HOP ARM PLEASE

i had a chat with a well known airsoft tech about L85s yesterday. G&G are known for locking up and ICS is supposedly the better brand but he recommends real sword for authenticity due to their habit of over-engineering and making their guns almost ounce for ounce similiar to the real thing. he reckons most of their guns are virtually indestructable due to the materials used so i am now divided between buying ICS or real sword (although i havent priced real swords version yet)

i had a chat with a well known airsoft tech about L85s yesterday. G&G are known for locking up and ICS is supposedly the better brand but he recommends real sword for authenticity due to their habit of over-engineering and making their guns almost ounce for ounce similiar to the real thing. he reckons most of their guns are virtually indestructable due to the materials used so i am now divided between buying ICS or real sword (although i havent priced real swords version yet)

I have never even heard of a version made by Real Sword before. Cant find any info on one either on google...

Does anyone know if the ICS version accepts PTS EPMs? Im looking at swapping to mid caps and quite like their p-mag design.

Does anyone know if the ICS version accepts PTS EPMs? Im looking at swapping to mid caps and quite like their p-mag design.

I would think so, It looks to be modeled from the EMAG rather than the PMAG and they (PTS) state 416 compatibility as that has an extended magwell similar in length to the sa80

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.