Quick question

Karljohnmason

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

If I wanted a shorter inner barrel, could I just saw the one I have?
I'm not going to, but in theory what would happen/be the outcome?

yes it can be done but it needs to be cut at exactly 90° across the barrel in order that the blast of air following the bb disperses equally, and the new end then needs a slight internal bevel forming (so it looks like the original end), followed by a good cleaning up of the cut surfaces with fine sandpaper, and of course thoroughly cleaning out the barrel once its done.

Note you will lose some fps by shortening the barrel too.

• Supporters

You can cut with anything that doesn't squeeze the barrel. After that as straffham said, you need to crown the barrel, preferably with a crowning tool or a turning machine.

Also note that you must have a matching cylinder installed to the new barrel length.

Cheaper band V2 gearboxes easily crack if the cylinder's capacity is bigger than the barrel's. Even better bands will do that with 11.1 lipo or strong springs, or metal piston heads, etc...

cheers guys :)
I'm trying to get my gun's length/foot print down
and sorry for putting the post on the wrong page :)

• Supporters

TBH, unless you have metalwork training and the right tools for the job, don't do it. You'll only end up with screwed accuracy and having to buy a new one. If you just buy a new one, you might be able to get something for the old one.

oh i wasn't going to do it :)
just curious if it wouyld work :)

Not only does it work but given the right tools from hunterseeker you might even improve the barrel itself. A decent lapping on the inside, crowning with a slight inner flare just like the Orca barrels and you can have a barrel that is better than the stock one came. But its going to require a quality lathe.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.