The Great War centenary.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

1914-1919 Lest we Forget.

Poem for the fallen:

With proud thanksgiving, a mother for her children,

England mourns for her dead across the sea.

Flesh of her flesh they were, spirit of her spirit,

Fallen in the cause of the free.

Solemn the drums thrill: Death august and royal

Sings sorrow up into immortal spheres.

There is music in the midst of desolation

And a glory that shines upon our tears.

They went with songs to the battle, they were young,

Straight of limb, true of eye, steady and aglow.

They were staunch to the end against odds uncounted,

They fell with their faces to the foe.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:

Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.

At the going down of the sun and in the morning

We will remember them.

They mingle not with their laughing comrades again;

They sit no more at familiar tables of home;

They have no lot in our labour of the day-time;

They sleep beyond England's foam.

But where our desires are and our hopes profound,

Felt as a well-spring that is hidden from sight,

To the innermost heart of their own land they are known

As the stars are known to the Night;

As the stars that shall be bright when we are dust,

Moving in marches upon the heavenly plain,

As the stars that are starry in the time of our darkness,

To the end, to the end, they remain.

imagejpg1_zps7d19ca55.jpg

Its a brilliant poem James and I have committed 'as we grow old' to memory like a few others and attend memorial services every year as I no longer take part but know its the next generation to keep it going

It was 1914-1918 (ww1) James and 1939-1945 (ww2)

Its a brilliant poem James and I have committed 'as we grow old' to memory like a few others and attend memorial services every year as I no longer take part but know its the next generation to keep it going

It was 1914-1918 (ww1) James and 1939-1945 (ww2)

Reason for putting 1919 was because on the medal given to most British soldiers (Victory Medal) it has inscribed on the back:

The Great War For Civilistation 1914-1919.

Didnt really know which o choose so I put that one on.

Well that's something I didn't know James :)

Reason for putting 1919 was because on the medal given to most British soldiers (Victory Medal) it has inscribed on the back:

The Great War For Civilistation 1914-1919.

Didnt really know which o choose so I put that one on.

Actually, the reason it says 1919 on many Great War medals and memorials, is because although hostilities ended in 1918 with the signing of the Armistice between Germany and the Allied powers on November 11 1918, the state of war between the main countries did not officially end until the signing of the Treaty or Versailles on June 28 1919, which was then registered with the League of Nations on 21 October 1919. So the war actually ended in 1919 even though the shooting stopped in 1918.

• Supporters

Of course if you want to be really pedantic about it, Andorra was still in a state of war with Germany until the start of WW2 because it was left out of the treaty of Versailles. They had to be added so they could end WW1 to be able to declare war on Germany for WW2.

• 2 weeks later...

Went out poppy collecting on Saturday. About 2 hours in, a homeless person (not meant to offend but he looked pretty rough) walks up to me. In his hand is his pot, in there was a few 1/2 pees and a £20. He gave us the £20. Then off he went. A guy in a smart ass suite with a couple bits of "bling" on his hands. Put in £0.50.

WhuuuuuUUUUTT?

You wouldn't believe it. I have uncles that are extremely wealthy. 16 bedroom (no joke) chalet and they don't even pay a tip. 400 quid bill, and no tip....

leaves me wondering how much they give to charity.

Went out poppy collecting on Saturday. About 2 hours in, a homeless person (not meant to offend but he looked pretty rough) walks up to me. In his hand is his pot, in there was a few 1/2 pees and a £20. He gave us the £20. Then off he went. A guy in a smart ass suite with a couple bits of "bling" on his hands. Put in £0.50.

WhuuuuuUUUUTT?

Most people are very generous when they give to the poppy appeal. However there's some who don't give at all- or even look at the person with the collecting pot or the tray of poppies.

Some people won't even look at you if you're in uniform.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.