What political education did you receive while you was at school?

BBrotherwood

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi all

I would greatly appreciate it if you would take a little bit of time to answer the question on this survey:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/P2ZS35M

After talking to a few people locally I realised that none of them had ever received any education on the British Political System and the parties involved at school. This surely cannot be good for our voting system and would possibly explain why voting is going down, as people do not know who and what there voting for. If the results of the survey turn out the way I think they will then i will try and raise this with the Authorities, or if there not interested the media.

I'm not entirely convinced lack of education on the political system is entirely to blame- have you considered that the public may feel the leaders of each party to be either out of touch or a little odd? (Personally I consider Nigel Farage to be a little unsettling) there's been a huge lack of faith in the Conservative and Labour parties, and the support for the Lib Dems has reduced drastically since Clegg took charge of the party. I believe support was at 25% when Clegg was put in charge, and now it's at 6%? Don't quote me on that though.

I'd like to see a no vote, so the amount of people not prepared to vote for any of the major parties can be measured. This could lead to said parties changing their policy on issues or changing leadership , which could result in more votes and support for them next election.

Back on topic- the most political education I got at school was in GCSE history, specifically in the Cold War unit and having to know the ideological differences between Left wing and Right wing constitutions/parties as part of the syllabus.

I think the educational authorities prefer to tiptoe around the subject of politics as some pupils may come from a home where political beliefs are strongly Labour/Conservative/UKIP/BNP etc. Class discussions on the matter of politics which involve pupils with strong beliefs could result in falling outs and punch ups in the playground.

I wouldn't want to be the teacher of that particular class.

As for the teachers themselves- they prefer not to share their views with students, which is entirely understandable. A political education/discussion class could result in some awkward questions being asked of the teacher.

• Supporters

On the subject of school- were* ;)

But a less facetious answer would be the following; when I was at school they gave us a bit of an education into politics through various tutor sessions and the like, I also took history, economics and have friends and a brother who did politics so picked up a bit more from them. I was at private schools though and without wishing to sound to snobbish or whatever, I'd imagine a state school may not provide as good an insight into the world of politics- that though is just an assumption. I can't speak from personal experience- maybe that's just a preconception having not been there.

From what I've seen though a lot of young people just seem set on what there parents think and dislike other parties because they're family don't etc or were brought up to think the tories/labour/insert other party are full of idiots/stuck up pricks/insert other insult. A proper education would probably be a benefit in this case, to teach people that they dont just have to vote labour because their parents do or tories because they like the colour blue.

From what I've seen so far those in state schools (myself included) have received nothing unless there actually taking a subject relating to politics in some way.

I certainly feel its a debate which needs to be in the public eye, whatever good it may do.

c- the most political education I got at school was in GCSE history, specifically in the Cold War unit and having to know the ideological differences between Left wing and Right wing constitutions/parties as part of the syllabus.

I think the educational authorities prefer to tiptoe around the subject of politics as some pupils may come from a home where political beliefs are strongly Labour/Conservative/UKIP/BNP etc. Class discussions on the matter of politics which involve pupils with strong beliefs could result in falling outs and punch ups in the playground.

It does not need to be a discussion though. Simply a single lesson were you go through all the parties, lay out what they are meant to stand for. Also explain what the different votes are for, i.e General Election, by elections, European elections e.t.c.

I doubt any changes from such as system would be seen soon but other the next generation or 2 it might actually have an impact on the parties and how they operate.

Sounds as dull as R.E another wasted hour of my life twice a week
Put out More P.e classes get the tubby bastards doing something more energetic

Nowt in school, only being taught politics cause I took it in college. Had an interest before though obvs so I do know, but a lot of people won't or just don't give a fuck so some education should be done in schools! Dunno about back int day but nowadays you don't really learn any actual useful life skill sort of things. Again only learning about finances and things like that because I took it as something to do at college.

I think my "citizenship" teacher tried to touch on it during year 10 but my class were so unruly he just gave up. Felt a bit sorry for him, his degree was actually in politics.

I did a bit of As level politics last year. As a subject it's extremely interesting however a combination of a class of a 5 in which I was the only one answering questions/asked by the teacher everytime when the rest failed to attempt an answer and the fact the teacher could make anything on earth boring led to me dropping it.

I did regret it later, even tried to pick it up as an extra As for this year but my form was conveniently lost and they forgot to add it onto my timetable. I still have my textbook though, worth reading through!

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.