what boots you you use?

armysurplusandtoys

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Where did you have your Lowas re soled ? Mine are almost slicks!

The Boot Repair Company, mate. I got in touch with them, cost around £65ish, plus delivery for genuine Vibram soles. They sent out a postage paid bag, I posted them off and got them back in about a week. They did a good job, defo good enough for work and will give me another year or twos wear out of them. Really worth doing. It's cheaper than buying a new pair and you wouldn't notice unless you looked up close.

Merrell Sawtooths - found they were on offer (courtesy of Lozart) so brought a pair since I had used then before by couldn't justify the cost again. Very comfy, rugged and high quality.

Before them I used a pair of Magnum combats (not sure on style) which lasted me a good two years of regular abuse - still use them for work but the grips gone on the heel.

• Supporters

Surplus German Paras with lace in zips - tbh they're more strength and support than i actually need for most skirmishes, but wearing them gives me confidence - i know that whatever i stand on/in my feet will be fine.

• Supporters

In summer I wear Welco jungle boots and in winter and CQB I wear Mammut Cirrus gtx. I've owned a pair of magnums years ago but they pretty just fell apart, was not impressed.

Yeah, I've had a couple of pairs of Magnum Panther 8's - they are comfy and the ankle support is ok, but they don't last.

British Pro boots. Cheapo,Goretex lining,good leather quality and fantastic ankle support. Only gripe is that the soles are not as strong as I would like and the need insoles since they're a fairly rough ride. Otherwise I feel safe no matter what I step on or In My feet will be dry and safe. No such thing as overkill in boot quality.

• 2 weeks later...

5:11 tactical urbane for me. Waterproof, lightweight and very comfy. No break in time and good for both cqb and woodland. Got them for a steal from eBay about 4 months ago. Brilliant.

Altberg Sneekers in Brown. Wouldn't even consider putting anything else near my feet, there absolutely mindblowingly good.

Altbergs are superb. I've worn mine much more since my previous post and am soooooo glad I got them.

I've been using a pair of Saloman Quest 4D GTX, I have a conditon called Plantar Fasciitis (Policemans heel) and I've worn Salomen shoes for the last 5 years because of this. Without a doubt they're the most comfortable shoes I've ever had! Only issue is that on concrete the soft sole will wear consideraby in a matter of months! I bought the Quests specific for Airsofting as I can wear them for the day without any discomfort, plus they look like something Batman would wear ;)

• Supporters

I've been using a pair of Saloman Quest 4D GTX, I have a conditon called Plantar Fasciitis (Policemans heel) and I've worn Salomen shoes for the last 5 years because of this. Without a doubt they're the most comfortable shoes I've ever had! Only issue is that on concrete the soft sole will wear consideraby in a matter of months! I bought the Quests specific for Airsofting as I can wear them for the day without any discomfort, plus they look like something Batman would wear ;)

I had Plantar Fasciitis. Have you tried a night splint? Fixed mine (eventually).

I had Plantar Fasciitis. Have you tried a night splint? Fixed mine (eventually).

I haven't, I found wearing decent shoes did the job. I ended up with it in both feet (I'm a Postman). Problem I had was I used to wear Vans flat shoes (Out of work) and the crappy Magnum boots Royal Mail provided which royal F****d my feet up!

• Supporters

I haven't, I found wearing decent shoes did the job. I ended up with it in both feet (I'm a Postman). Problem I had was I used to wear Vans flat shoes (Out of work) and the crappy Magnum boots Royal Mail provided which royal F****d my feet up!

I had a custom orthotics which helped massively but if you get it back again try one of these: http://www.ossur.co.uk/injury-solutions/products/foot-and-ankle/night-splints/exoform-dorsal-night-splint (I have an older less complex version but the principle is the same). The hold your foot in flexion overnight which allows the tendon to heal in a stretched out position. Works a treat.

• Supporters

I find it hilarious that something called "Policeman's Heel" is also called Fasciitis!

I wear German para boots and they are quite comfy after wearing them for a while. They are a bit bulky though. My ones are also knackered now as the bottom is falling off, they're being held together with some elasticated glue now. I think it's time for some new boots :D

does anyone know what manufacturers offer decent waterproof boots in a UK size 13? Had some magnums previously but they've worn out now and could do with being replaced.

• Supporters

does anyone know what manufacturers offer decent waterproof boots in a UK size 13? Had some magnums previously but they've worn out now and could do with being replaced.

What's your budget? Any brand of walking boots that has GTX or GoreTex in the name would be OK.

What's your budget? Any brand of walking boots that has GTX or GoreTex in the name would be OK.

I guess under £100 would be the budget.

Are the Zipped models i've seen easier to get on and off and don't cause a problem with water getting in?

I had a custom orthotics which helped massively but if you get it back again try one of these: http://www.ossur.co.uk/injury-solutions/products/foot-and-ankle/night-splints/exoform-dorsal-night-splint (I have an older less complex version but the principle is the same). The hold your foot in flexion overnight which allows the tendon to heal in a stretched out position. Works a treat.

Ok cool!it does come back from time to time but never as bad as when I first had it!

• Supporters

Re: zips vs water - if there is a sealed tongue/bellows type of thing behind the zip, yeah they should not cause a problem, but if it's just two flaps, no matter what the manufacturer says, capillary action will make water migrate through the gap as you walk so, if your boots stay wet for a while, your socks will get damp.

"Waterproof" is a bit ambitious when applied to Magnums IME - water resistant yeah, but the two pairs i've had both went bin-wards after falling apart due to being damp. Comfy though.

Edit: you can always add lace in zips to lace up boots. If you make sure to get the ones made from leather, rather than the PVC/whatever type, they can be done up very tight across your instep without tearing the eyelets out (experience talking) which, if you have slim feet like me or just prefer your boots tight, makes them no different to laces for comfort but a lot easier to get on and off (for eg if you have an itch).

• Supporters

Ok cool!it does come back from time to time but never as bad as when I first had it!

It can do. Depends on the cause. Mine is quite often weight related but I've lost three stone since Christmas so I'm hoping it's gone for good. If you don't wear proper, well fitted footwear you can make it come back. It's worth seeing if your local hospital has an orthotics dept. They can usually do gait analysis and recommend what type of footwear you need. I under-pronate (basically my feet don't roll inwards when I walk so I tend to walk on the outside of my feet) which means I need trainers with maximum cushioning and little to no arch support. My GP thought I had fallen arches which would have steered me down completely the wrong avenue for footwear!

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.