M14 EMR/DMR/EBR

Woodro92

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi guys, I've recently gotten myself into Airsoft and thoroughly enjoying it.

I've had my UKARA come through and i'm still in the process of looking for my main gun (after 2 months). The list has been cut down to M14 EBRs but which make???????

I have looked about and asked a million questions and it seems to break down to the G&G M14 HBA-L, The Classic Army M14 EBR, CYMA M14 and the G&P M14 (though i cant really find much on it, other than its top dog)

The issue i have is which one??, money isn't necessarily a problem but i want to know which guns have strong internal builds as reading through can see some minor quarrels about the G&G and Classic Army like mounts breaking on couple places and having to fork out a few extra quid which could have been avoided if company put a bit of strength into them. CYMA seems to be looked down on a fair bit as a cheap brand.

Something that can be "frankensteined" a bit like mags and externals would be a benefit but not fussed.

Been told to dodge M14s a bit unless I want to go into regular maintenance end of the game days, i'm not fussed about it nor playing with gearbox for tweaking, upgrading etc. engineer and electrician so i get the grip of it all and i would like to super it all up anyway.

I know I'm a fussy get but I want a gun I can tweak to my standard of perfection.

So please all you pros and players help a newbie out.

Cheers.

• Supporters

The G&G is seriously heavy but a nice piece of kit. I've spoken to a couple of guys about the Cyma one and ultimately it's cheap so you have plenty of headroom to improve it to a decent standard cost wise. I wouldn't put too much store in the whole CYMA = cheap = crap though. I have a CM045 AK and yes, it was but but it is by no means crap!

One of my buddies has the TM SOCOM M14 and it's lovely. Plastic but lovely.

The G&G is seriously heavy but a nice piece of kit. I've spoken to a couple of guys about the Cyma one and ultimately it's cheap so you have plenty of headroom to improve it to a decent standard cost wise. I wouldn't put too much store in the whole CYMA = cheap = crap though. I have a CM045 AK and yes, it was but but it is by no means crap!

One of my buddies has the TM SOCOM M14 and it's lovely. Plastic but lovely.

Yeah I'm not fussed about weight, I can lumber about most heavy AEGs for a day without dying. I'd prefer heavier one as i like the strain and it just makes it feel a bit more "beefy" and secure. I can't argue with price of CYMA and wouldnt mind a cheap one to gut and build up because if it goes wrong then not a complete loss so i might edge on that a little for a project...

TM from what i see in every regard are the dogs furry danglers dont mind low fps, sure it can be tweaked would like quietness though for suprise shots. granted my main issue is finding a good retailer and or supplier but google is a handy friend to have.

• Supporters

Yeah I'm not fussed about weight, I can lumber about most heavy AEGs for a day without dying. I'd prefer heavier one as i like the strain and it just makes it feel a bit more "beefy" and secure. I can't argue with price of CYMA and wouldnt mind a cheap one to gut and build up because if it goes wrong then not a complete loss so i might edge on that a little for a project...

TM from what i see in every regard are the dogs furry danglers dont mind low fps, sure it can be tweaked would like quietness though for suprise shots. granted my main issue is finding a good retailer and or supplier but google is a handy friend to have.

The trick with buying any TM is finding one in stock! ProAirsoft should be able to help out though.

Yeah I've noticed that TM are few and far between, at current moment way my list goes that the G&G and G&P is just as fracking rare to find too, everywhere its "OUT OF STOCK" except if i go to the US I'd expect a pricey shipping price though but thanks for the webby drop I'll look into it

• Supporters

Cyma is one of the best. The internals are really-really great. The current models have even stronger gearbox. The early versions were exact TM copy so after a power upgrade they could crack.

I don't know about the externals, I only had normal M14s.

Cyma is one of the best. The internals are really-really great. The current models have even stronger gearbox. The early versions were exact TM copy so after a power upgrade they could crack.

I don't know about the externals, I only had normal M14s.

Nice, fair enough I may try a CYMA see what i can do with it and how good it really is.

CYMA get a lot of unfair stick because of the prices of their weapons, which are not top dollar, but anyone who does airsofting will know that the criticism is largely unwarranted when you see how many people are using CYMA AKs and M4s with no problems week in, week out. And their M14 is no exception, I'd go so far as to say that the CYMA M14 is one of the best inexpensive airsoft rifles you can get, there's barely anything that can touch it for value and reliability. Yes the other ones are a bit better, but remember that the CYMA is a TM clone, and a clone that is made with decent materials, which means you can use TM mags and other bits on it if you like, but frankly, you won't need to upgrade it for basic skirmishing, because it's pretty damn good straight out of the box. It is quite heavy, but that just makes it feel realistic rather than being a pain in the ass. It's perhaps a little on the long side for CQB compared to other choices, but it's not impossible to use it for that, although woodland shooting at distances out to about 35 metres is probably where it is most at home. It also has the virtue of being a little bit different to all the M4s and AKs that you see everyone with.

And you can march around doing cadence calls with it whilst you make crunchy boot noises on the gravel:

'I don't need no teenage dream... I just need my M14... Sound off Marines. Oorah!'

• Supporters

Hi

I recently purchased and played few games with a G&G M14 EBR - S (the short barrel version) from here:

http://www.justbbguns.co.uk/product/529/AIRSOFT-GUNS-PRO/409/OTHER-PRO-GUNS/2289/GG-HBA-S

Though of course shop around and you may find it at a better price, i bought it from them in person at their shop because of Reasons (got it using an exemption other than UKARA).

What can i tell you about it well lets start with the PROs:

• Solidly built (like a TANK!!)
  • Full metal externals and plastic only where it needs to be
  • Not as heavy or bulky as it looks IMO
  • Superbly accurate out of the box
  • Decent rate of fire
  • Decent stock motor
  • Cool cocking handle which accesses the Hop Up adjustment
  • Mine chrono'd around 320 to 330FPS
  • Decent sized high cap Mag (about 470rds)
  • Very good and ergonomic pistol grip
  • Looks the BOSS
  • Reinforced gearbox (i have read on several forums that this is also built like a TANK too)
  • Great quality G&G Gears
  • It appears that all gears have already been shimmed
  • Piston and gears have been already set up for good AOE, no need to grind down that 2nd and 3rd (partially) tooth
  • I think the stock spring is about equivalent to M115 (but correct me if i am wrong)

And the CONS

• Super tiny battery compartment, only just able to fit a 3 x nuchuck 11.1v 1450mAh LiPo
  • Very difficult to access the battery compartment, need to undo 6 allen screws, drop front hand guard down and then change battery, of course in the middle of a fire fight not the best of places
  • Muzzle flash hider appears to have come from G&Gs M14 SOCOM range as it does not have the true vortex flash as a real M14 EBR - S would, its a one piece part and although they sell a adapter it appears to be only for the EBR-L version
  • Magazine can be a tricky to fit at times
  • Magazine is a G&G M14 proprietary so you MUST buy G&G mags for this gun
  • Cheek rest is a bit rubbish to adjust
  • rear scope mount next to iron rear sights is a fraction higher than main RIS rail, you have to buy the G&G scope mount to fit full sights
  • Tappet plate is 1) proprietary, 2) is very thin (about 5mm) at one point causing and inherent weak point and 3) made of a brittle like plastic therefore easy to break
  • Apparently the motor mounting cage is fragile and difficult to remove but i did not have this problem as mine just slid off, no force necessary
  • Stock Air Nozzle does not have a o-ring seal relying only on silicone lube to maintain air seal
  • Cylinder, Cylinder head, trigger contacts and anti reversal latch is proprietary

Lastly the gearbox for the G&G M14 is called a Version 7 Gearbox but its not a true Version 7 box, its actually a hybrid Ver 7 box using a combination of V2 and V3 parts.

If you do decide to get the G&G M14 i will list the stock parts below should you want to upgrade it in the future.

Gearbox shell - proprietary ver 7 hybrid shell

Bushings - Sector and Bevel gears are on 7mm bushings, Spur gear is on 8mm bushings

Spring Guide - V3 spring guide (any will fit)

Spring - I am told its a M115 (but again correct me if wrong)

Piston - Any piston will do (however don't get G&Gs reinforced piston even the one advertised of the M14 as it is a funny shape and does not fit well)

Piston head - Any will do but i advise against metal ones to reduce gearbox stress, any FLAT POM will do, don't buy the domed (silent) ones as they require a different Cylinder head

Air Nozzle - any AUG nozzle will do

Tappet Plate - proprietary G&G plate, buy a spare when buying the rifle at the same time

Gears - V2/V3 gear sets

Motor - Any short axle high torque motor should fit

Trigger contacts - G&G proprietary, G&G sell an already prefabricated wiring loom for it as spares

Hop Up - full metal AUG hop up unit

Barrel - Barrel length is 407mm, i am told it is a 6.03 tight bore but haven't been able to verify this.

I currently have a Harris Bipod attached and recently got the Scope mount accessory to fit my ACOG a bit closer to my eye in a more convenient location.

I run mine using an 11.1v 1450mAh LiPo battery rewired on Deans connectors, this is fitted to a GATE MERF 3.2 MOSFET which has then been enhanced wired to the trigger and motor. I plan to change the standard AUG air nozzle with one that has an o-ring and i am considering upping the spring to bring the FPS as close as possible to 350FPS.

Hope the above helps you in making an informal decision with whatever you go for.

Nothing wrong with the Cyma m14, cheap as airsoft guns go but certain not crap by any standard.

I have the standard wood effect m14 and intend to use it for cqb down longer corridors where a cqb gun can't reach mainly at the towers(if you have been there, you will know what I mean!).

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.