First AK12 in Production

AK47frizzle

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Oh I intend to. Apparently the order status was 'despatched' fairly early on today, so it is evidently on the way already, although I went for the cheap ass 'free postage' option, so it'll be probably delivered by mule train or something, still, I reckon it might be here by Friday, and as luck would have it, I'm off on Friday too since I'm supposed to be playing a gig on Thursday night, so I'll video review on Friday with a bit of luck.

Okay guys, took a while to make the video review, and it's pretty long (21 minutes), but you do get a very good look at it with some extreme close ups, plus some history and fun stuff like that...

Excellent review! So if you can get a hold of spare stocks, you can defo change batteries very fast, but i think to put in a new gearbox, you'll have to rewire it to fit with the contacts OR drill the contacts out and just feed the entire wire through the stock.

The fire selector looks like there is a specific piece in there for it to work.

All in all, great review, thoroughly enjoyed it. Might pick one up myself if a metal V3 gearbox is actually transplantable, can you do that?

• Supporters

Good job, but... 10" isn't a long barrel, it's SMG length & you don't need a UKARA registration to paint your gun black: the defence against prosecution for "Manufacturing a Realistic Imitation Firearm" applies to you if the gun is going to be used for airsoft, so if you are an airsofter of any age, that's you, whether you are a member of a site or not.

The slide for the hop unit looks like a standard TM compatible AK type, but we cannot see it very well - can you tell?

When you moved the fire selector it looks like it is shifting a standard AK geared lever internally - is it?

Does the flash hider unscrew? If so, is it a 24mm CW thread?

Cheers :)

Yeah I know that technically you don't need a UKARA at all to paint the thing up, and i cetainly don't need a UKARA even though I have one, because at the start of the video, you can see the training room where I teach CGI film effects, including how to do all that CGI which was at the start of the review, and personally, I think VCR Act is a bunch of typical UK-esque knee-jerk reaction bullshit, nevertheless, I'm very aware that - especially on a youtube video - we airsofters do not want to come across as irresponsible dickheads, so I think it best to err on the side of being seen to be responsible.

I know ten inches isn't massively long, although I'm sure my girlfriend would disagree lol.

With regard to all the other stuff, I'll take some still pics soonish and that should clarify other things, although it does look TM-ish to me, and yes, the gearbox is a bog standard V3 CYMA=esque AK gearbox in terms of the position of the fire selector, with some fishplate linkages to enable it to connect to the standard fire selector axle.

The flash hider may unscrew, but I've tried turning it (both ways) and it is on there good and tight, and it's not moving, so I think it might be glued in position.

• Supporters

Nice, great info.

The GB still looks like a standard v3, and even the selector is the same. Only the external lever is different.

I cannot make out the hopup but it seems that it's a normal hopup and that block that holds it in other AKs. They may be separable on this too.

Yep, it's all fairly standard fare on the internals as far as I can tell, which I suspected it would be. That gearbox is basically a plastic knock off pattern part of a standard V3 one as far as I can tell, so, not wanting to spend a fortune on what is essentially a cheap ass gun, but still wanting it to last more than five minutes, I bought this gearbox to throw into it:

http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/cyma-full-gearbox-set-for-cm-028-ak-series-aeg-cm-02-1.html#.VFZv7sm2j_p

If I don't get stung too badly on import costs, that'll mean it was about 120 quid in total. Needless to say, for 40 quid that isn't the best gearbox ever, but will probably be an improvement on what is in there presently. Forgot to mention that the fire selector linkage parts are all metal, so in using those they hopefully won't be a weak link in the chain. Might throw a better barrel in there too at some point. I'll borrow the tactical foregip off my G36C and put that on the thing's bottom rail and sling my tac light on it so I can and see how it does at dark CQB for a laugh. It is popping BBs out at about 290 fps at the moment, which is really about as high as I prefer in CQB since anything more is a bit over the top at those sort of ranges. Frankly, it's a bit on the longish side for CQB, but what the hell eh? At least it will be entertaining showing up with an AK12 instead of my M4 or MP5.

Looks like a normal hop up unit, just compared the picture to my cyma hop up unit.

As for the gearbox, looks standard, but not entirely sure about the battery connectors, personally i'd do a bit of diy and feed the entire wire through the stock.

If all goes well transplanting the gearbox and maybe the hop up, i might be tempted.

Thing is, it all depends on how badly you want an AK12. This Black Viper one is a bit of fun and isn't a bad lookalike for the real thing, but it is undeniably a cheapo airsoft gun, so to make it half decent anyone is going to be into 120 quid at least. For that kind of money there are probably better options for anyone who isn't particularly bothered about the 'completist' aspect of liking AKs. Fair enough, if one does like AKs and is a completist, one has to consider whether there will even be a decent airsoft AK12 made by anyone else. If not, this may end up being the only viable option to enable you to have one on your wall, unless you want to spend the best part of a grand on the fancy NPO-AEG Russian airsoft AK12 that is supposedly on the way next year, assuming you could actually get hold of one, and had the cash.

After all, the AK12 was passed over by the Russian military, and although there are some claims that special forces and some security forces in Russia might use it, there are literally loads of variants of modernised AKs, and other makes of weapon that these units already have access to, and, since all special forces units tend to have free reign on choosing weapons on their merits, rather than having them forced upon them, I should imagine the Russian Spetsnaz could have any weapon they wanted, Russian or otherwise if they could find a suitable justification for requesting it. Nor can the AK12 gain popularity in the US, since Obama has banned the import of Russian made AKs to the US as a sanction measure because of the conflict in the Ukraine. Yes the AK12 appears in some computer games and proves popular in those, but is that enough for an airsoft manufacturer to risk developing a decent one when it isn't a popular choice in the real world?

So whilst this is a bit of a fun project for me because I like Russkie stuff, the fact is that the AK12 may end up simply being a footnote in history, and only a small part of the Kalashnikov story.

Yep, it's all fairly standard fare on the internals as far as I can tell, which I suspected it would be. That gearbox is basically a plastic knock off pattern part of a standard V3 one as far as I can tell, so, not wanting to spend a fortune on what is essentially a cheap ass gun, but still wanting it to last more than five minutes, I bought this gearbox to throw into it:

http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/cyma-full-gearbox-set-for-cm-028-ak-series-aeg-cm-02-1.html#.VFZv7sm2j_p

If I don't get stung too badly on import costs, that'll mean it was about 120 quid in total. Needless to say, for 40 quid that isn't the best gearbox ever, but will probably be an improvement on what is in there presently. Forgot to mention that the fire selector linkage parts are all metal, so in using those they hopefully won't be a weak link in the chain. Might throw a better barrel in there too at some point. I'll borrow the tactical foregip off my G36C and put that on the thing's bottom rail and sling my tac light on it so I can and see how it does at dark CQB for a laugh. It is popping BBs out at about 290 fps at the moment, which is really about as high as I prefer in CQB since anything more is a bit over the top at those sort of ranges. Frankly, it's a bit on the longish side for CQB, but what the hell eh? At least it will be entertaining showing up with an AK12 instead of my M4 or MP5.

actually hang on chock, after taking a second look at the video, there is an extra lump at the bottom of the motor cage.................. I'd assume there's a screw at the bottom to secure it.... am i correct? If so, then either: it wobbles, or maybe you can get a longer screw to feed through...

Yup, you are correct, there is a big screw on the bottom of the pistol grip which secures the bottom of the gearbox to the pistol grip. If I recall correctly, normally on decent gearboxes, that screw allows you to adjust the meshing of the motor's drive gear with the other gears by moving it tighter or or backing it off, so it looks likely that a decent gearbox will drop right in and be able to be fitted and adjusted properly without any issues, although I guess we'll see when that gearbox I bought arrives from Hong Kong.

Yup, you are correct, there is a big screw on the bottom of the pistol grip which secures the bottom of the gearbox to the pistol grip. If I recall correctly, normally on decent gearboxes, that screw allows you to adjust the meshing of the motor's drive gear with the other gears by moving it tighter or or backing it off, so it looks likely that a decent gearbox will drop right in and be able to be fitted and adjusted properly without any issues, although I guess we'll see when that gearbox I bought arrives from Hong Kong.

Unfortunately, it doesn't do that with a V3. I have the exact cyma V3 gearbox you just bought, and with V3s, there is no motor height adjusting, it's all fixed in position. I have a feeling you might need to bring out the DIY tools...

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.