How to get into airsoft in the UK?

TacticalPotato1

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I've always wanted to play airsoft and go to a site but I feel it's an interest shared by few. I really have no one to go with or anyone that would be willing to go with me. None of my friends have any real interest in airsoft and I just keep buying guns for target shooting.

What would be the best way to get into airsoft when most of the people I know haven't even got a clue what airsoft is.

• Supporters

find local skirmish site & pop along

most peeps are friendly - and will help out a newcomer

Most important thing - take your hits !!!!

you will probably get owned a bit on first outing - I'm still getting owned but wtf

but if you don't at very least try to play fair - you will not be doing yourself any favours

get out there and start shooting - just hitting a few targets is nothing like a proper airsoft game

watch the regulars and learn - I'm still learning but above all play fair & have fun

on your own or with a few m8's, dad/older brother/uncle etc......

meet new people of all ages from various backgrounds - AND SHOOT THEM (in a friendly airsoft way)

All you need to do is turn up, I can guarantee that you'll make friends fast at any airsoft site, since you share an interest with those who are there. People are almost universally friendly in my experience, and despite the fact that Joe Public might imagine we're all nutters, generally speaking, everyone I've ever met at an airsoft site could not have been more pleasant if they had tried. Almost everyone will welcome a new player as long as you are interested and play fairly and safely, so pay attention at the safety briefing, and if in doubt, take the hit. Everyone likes showing off their gear, so opening a conversation in the safe area or at the briefing is easy to do: 'Wow, that's a cool gun/mask/pair of boots...' etc.

Just go for it, you'll fit right in before you know it. Call up your nearest airsoft site and ask about hire packages, then just make sure you've got some decent boots or tough trainers, and wear clothing which will allow you to feel hits, but not have them hurt too much, i.e. cover your neck up with a scarf, wear a long sleeved top and some thin gloves, and maybe a baseball cap or something similar, the site will provide a mask to protect your face and it will probably only cost you about 20 quid or so for an evening session with one of their hire guns. I would recommend going to a few skirmishes and using their hired weapons rather than buying something straight away, the experience of a few fights and seeing what others are using will allow you to determine what weapon(s) to buy if you want to get more into it, which you almost certainly will, because it is great fun.

• Supporters

If there are fire teams (a couple of guys who stick together during game) ask one of them if you can accompany them because you are new. That's a great way to make friends and learn airsoft at the same time.

I've gone to my local indoor site a couple sites with a mate who sort of wants to get into airsoft but is put off by the price and doesn't know much about it (he isn't in to it as much as me that's for sure)

Most of the time I'll just go with my dad and you can talk to the other people there who are always a laugh and friendly.

• Supporters

Nobody I knew at the time was even vaguely interested - in fact most of 'em still think airsoft is one of the weirder things about me. I found my local site's webby and spoke to a few people on their forum to get an idea of what it was all about - still didn't have a clue really but went anyway, on my own, on the bus and taxi (it cost a fortune to get there and back on a Sunday, but I was dying to check it out).

I got talking to a few people about tactics, guns and gear and had a great time, even though the paintball mask which was part of the hire package was a 'kin 'mare for fogging - before lunch i was just a stumbling target: i could barely see anyone camouflaged in bushes and couldn't tell where i was getting hit from most of the time. But i listened to what people were telling me and by mid afternoon i was managing to hit people, just...

I ordered mesh goggles as soon as i got home and they arrived before the next time I could get to a skirmish again - started to get friendly with a few people and those are now my best airsoft mates :)

• Supporters

^^Actually no, it was clean and well looked after - it was me that was sweating like a rapist and in terrible condition!

None of my friends have any interest in guns or Airsoft. So I just turned up to my local site with a booking and waver form signed. I had actually bought some camo trousers and shirt for the occasion and got my hiregun, mask and BBS. I played, I was awful, I fell in love with it. Now I have my chest rig and my mid caps and my multiple guns and run a lot more. Airsoft is making me a lot fitter and a lot poorer. The way to get started is simply look for a site, book a game and go play.

After playing if you still love it then start asking in the safe zone about kit. Great way to get to talk and make some new friends and learn what works and what doesn't.

Airsoft is making me a lot fitter and a lot poorer.

It's certainly true that airsoft will make you fitter. Indoor CQB with all that gear slung over you and a helmet and mask on is guaranteed to make your sweat off pounds. The poorer bit is optional, just have to stop buying shiny new things all the time lol

• Supporters

The poorer bit is optional, just have to stop buying shiny new things all the time lol

Yeah, right.

:lol:

• Supporters

I sense quite a theme from this thread, something along the lines of:

"None of my mates were even remotely interested in Airsoft but I was pretty keen to give it a go. So I went on my own to my local got chatting to all the friendly people there and now I have a new bunch of mates for when I go Airsofting"

I'll add, now all my friends who looked at me like I was one of the guys planning the columbine shootings think it looks like a massive laugh and want to come along after hearing some of my "war stories", seeing my kit and some of the bruises. But I'm torn as normally I turn up and meet the team/airsoft buddies, its amazing how quickly you make friends when you get wet/cold/muddy/knackered in a foxhole with a random person, even if its mostly just pretend.

• Supporters

I had a friend that did one game with me then started being useless so I thought sod it I'll go on my own, the worst that will happen is I get to play airsoft all day and sit on my own. I soon realised it's easy to talk to people when you are all there for a shared interest. It's very easy to get chatting to people by asking about their kit, or if they look new asking them.

Now I go with a group of 5-6 people but still not too fussed about going on my own if I need to.

Hi guys I'm 18 from chentenham, I've been trying to look for airsoft skirmishes in the area but had no luck finding any does anyone know of a site that's close by? And what's the best site to get cheap good quality loadouts?

• Supporters

Have a look here, rimbo, for a site close to you. As for loadouts - make your own thread: it's the easiest way for people to advise you.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.