Decent torch

joshcowin

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

hmmm wondering whether it would be easier to just buy an MVG and a moe mount? just checking the price on them. how practical is it to mount a torch underneath the gun?

• Supporters

So long as it doesn't get in the way of your hand, no problem at all - probably less annoying than on top.

There is something else to consider when mounting a torch to a gun and that is what the enemy see - if it's dark so that all they can see is your light, not you behind it, then naturally when they aim, unless they have time to think about what they are doing carefully, they will shoot at the light. If you are right handed and your light is on the right hand side of your gun, it is at the edge of your silhouette. If it is underneath, in line, it is closer to the centre of your silhouette and on the left is just wrong, since that is bang in the middle of you.

• Supporters

Also the further foreward your torch is mounted the more front heavy it makes the gun, which gets uncomfortable to carry for long periods, unless you add weight to the stock to balance it.

been doing my research and the three that people are raving about on the cycling forums are the klarus xt11(600 lumens),klarus xt20 (1200 lumens and the deree light night master 800 (lumens), heres a video i found of the xt11 vs the night master.

you can change the beam on the night master aswell so its not just a tight beam.

• Supporters

^^I quite like the sound of the bezel twist to preselect output before you turn it on, but yeah, I'm not paying £75 for it.

What I want is a pressure pad that has 2 switches in it - 1 as normal pressure on and a 2nd latching / plus when you press the pressure switch while the latch switch is on, it should make the torch advance mode like skipping through them with a mousetail as normal. That can't be beyond our ken, can it?

• Supporters

I've used strobe during a night game to allow me to move from cover to cover - just chucked it on the ground ahead of me, let the opposition get their spray and pray out of their system and then went into the bush I was planning on. I'm pretty sure that the flashing prevented them seeing the foliage move and it may well have kept them looking in the wrong place while i crawled forward about 10-12m into a sniping position: stayed there for the rest of that game, maybe 10mins - got a few kills and nobody even fired at me, even though i was within AEG range (the reason i went forward was to shoot diagonally across the field to put pressure on the only place where they were doing well).

Strobe does seem to fuck night vision up more than a simple light - it puts a bunch of conjoined residual dots on your vision rather than just the one.

I don't understand why people need torches with more than on/off honestly! Everyone just puts them on their brightest setting anyway, except for the idiots who think that strobes somehow give them an advantage.

I'll go tell my associates in the police fire arms squad they're idiots and to let them know their friends in LA Swat know they are idiots for some how thinking that strobes will give them an advantage.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?356772-Police-Study-of-tactical-use-of-Strobe

Regarding the Eagletac torch they make very good torch, go read up on them on the Candle power forums

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?358491

Just because you don't know them doesn't mean they are some "no-name company"

I use Nextorch because it can be used with a black light filter for my NV kit.

It has a Xenon bulb for IR use and an LED when used as a torch.

Are they any good ?

I dropped it and damaged the end cap. Ordered a new one for £8 from Ebay and found I'd ordered the wrong one (the one I got was for a newer model).

Spoke to the UK importer today and asked if they still did the end cap for my older model. They said they had it in stock and would send me one for free.

Will let you know if they are as good as their word.

• Supporters

sorry to de-rail abit ... anyone have a recommendation of a pistol torch?

my MK23 really wants a LAM unit but my wallet says NO! :lol:

Nextorch WL10 Executor.

http://www.nextorch.com/en/product_detail.php?id=74

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.