Decent torch

joshcowin

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I don't think there's a need to spend £100.

I know there's a good Strike Systems one for about £20 some people will reccommend but I don't have the link myself.

You could also get an Element Surefire replica flashlight for £25 from Asia (Ali-Express or somewhere like that) up to about £60 in the UK.

Finally I'd also reccommend the Nextorch WL10 Illuminator. It's a real steel light for pistols but you can also use it on a rifle, NASH Airsoft did a review and they are only £39 to £50 or so over here.

Hope this helped :)

EDIT - ah sorry just noticed it's got to be with a pressure switch :/ I need to read things more carefully

I think the first two come with pressure switches, there's also another torch I may be able to find by Nextorch which costs around £55 or £60. Patrol Base used to sell em and it's called a WL6 R8 set or something

at that budget point, only light worth it will be an inforce WML, you can pick them up on eBay relatively cheaply and they're OMFGMYEYESBURN bright.

In the UK? I've had a look and can't see any on eBay. I know you can get them from Tactical Kit for £110 though.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181479919374?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Got one of these on my M4, recommended. Very decent. Only fifteen quid too.

That is an insane price for light, pressure switch, mount, rechargeable battery and charger. Like off the back of a lorry cheap.

cheers guys i had a 200 lumen one but that broke i remember i while back seeing a torch that had twin led bulbs and was something daft like 1500 lumens and was around £120 then, anybody remember what ones these were

I use a Nitecore SRT6, which you can upgrade with pressure switch... Insane light output and good controls.

The backup is a MT2C.... Which uses the same pressure switch. I highly rate the Nitecore stuff.

If it helps, a 100 watt bulb is about 1600 lumens, 40 watt bulb is about 450 lumens, my tac light on my M4 is 800 lumens, i.e. the one I put a link to on this thread (but it is a very bright light with a beam that will go out to about 500 metres, so probably way more than strictly necessary for CQB).

What that tells you is that you can't easily compare the lumen output of a bulb with how decent it will be in torch, since a torch has a reflector that projects all of the light into one beam, whereas a bulb is radiating it in a spherical pattern. Therefore, a maglite with about 70 lumens will be fairly decent, and something that is 200 lumens will probably be pretty damn good. Just get that one I linked to, you won't be disappointed, especially for 15 quid, trust me.

• Supporters

That and there's no standardised way to measure lumen output of a torch, only the theoretical maximum output of the emitter: normally when you see 1200lumen mega bright torch on ebay it means the cree T6 LED they're using can in theory output 1200 lumens if you rig it up to a car battery. In reality you'll be getting substantially less.

Reflector quality and glass quality are also significant factors, a crap reflector will leave you with a dispersed beam which will spread all those lumens out over a big area. Instead what you want is a nice focused spot with a bit of flood on the outside for peripheral vision. Will allow you to dazzle people when you point or straight at thwm but should also prevent you from getting tunnel vision using it.

Avoid lights which are listed as 5-mode or various other shit, you want it to be BRIGHT and on/off, if you need a light for navigation or finding things in the dark it shouldn't be attached to your weapon. Strobes are as disorienting to you as they are to the person on the receiving end (which really isn't that much!).

The MT2C I use puts out about 360 lumins... And that would blind a room, easily... Turns a pitch black building into daylight. I've been told that a flash from it will "white out" someone completely for half a minute... So plenty for cqb. The SRT6 will give you daylight shooting, on a pitch black night well over 150yds. Thats about 900...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181479919374?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Got one of these on my M4, recommended. Very decent. Only fifteen quid too.

Thanks for the link going to put my order in next week

• Supporters

I've got a C8 also and would recommend it*, but i've since stopped using it in favour of an Ultrafire zoomable XM-L T6 torch powered by 2 x 18650 batteries like this - they are very bright, you can choose how much penumbra you want around the spot, and the convex plastic lens is BB proof. A while back I ordered one of these pressure pads for it, but it didn't turn up so I cannot swear 100% that they work with this model of torch, but there are only so many styles of end cap push button switch and this looks like it's the right size and female thread. I've had a refund and ordered another so fingers crossed they'll both eventually turn up :lol: I've found that, by mounting it correctly in relation to a vertical foregrip, I can press the end cap button with my thumb so the mouse tail pad is not really needed - but I want to try one anyway for more options, especially mounting it further back to reduce the front heavy effect.

Tip: if you bid for torches from China on ebay.com instead of ebay.co.uk they usually go a little bit cheaper (edit to add: and mounts too).

*The only real issue with them is that the glass is probably not BB proof - I've used a couple of layers of blisterpack plastic as a shield over the bezel, which has got shot through, but in doing so has protected the glass. The way forward is a replacement for the glass made from 3M protective goggles (£3-5), which I intended to implement, but since then I've repurposed the goggles I had to replace the lenses in my PBF gas mask - hey ho, i'll get some more eventually and make a decent shield for my EoTech replica while i'm at it.

Yup, I reinforced the lens on my C8 too, also using blister pack clear acetate, fixed on with black electrical tape, which means it still looks okay, as I think it would be smashed by a 300+ fps BB without that extra protection. I saw a guy get his tac light shot out a few weeks ago, it didn't smash the bulb, but the front glass was gone, so I know it can happen, and in dark CQB, your light is going to be someone's aim point.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Supporters

Sorry to revive an old thread but I need a cheap scout light and can't find them anywhere

Night Evolution M600 on airsoft peak. $54 (I think) free shipping. Bingo.

• Supporters

I have an LED lenser torch, i believe this one. It is very good, and I wouldn't want to buy another torch, are there any mounts for it, and is it possible to get pressure pads for the torch. I'm guessing pressure pads have to have a connection, and this torch doesn't have any plug in ones...

thanks

• Supporters

Pressure pads can be a bit of a ball ache - there are about 3-4 standard configurations of diameter and thread and some of them do not seem to have mouse tails available for them. However it is possible that this fits on the zoomable types which take 1 or 2 18650 size batteries. I ordered 1 a while back but it didn't turn up - awaiting the reorder now...

For mounts you are best off logging in to ebay.com rather than ebay.co.uk because u'll be bidding against yanks so it'll be cheaper - just decide whether you want a 25mm mount, or a 30mm and use an internal spacer or tape, high, low or medium profile determined by how fat your bezel is or whether you fit the torch with the bezel forward of your rail, or offset below with an angled mount. For simplicity's sake you could buy these which will give you a spare or one for a mate.

Pressure pads can be a bit of a ball ache - there are about 3-4 standard configurations of diameter and thread and some of them do not seem to have mouse tails available for them. However it is possible that this fits on the zoomable types which take 1 or 2 18650 size batteries. I ordered 1 a while back but it didn't turn up - awaiting the reorder now...

For mounts you are best off logging in to ebay.com rather than ebay.co.uk because u'll be bidding against yanks so it'll be cheaper - just decide whether you want a 25mm mount, or a 30mm and use an internal spacer or tape, high, low or medium profile determined by how fat your bezel is or whether you fit the torch with the bezel forward of your rail, or offset below with an angled mount. For simplicity's sake you could buy these which will give you a spare or one for a mate.

ok mate, will probably order one of those pressure pads. just taking a pic of the connector it will connect to to make sure it fits/ works

As with mounts, yeah they look fine, cheers for that mate

EDIT: what abut offset mounts, I cant put rail sections in on my moe handguard on the side due to battery fitting, however on the top, so I could use an offset mount? would this work? just looking on ebay for some

• Supporters

Offset mounts can get you out of a whole host of ballaches and yeah, i spose one would go on a top rail, although the torch will still be sort-of in your aiming view, just off to one side, so not actually in the way of the sights. There are proper fittings for MOE's though iirc.

Oh, i understand now, doh! Cant fit an MOE rail fitting on due to battery space - got it.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.