Upgrading - What do I do?

TangoMoose

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I've got a CM18 MOD1 by G&G and have had it a few months and taken it to a few games. I'm already noticing how it underperforms alongside the other players, and even my brothers G&P. The body is polymer and I'm not sure on the internals, but what are your recommendations? Either a new gun or upgrades?

Thanks guys.

Hmm it shouldn't be under performing, everyone says they should just as good if not better than more expensive guns.

As Lozart said. If you want more range then it's gonna be different stuff you want to do to than say upgrading it's rate of fire.

They are good base guns but I too find the accuracy of my CM is a bit less than would be desired. My initial problem was with the hop being applied badly, that was just a reseat to fix. But on my T4-18 I have found that its the barrel and the airseal in the gun that both contribute to poor accuracy and hence range. So my recommend would be piston/piston head, cylinder head, o ring nozzle and inner barrel. This is purely about accuracy and consistency not ROF or trigger pull (better high torque motor).

I have the cm18 and it's great, with a bit of time taken to set the hop and zero your sights, I easily could hit someone 40+ metres away probably more with .25s. If I were you I would definitely do this, set it up and use good bbs.

It's not quite getting the range and accuracy i'm looking for, also it's hitting just above 340 which is an issue, so ideally I want 340 fps with more range and accuracy? I don't even know if that's possible so that's why I'm coming to the more experienced people.

*EDIT - And I mean in comparison to the other players with higher market guns, it doesn't seem to be contending with range and accuracy - I feel outgunned at a larger distance.

• Supporters

So you want to reduce the power, but get more range. Tricky.

First off you'll want a lower powered spring probably an m90 or maybe even an m85. That will give you a bit more headroom to improve the airseal with the bits brightcandle was suggesting. Also consider a tight bore barrel (6.03mm is fine) for better accuracy. Bear in mind that every thing other than the spring will potentially increase fps.

Do you guys have any specific recommendations of what to purchase? Like product names/brands I can look for? I honestly have 0 knowledge with the internals.

Also, are there any videos that can help me through the process as I'm without a job at the moment (only just left school) and can't afford a replacement if I was to screw it up.

Cheers so far guys!

Assuming you've cleaned the barrel and adjusted the hop to give the best range, and checked the hop unit is seated correctly, if its still not great I would suggest you concentrate on sorting the inner barrel and hop rubber first before looking at the gearbox which can be a minefield if you've not opened one before.

Everyone and his dog will have their own preferred brands etc but I find a ZCI or Core 6.02mm inner barrel (£15-20 from AK2M4 on this forum) and a standard £5 TM hop rubber (from Firesupport) a very cost effective upgrade personally. I used to use the dearer Madbull Black Python barrels but these are £10 or so dearer and don't offer anything over the ZCI/Core ones tbh. The Hop rubber on its own may give you better results, there are many more expensive ones out there and having tried a few always come back to the TM one, but as said these are just what I use based on experience and others will have other ideas.

Also there are tutorials on Youtube (can't link sorry, but Google "airsoft tutorial" should find), and in Airsoft International mag periodically on working on gearboxes etc.

• Supporters

As straffham said: if you have cleaned it, adjusted the hopup and sights, and you're using fine BBs, and still not good compared to other guns, change the hopup rubber to a new one. That would fix it. Tightbore barrel only improves accuracy if the factory barrel is damaged.

Also there are tutorials on Youtube (can't link sorry, but Google "airsoft tutorial" should find), and in Airsoft International mag periodically on working on gearboxes etc.

I found astkilo23 s gearbox videos great when I was doing it for the first time as they really explain things well

Edit - 100th post yay

Thanks a lot guys, i'll probably invest in those bits in a few days or so - you've all been great helps.

If there's any other upgrades you'd all recommend, please let me know as I want to make it as good of a gun as possible.

Thanks again!

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.