liquid armour

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

As a kid I always wondered why the military boffins had never considered impact shear thickening as an armour concept, although I guess looking at that link, that they were doing so and these things take time to develop; I remember as a kid being shown the fairly well known experiment which demonstrates shear thickening, the one where you can punch a bowl of thin custard and it doesn't splash everywhere but instead changes its consistency under a high energy impact, as a result of shear thickening.

Can't wait to see an M1 Abrams covered in custard, although as an unexpected bonus it will be the right colour for desert camo. This of course also means that in the event of a nuclear attack upon the UK, the safest place to be will be the Bird's Custard factory in Birmingham, anything which makes it through the outer layer of ballistic custard armour will be deflected by a custard powder dust explosion which will work the same as explosive reactive armour. Custard - the snack you can eat between meals without affecting your appetite for destruction :P

Yeah, I was hardly being serious, although as a kid I genuinely did used to wonder about stuff like that; I recall that thought occurring to me when I was shown that custard experiment. For example I used to watch sic-fi programs where they'd be firing lasers at space fighters and wonder why they didn't just put a mirror coating on them to deflect the laser beams (of course I know these days that such a mirror would only work for various wavelengths of light, so the reflective particles would need to be tuneable to certain wavelengths, but evidently that is possible to do these days).

Naturally, the other advantage of being in a Custard-armoured facility whilst awaiting the arrival some MARV warheads from a Russian submarine, is that you can tuck into a tasty custard-based dessert whilst awaiting your own just desert, safe in the knowledge that at least when you've popped off, the custard will still be warm for quite some time, as it will spend the next 400 years being gently microwaved.

I heard about this about 2 years ago from BAE Systems, at the time they thought it would be usable on its own. Evidentally it turns out the liquid itself couldn't be improved enough to stop bullets, but as a combination with Kevlar for a thinner and light vest it looks like it could be pretty effective. We might even see some Airsofters wearing it if gets light enough.

• Supporters

None of that is anything beyond experimental proof of concept. I don't think it's "in use" as such yet, is it?

None of that is anything beyond experimental proof of concept. I don't think it's "in use" as such yet, is it?

Quote from the website

"The way dilatant fluids are currently being used in body armour is by being impregnated in Kevlar and thus strengthening it. "

Currently being used ;)

• Supporters

Quote from the website

"The way dilatant fluids are currently being used in body armour is by being impregnated in Kevlar and thus strengthening it. "

Currently being used ;)

Not in service though...

• Supporters

I'm going to fill my undies with custard.

Not for armour: just because...

Edited by Ian_Gere
BTW Chock, what a lege u r lol!

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.