slings

Fugi94

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I have tried many and the only sling I have properly gotten on with is the standard issue SA80 3 point sling. I don't bother since no longer having that gun anymore, I just put my rifle down if doing a pistol run and go grab it after.

I have an ASG Strike Systems one point. There's a review on here I did of it.

One problem I didn't mention, which I probably should, is that they mean your gun hangs really low. At least if you're short like me anyway. I think this is a problem with all single point bungee slings though.

Single point slings have the gun hang quite low and vertically. To wander around with the gun you have to hold it with one hand across the body. Most of the weight is held by the sling but its still a bit of a pain to walk with. The advantage is that you can shoulder the rifle in either shoulder easily with a one point sling. One points also tend to be quite good for quick transitions to pistols, you just drop the gun and grab the pistol and depending on which way you put it on it will drop away from the pistol and not get in the way.

The two point slings have the gun sit across you, carry all of the weight and you don't have to hold it to walk around. You can also sling the weapon across your back if you want. With the right length you can actually use the sling as a contact point to steady your aim. However its not usually very easy to shoulder transition with a two point sling and dropping the gun to move to pistol often has the rifle sit in the way although it depends how you wear it.

Three point slings combine both worlds. You can have it either in a 1 point sling or a 2 point sling configuration. The main disadvantage is all the extra material you are carrying around and they don't fit all guns well. You also end up with a strip of material going down the side of the gun, which may interfere with the controls.

I personally use a 1 point sling. I bought it for CQB where there isn't much walking between combat points so the transitions mattered more, both to the other shoulder and to the pistol. However I have been playing woodland over the summer and the 1 point sling has been irritating me. There is a lot more walking with the gun down on a big site and the one point sling does still take the strain off the arms but its not the most comfortable way to do things. I am probably going to get a three point sling for the HK416 and a 2 point for the tar 21 where currently I use a 1 point.

• Supporters

I had all of these. The best I found is an adjustable 2 point sling. With one pull, you can make it longer or shorter.

One end is on the base of the stock. The other end is either on the barrel end of the gun as a classic 2 point sling, or in the other end of the sling, making it a one point sling.

• Supporters

I don't like 1 points - the gun flaps about when you drop it to transition to pistol, or for fiddling with bangs/smoke/sweets etc.

2 points are ok on some guns - AK's for eg work very well with their intended 'real steel' slings

I prefer 3 points - when you drop the gun it stays across your chest

I just bought one of these Russian "Trehtochechnik"

$(KGrHqNHJFYE+,N98!05BQUtFzHv-Q~~60_57.J

...haven't skirmished it yet, but it's very comfortable

and the rear strap goes around any gun's stock.

I've used my old neck strap from one of my rc model transmitter

I can have it as a 1 or 2 point sling just by adjusting it

I use a 2 point as a 1 point, clip the clips onto each space on the buffer mount, and I then tighten it enlighten to get the rifle into my shoulder, but so I have to undo the strap to take it off, proves very worth while but if I'm using my 417 I won't use a sling, as it's too long

There are pro's and cons to all sling types. It will depend a lot on the weapon and play style, which is best. Single point slings work well with shorter guns such as an MP5 or short M4 in CQB as they hold the gun vertically on the chest and allow easy transition from one hand to the other. 2 point slings can be a PITA but work best when you won't be switching hands or where you only use the sling when walking to the safe zone etc. 3 point slings are more versatile but will take some practice.

It may be just me, but I am stuck with 2 point slings for my WW2 guns and I just do not find them very helpful at all, they just get in the way all the time.

• Supporters

I have a single point Magpul MS2 copy. Don't like bungie slings for all the reasons mentioned above - they hang too low and if it's a cheap one they bounce when you run. The MS2 is a "non-bungie" single point and if you adjust it properly your gun won't be impaling your knees the whole time. I do use a three point tactical sling on my M4 from time to time and personally I don't find the strip that runs the length of the gun to be an issue but it depends on the gun and the user. Single pint slings on guns with ambidextrous style mounts (such as the Magpul asap on an M4) make left to right transitions easier than with some other slings but again, a lot of that is actually down to practice and using the weapon correctly.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.