Boot advice please

strewthirwin

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

It depends on your size and on what you want, do you want a specific look? as part of a load out? or are you just looking for good sturdy reliable boots?

You can get good condition cheap ex military boots in loads of places, Pro boots are gortex lined and insulated and if looked after can last ages. go round the surplus shops, try on different sizes and styles and types and find what suits you best and then look around online for a good bargin!

Very good quality , popular military used brands are Lowa, Meindle, Altberg or in some cases, Hi Tech (Magnum).

I'd agree with everything Cavninja said. If you're only wearing them for airsoft once a week or what have you and you want new, then Magnums will be fine. I wear boots day in day out at work and used to wear Magnum's. There are a few different styles, but I'd say you're best off going for full leather instead of the nylon sided as the full leather will keep your feet dryer. Bates are another half decent make if you're after the standard black combat boot style. Both the Magnum's and Bates will last a while if you're only using them once a week or so, but I found I was having to replace them every year or so. I've started wearing Lowa GTX combat boots and they are fantastic. Very comfortable straight out the box and last for ages. I've had a couple of pairs now and I'd not look at anything else. If you can get a second hand pair in your budget then I'd say go for them, you won't be disappointed.

• Supporters

I swear by surplus German Para Boots, but they're not exactly comfy straight from the shop, you need to put insoles in 'em. I have very slim feet, so whatever boots I get they tend to slip forward, which then tends to crush my toes, so i need to stick some extra thickness of insole under the balls of my feet to prevent this - lighter boots do up tighter across my instep and that helps against this problem too (Magnum Panther 8's for eg), but I persevere with the GPB's because they are 100% waterproof, indestructible and less of a bastard on the heels than British Assault Boots.

I bought a pair of Grade 2 surplus Altbergs a while back, but they aren't much use for my feet as they are (there's a crease in exactly the wrong place for the toes of my left foot) and I just got bored of trying to sort them out. One day when I'm bored I may have another go with the old moisturiser, damp paper, and radiator cure.

The challenge is trying these types of boots on. That really is the ideal thing to do but of course there aren't all that many places that sell military boots where most peoples live. Its what I recommend you do but its not something I did to buy mine although I know I should have. I actually looked for lots of people reviewing the comfort of boots and went for ones that a lot of people were happy with (a set of Viper Special ops boots). I don't think they hold up well in the woodland, because the suede is not good with mud but they are really comfortable and reasonably light.

I think ordering boots online is a pretty risky business, you could very well get a set that wont fit well, so order from somewhere with a try on and return policy so you can go through some different models or sizes just incase the first ones don't fit you.

British military surplus as mentioned is your best option price wise as they are really cheap and they are either issued or ex issued foot wear, generally the size you are should reflect the boot size, I bought magnums from them and got a size 11 and they fit fine, as you will need boots for Airsoft and cadets I would recommend leather as they will easier than suede to clean for cadets especially now with the current weather so when you airsoft you can use them and clean for cadets two birds one stone, the alternative get two pairs so you can have a set pair for both activitys. All along though it's personal preference and what sort of look you want for airsoft, what CAMO do you have for airsoft ? Dpm will look better with a black boot and MTP best suits a tan or desert boot but again that's your choice. Comfort ability is obviously factor one so ask your cadet buddies about their boots so you can get a better idea.

Die with your boots on !!!

British Assault boots are the standard footwear you should be looking at for cadets. If you're in the ACF then brown boots are a viable option, I'm not sure if the RAF are issued with browns so the ATC might not be.

I've used BA Boots for years on parades, exercises, range days, expeditions etc- and they're fine if you look after them

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.