Eyes protection

Gargamel

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I wear quite big prescription glasses. I want some airsoft protection for eyes and i can't find a mask or googles that will fit over my glasses. Did anyone found something good and can tell me on which online store i can buy it? Any other ideas for eyes protection? I don't want contact lenses.

• Supporters

I bought these:

http://www.bolle-safety.com/plastic-spectacles/twister-twister

Well worth the cost.

They won't work with prescription glasses.

Bolle x1000 goggles come in an Rx friendly version with a deeper profile to fit over specs. You can get them from Amazon.

• Supporters

With the extra likelihood of fogging, I'd say you need mesh over glasses rather than lenses. A fencing type mask will fit over just about any specs. Like this. The problem with them is that you cannot get anything in your mouth, like drinks and/or sweets, without tipping them up, which may well send marshals into paroxisms.

I'm planning on adding a hamster-cage-esque door over the mouth area of the one i have - i have a piece of mesh which has some automotive purpose, but it doesn't really matter what, so long as it will stop BB's, because it's not like anyone needs to see through that part. I did also think about just velcroing it on...

I didn't have any luck using goggles with glasses or inserts. I found the mesh goggles didn't go over glasses comfortably at all well either. In the end I gave up with glasses and went with contacts, I don't like them but its the only thing that fits and doesn't add major fogging.

With the extra likelihood of fogging, I'd say you need mesh over glasses rather than lenses. A fencing type mask will fit over just about any specs. Like this. The problem with them is that you cannot get anything in your mouth, like drinks and/or sweets, without tipping them up, which may well send marshals into paroxisms.

I'm planning on adding a hamster-cage-esque door over the mouth area of the one i have - i have a piece of mesh which has some automotive purpose, but it doesn't really matter what, so long as it will stop BB's, because it's not like anyone needs to see through that part. I did also think about just velcroing it on...

But if you get shot in that kind of mask, parts of BB will go through in the face/eyes?

Well no tbh, it has happened, but apparently it's lie soap in the eyes meaning just wash it out with water. But it has never happened to me before and I've never seen it happen. And your wearing glasses underneath as well

They won't work with prescription glasses.

Bolle x1000 goggles come in an Rx friendly version with a deeper profile to fit over specs. You can get them from Amazon.

They are prescription glasses.

• Supporters

They are prescription glasses.

Sorry, saw the picture and assumed they were a standard pair of Trackers.

• Supporters

But if you get shot in that kind of mask, parts of BB will go through in the face/eyes?

I've been hit in the eye by a fragment of shattered BB through mesh goggles (through my Hero Sharks if anyone is interested) and it was like getting sand in my eye at the beach. I just went back to the safe zone and rinsed my eye out with a few handfuls of water - it was fine - no soreness, no blurred vision, etc. Airsoft_Ed has had something similar happen iirc and i've heard similar experience from a few other people.

Basically the tiny fragment of BB cannot carry enough kinetic energy to do you any harm. It is however sharp so, if you rub your eye, it will scratch the surface and irritate the arse off you. I forget whom, but one of our members has had this happen to them also. He had a sore eye at the time, but is fine. As Flex said though, you will have specs on and trust me, they would have to be made from cling film to be damaged by a fragment of BB carrying less than an absolute maximum of 0.12 Joules of energy.

• Supporters

The thing to bear in mind when choosing eye protection is this: it is an equation with safety on one side and usability on the other.

Obviously zero % chance of anything getting into your eye is the most desirable solution, but if that comes at the cost of so much fogging, or liquid buildup on fog-proof lenses, that you cannot spot camouflaged people shooting at you, then it is no use for airsoft. There is another safety issue too: if you fog up really badly you may break your ankle or trip and fall on something sharp simply because you cannot see the ground in front of you well enough.

I know that sounds extreme, but the first day I skirmished I wore a hired paintball mask and could hardly see through it at all for much of the day. I tripped several times - it's just luck that nothing disastrous happened as a result. But then again I was sweating like a rapist, so if you're pretty fit you may have less problems.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.