Advice, hints, alternatives please

sutty7100

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi guys, I'm looking at going down the 3 games, UKARA get my own Rif route rather than buying a two-tone. Also gives me time to pick up some bits over time.

I've looked at some reviews of the weapons I like the look of but am looking for some opinions please.

Weapon - I'm looking at either a

G&G cm18 mod 1 from land warriors airsoft - £154.99 and 5 mid cap 120 rnd mags and a speed loader - £42.99 or

Cyma - M4 CQB RAS - full metal from Patrol Base - £179.99 not sure about mags or

Ares - Amoeba AM-008 M4 from Patrol Base - £184.99 mid cap 140 rnd mags at £17.95 each

Clothing - got myself combat 95 jacket and trousers

Boots - got some hiking boots for now but will replace them with some British army pro boots for £30

Webbing - been looking at a mil-tec tactical assault vest from amazon at £28.50 not sure if it will fit nicely though since I'm a xxl, and get a couple of double m4 mag pouches at £6.95 each

Face cover - I want to get a Black bear half face and ear mesh mask, and any suggestions for eye protection would be appreciated.

Anything I've forgotten please tell me thanks in advance guys.

Definitely would recommend the G&G out of those three!! I have a CYMA M4 and wish I'd bought a G&G.

Also Ares don't have very good internals! The plastic is said to feel really cheap on them as well, not like G&Gs nylon fibre reinforced polymer. I really hate the look of the Amoeba series too personally. People still buy em though :|

Sounds good what you have so far. If you have a look on Military1st.co.uk and Flecktarn.co.uk there should be good quality chest rigs around that price for sale there.

For pouches and other gear UK Tactical all mil spec quality stuff, and they always have Warrior Assault Systems things on sale. Worth taking a look but a lot of it might have sold out. Depends what colour / camo pattern you want.

Eye pro - no specific suggestions, but make sure it's full seal for max protection and of course made by a good company. Make sure they pass EN/166 standards.

I wouldn't buy the plain british Combat boots, there a bit crap and need wearing in - not ideal for only wearing them at most 4 times a month - I've a pair of Meindl desert boots that have lasted me 2 deployments and a years worth of skirmishing. If it's bouncing it down your feet will get damp eventually - though I've been waist deep in a puddle and they were still comfortable and didn't rub.

I wouldn't buy the plain british Combat boots, there a bit crap and need wearing in - not ideal for only wearing them at most 4 times a month - I've a pair of Meindl desert boots that have lasted me 2 deployments and a years worth of skirmishing. If it's bouncing it down your feet will get damp eventually - though I've been waist deep in a puddle and they were still comfortable and didn't rub.

Pro Boots are a fair bit better than the Rather shit BCH ones,for one they are goretex lined and overall have a very nice quality. The ones with the red inner lining are said to be the best apparently. Soles are said to be much stronger than BCH

IMO the soles are still a bit on the weak side,mine have finally killed themselves after 1 and a half years of very heavy use but once they're sitting on some nice vibram soles I'd say they can soldier on for a very long time

• Supporters

Can't go wrong with some 95 Patt stuff!

Boots, just use the hiking boots, you get much nicer boots for it usually. The standard boots aren't very waterproof and are heavy + Rub etcetcetc. They are objectively not good combat boots for airsofting.

Eye pro is personal, some guys use stuff that they can't get to steam up, but on other people the same specs go cloudy instantly. Try as many different pairs on as possible, and try to avoid mesh.

The gun is my specialty though, and I'll point out for fairness sake that I DO work for Patrol Base as the technician.

I would have the amoeba out of those 3.

I've been in loads of all 3 gearboxes and the ares is by far the most solid internally. The only issues we've had have been:

1. People using crap BBs and getting a jam then trying to spin the gearbox again and stripping teeth.

2. we've had maybe 3 broken tappet plates having sold (literally) hundreds of the units.

3. The bushing on the bevel gears used to wear out very quickly. Ares seem to have remedied this by putting bearings on the bevel gear, just make sure before hammering the rifle and replace the whole set to bearings if you can.

4. The mosfets have burnt out when people have jammed the gearboxes as above and caused a surge of power to the motor. Also caused by people getting + and - mixed up on the wires. None of the improved Blue mosfets have been faulty/broken yet.

The cymas gearboxes are the standard affair, nothing to write home about, but certainly very solidly built.

The G&Gs are to be honest, lackluster at best. I know people like them for starter rifles, but if you have the money to get something else - do so. The gears are a cheap alloy and the pistons are cheap, copper bushings wear out quick and are awkward to replace.

M4 may be a bit boring compared to some of the more exotic weaponry you could pick, but lots of people do pick them for the simple reason that it is a good choice. Mags are cheap, lots of parts are available, loads of customising options open to you such as sight choices and rails etc, and you can fit a grenade launcher to it easily. It's suitable for CQB and open woodland stuff too. I'd say either the CYMA or the G&G (both are good), and if it were me, I'd go with the G&G, they look very realistic in terms of finish and work well too considering they're not that pricey. I actually use a D Boys M4 SIR, but there's nothing wrong with your choices and if I did not have that D Boys, I'd get a G&G.

I'd consider picking up a three-point sling for your M4. Some rifles actually come with one in the box, but if yours does not, they can be had for not much money. They are much better for getting the weapon up into your shoulder quickly than a basic two point sling and they mean you can run without having the weapon flapping about all over the place.

DPM 95 is okay for British woodland, but MTP works better. Up real close in woodland DPM works well, but past fifteen metres distance it is too dark, MTP works a lot better. MTP is also a bit more versatile for differing terrains, whereas DPM can really stick out in some terrains. Of course if you are doing indoor CQB it really makes little difference. Personally, I wear all black stuff, which is actually worse than either DPM or MTP in woodland, but I like it anyway, and so if you like DPM 95, go for it. Whichever camo you choose, keep in mind that you should always consider what is behind you, because that is really what makes it work, or not.

Any decent boots or even reasonably tough high ankle trainers will do the job, just make sure you can squat down in them comfortably. Personally, I wear British Army Wet Weather Boots, which are leather with a goretex lining and a vibram sole. They are comfortable to wear for long periods and flexible enough to let you squat easily.

Webbing is up to you, because it depends on whether you like to travel light or take everything including the kitchen sink. I see plenty of people wearing nothing more than an old Vietnam War era Chinese chest rig designed to hold some AK mags and they seem to do alright with that, since you can fit a lot of different mag types or other stuff into those AK pouches. Personally, I use a black 600D nylon load bearing tactical vest with shoulder padding which has a laced mesh back. It is polyurethane coated, so it's very tough and waterproof too. It has 4 mag pouches, a couple of grenade pockets, plus nylon velcro straps to attach a tactical belt. I hang a leg holster from the tactical belt on the right side and an old RAF Browning Hi Power belt holster on the left side. That works for me because I use a 300 round mag on my M4, so I can carry mags for the two pistols in the mag pockets, and if I instead use my GBB MP5K, there is enough pocket space to carry three 50 round mags for that, so even with a GBB main weapon I've got 200 rounds plus nearly 100 rounds for the two pistols. The only thing I would say about such a lightweight vest of the kind I have, as opposed to something more hefty, is that it provides no protection from hits to your sides and quite a lot of your back in the shoulder area, but I don't get hit in those places often enough for it to be a major concern. Whatever webbing you get, consider picking up a couple of caribiners, they are useful for attaching various other bits and bobs easily. Carry some adhesive tape in your webbing or a pocket too, it's really useful for running repairs on stuff and always comes in handy, especially to stop stuff flapping around.

I favour a pair of mesh goggles and a mesh lower face protector, because it is a bit fresher and cooler than a full one piece face mask and there is no possibility of it fogging my view up, nor does it restrict peripheral vision much. I also wear a replica PASGT helmet, and I recommend you get some kind of helmet as well, or at the very least a baseball cap or forage cap. A high FPS BB to the head really hurts; only this weekend I went to my car and got a couple of caps out of it that I had in the boot to lend to other players who had shown up without head protection, both of them had taken hits to the forehead, one of which had cut their skin, and they realised it was a mistake not to cover up that bit of yourself. I would also get a keffiyah scarf (shemagh), they provide a lot of neck and throat protection, and again this week I had someone on my team who got hit in the adam's apple, and that really hurt them pretty badly. Chances are, you will get a lot of BBs coming up at your head and neck because that's the bit you always have exposed when you come out of cover to aim.

I'd also consider knee and elbow pads. Being shot in the elbow hurts a lot and you will be doing a lot of kneeling and crawling, so protecting your knees is a good idea. The chances of being hit in your right elbow are pretty high, since this is very exposed when you poke around a corner to take a shot. Unless you are a lefty, in which case the same is true of your left arm.

Make sure you get an easily portable water bottle of some kind. It gets bloody hot running around with heavy gear. It doesn't have to be fancy, even an old plastic lucozade bottle will do if you don't want to spend money on some bit of army kit. Make sure it is small enough to carry easily and not be flapping around or falling out of a pocket. Stick a bigger bottle in your bag to refill it from.

If you are doing a lot of CQB, consider getting a training knife to throw or use up close, they are more use than you might think, since many sites ban you from firing at less than 1.5 metres range, so if someone is on the other side of a door, you can get them with your knife, which is a lot less painful than shooting them at 1.5 metres with something doing 300 fps.

While I agree 100% with everyone elses advice and guidance, I am going to offer a different perspective. Being that you do not currently possess any gear, you are in an advantageous position. When you go out and play, ask the rental office if you can swap guns out. This way, you can utilize several different rifles. Try an M4, a G36, or any other rifle you want. This way you can experience its weight, its feel. Once you commit to a battle rifle, its not like you can just pass it right off and get something different. It may be a while before you can upgrade. Speaking of upgrades, research that as well. You will need to review the weapons sustainability as well as its ability to accommodate any mods you may want. Look at the internals of the rifle, what version gearbox, what type of gear box, will the gear box need to be replaced quickly, what is the gear box made of, look at types of batteries. The last thing you want is to get the rifle then need to spend a chunk getting it up to spec.

As to gear, well again, thats personal preference. I do not know if its the same here in the UK as it is in the US, but most US players gradually evolve into a role they portray. You may want to run the same loadout as the SAS, or British Marine, GSG9, US Army Ranger/SEAL/ODA, Russian Spetsnaz. Heck you may want to portray Johnny Jihad and run around with a man dress on and head scarf yelling "DURKA DURKA JIHAD" while firing your weapon blindly over you head sideways. Personally I don't recommend that, but I will not discourage you if thats what you want. As you research your chosen airsoft persona, look at all the gear needed. Some units run light and fast, while others are heavier. I personally run a heavier kit, but I have everything thing I need for any situation. Its big, its bulky, it can at times make me a bullet magnet, but its the same loadout I used in Iraq. You need to find your style. RESEARCH RESEARCH RESEARCH

Above all else, do what will make you happy. Play the way you want. This is your hobby, and most importantly, your money. Go with what makes you happy.

~~~GARRY OWEN~~~

Hi guys, I'm looking at going down the 3 games, UKARA get my own Rif route rather than buying a two-tone. Also gives me time to pick up some bits over time.

I've looked at some reviews of the weapons I like the look of but am looking for some opinions please.

Weapon - I'm looking at either a

G&G cm18 mod 1 from land warriors airsoft - £154.99 and 5 mid cap 120 rnd mags and a speed loader - £42.99 or

Cyma - M4 CQB RAS - full metal from Patrol Base - £179.99 not sure about mags or

Ares - Amoeba AM-008 M4 from Patrol Base - £184.99 mid cap 140 rnd mags at £17.95 each

Clothing - got myself combat 95 jacket and trousers

Boots - got some hiking boots for now but will replace them with some British army pro boots for £30

Webbing - been looking at a mil-tec tactical assault vest from amazon at £28.50 not sure if it will fit nicely though since I'm a xxl, and get a couple of double m4 mag pouches at £6.95 each

Face cover - I want to get a Black bear half face and ear mesh mask, and any suggestions for eye protection would be appreciated.

Anything I've forgotten please tell me thanks in advance guys.

Weapon

G&G CM ARs - good rep

CYMA ARs - horrible rep

ARES in general - horrible rep, accurate externals

Clothing

Sounds good

Boots

Would use the camping boots until you get into airsoft

Webbing

Since you probably run highcap in the beginning. I'd wait with the webbing, you can ask to try some other peoples at the games to see what fits and ask what similar sized people use. I am about 6'4, I think waist 38-40 and I run chestrig, but never had any size issues with any webbing.

Face cover

I run cheap plastic from DIY store/building merchants.. not bothered what covers my mouth, as it stops bbs from knocking my teeth out and doesn't steam up up my goggles. advantage with two part is that you can remove lower face (if you're over 18) between games but when not in safe zone.

and yea.. you forgot kneepads.

I'd get some straight away, you only get one pair knees and busting them sucks. and kneeling for longer periods without them also sucks.

Two tone VS rental

You're of course free to do as you want to. But here is my advise, and it specially applies to G&G CM16. If you buy a two tone, you will get to use a brand new AEG rather than a busted rental until you got your UKARA. and the loss of selling it 2nd hand/replacing twotone parts/removing two tone paint/repainting it will be less than what you've spent on rental.

Check out britishmilitarysurplus.co.uk

They do a great deal for shirt, trousers and smock in DPM or DDPM for £25 which is a good way to get a basic set of clothing. They also have boots at good prices. While you're at it, get a hat, scrim scarf or shemagh. You will also want gloves. The most painful places to get shot are Hands, head, ears and neck.

With regard to load carrying, there are lots of options. Tactical vests tend to be very adjustable so you needn't worry about sizing. Webbing and Molle both allow customisation of which pouches you have. I personally prefer webbing to molle vests as it allows you to keep cooler and it doesn't stop you feeling hits. Most people go for a molle vest though 'cos they look cool and require less work to adjust them properly. I would suggest that starting out, you get something cheap in Tan or Olive drab. Black is very easy to spot in woodland but plain colours are easier to find cheap pouches for and will work with any new camo you decide to get.

While I agree 100% with everyone elses advice and guidance, I am going to offer a different perspective. Being that you do not currently possess any gear, you are in an advantageous position. When you go out and play, ask the rental office if you can swap guns out. This way, you can utilize several different rifles. Try an M4, a G36, or any other rifle you want. This way you can experience its weight, its feel. Once you commit to a battle rifle, its not like you can just pass it right off and get something different. It may be a while before you can upgrade.

~~~GARRY OWEN~~~

Well put, good advice :) I can relate to this cos it's what I should've done. Try lots out, research the ones you like, and make sure you are researching the right one. For example I bought a CYMA M4 because I'd seen like one review of it, and the one I got was different to the one in the review. Apparently it had the same internals, yet a polymer receiver. Now I know CYMAs aren't that good I wish I had bought a Combat Machine.

Everyone at the site should be friendly so you could ask to try out one of their guns, just get a feel for it or whatever. I know it will be different in the US but over here I don't think many sites have more than one model of hire gun (say just a crate of G36s or a load of M4s, but not both)

People will let you hold their guns though. Try a few and look at the following:

-Are the iron sights easy to use (you never see people check this but its really important)

-Does it feel comfortable to hold

-Does it look cool (most important thing really)

This will help you choose a type of gun that suits you. Then ask about who makes the best one to decide on a manufacturer.

Most people seem to be set on getting an M4 before they even hold a gun. Try to be open minded, there are lots of styles of gun out there and you may find that something different suits better. Sometimes it's fun being the guy who has something different (I should know, I tend to turn up with a Sten and an SMLE :) ).

Yeah, if you've got the cash buy two tone and then when you have your defence see it out with magpul goodies and a nice rail. Not cheap, however standard kit is 20 put together on eBay saves 120 plus quid from renting you could say

Already got the DPM trousers and jacket had the jacket in the loft so just bought the trousers from fleabay, I fancy a plate carrier of some kind used PLCE webbing in the past and it seems like overkill to carry that much gear to a airsoft game (might be proven wrong)

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.