Prepping

Hav0c

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Anyone on these forums into Prepping?

If so, what sort of preps have you prepared and what are you prepping for?

I feel that Airsofting has led me to take more of an interest in prepping, and even though I haven't really made any major preps, I've found myself conjuring up a rough plan of action and a few general locations for 'bugging out'.

Mostly the same for me. I get extremely bored at work, on public transport etc so I end up thinking about what I would do. I don't have anything major like some of the American preppers do- there used to be a TV show with lots of them on it, including hippies who lived in a converted nuclear missile bunker and a man in California who had dug 40 or 50 foxholes around his property.

All I keep is some boil in the bag meals left over from ration packs (also got various bits and pieces left over, including just-add-water heating packs) and my multicam rig.

In an event which results in a breakdown of society, I'd fill my rig with:

• Hydration pouch
  • Mess tins
  • Gas cooker
  • Camping lighter
  • Tea towel for silencing (and cleaning the tins)
  • Red and white light torches
  • Leatherman Pocket Survival Tool
  • Mora combat/hunting knife
  • Gerber STL 2.5 pocket knife
  • Boil in the bag meals and various snacks

I'd also grab my day sack and fill it with:

• Multicam poncho- can be used as a waterproof coverall as well as a shelter
  • Bungees and tent pegs to secure the poncho and use it as a basha
  • Warm kit in the form of a fleece, spare socks, spare trousers, spare undies
  • Sleeping bag
  • Roll mat secured on the outside
  • Extra water bottle in an external pouch
  • Boil-in-bag meals I can't fit in my webbing
  • Spare cooking gas
  • Spare batteries
  • Ceramic knife sharpener
  • Any food I can grab from the shop across the road/loot from houses. Screw TVs, I want your beans!

Seems like we're in the same train of thought.

I've practiced getting my things together and getting ready to walk out the door and it took me around 30 minutes from an unready position, which I thought was reasonable for someone who doesn't 'prep' day-to-day.

I've got an old Berghaus Bergen that I'd have my bug-out things in and have the essentials within the side pockets incase I had to ditch the actual pack.

• 2 months later...

Forget gas canisters, get hexi blocks, takes up far less room

In my Bergen (when I was in the army)

-combat trousers, jacket & Norwegian army shirt

-sleeping bag & bivvi bag (I could sling it over my back & bug out)

1 day sack

- waterproofs (jacket, trousers, wooly hat, gloves & scarf)

Other day sack

-NBC suit (jacket, trousers, inner gloves, outer gloves & over boots)

Webbing

-socks

-undies

- poncho, food etc

Now I've got kids, I've had to think about doing it 3 times and its quite heavy, would weigh close to 130 pounds

I watched the national Geographic series on peppers, was quite interesting, especially the way different people went about it. Then the stereotypical American guy shot his own finger off lol.

I found it strange that a family of 4 would have assault rifles + shotguns + pistols and 25000 rounds of ammo or something crazy along those lines. That's preparing for war not the end of the world and you would need to be absolutely heartless to shoot someone in that kind of situation.

• Supporters

I found it strange that a family of 4 would have assault rifles + shotguns + pistols and 25000 rounds of ammo or something crazy along those lines. That's preparing for war not the end of the world and you would need to be absolutely heartless to shoot someone in that kind of situation.

If you have resources then you're a potential target though, you'd have to defend your food source etc. That's for their own protection more than anything. In such a situation you'd have to look out for yourself first and foremost.

It seems crazier to us that they have guns so readily but then they sell firearms in their equivalent of Tesco over there so it's not such a surprise.

If you have resources then you're a potential target though, you'd have to defend your food source etc. That's for their own protection more than anything. In such a situation you'd have to look out for yourself first and foremost.

It seems crazier to us that they have guns so readily but then they sell firearms in their equivalent of Tesco over there so it's not such a surprise.

If you have guns you have to be prepared to use them and have people use them against you and as most people haven't had combat experience it's gonna end badly for them. The only way to survive is to be light, mobile and have knowledge of basic survival skills.

• Supporters

I wouldn't last long because my health problems require some complex and expensive meds - i do have a stash of the most difficult to get hold of which would last a few months used as frugally as poss and a lot of camping and survival gear, so i spose i would give it a go. But tbh unless i could link up with some people whose company i enjoy, i wouldn't bloody bother. I've reached a stage in life where survival for the sake of surviving doesn't seem like a given. I'm more concerned about quality of life and if it degenerated into living in fear 24-7, scrounging the merest calories necessary to sustain life, being cold & wet more often than not, not to mention in pain due to health problems, fighting people over what today we would consider the poxiest of resources... nah, a nice peaceful bottle of scotch and a massive handful of morphine and good night...

• 2 months later...

I have a DVD boxed set of MacGyver and all the relevant stationary, as well as a pair of clippers to give myself an appropriate mullet

The tv show was hilarious, all these mad yanks digging bunkers etc, especially that they all had one very specific 'end-of-the-world' scenario in mind.

This kid of futile paranoia is bad for people. One the most recent american school massacres last year was done by a kid whoose parents were such paranoid nutters, and had trained him to use an AR15 to fight off the commie invasion.

Personally, I'm pretty certain an apocalypic event is going to make the odds of you even having time to crawl into your bunker slim, and at best give you a couple months of unpleasant living.

• Supporters

The most important step for becoming yank-prepped is to make sure that your baeball cap brim is correctly curled. I think there's a Crye Precision tool for it...

• Supporters

The most important step for becoming yank-prepped is to make sure that your baeball cap brim is correctly curled. I think there's a Crye Precision tool for it...

Bean tin, elastic band and patience. It's the redneck way :)

• 2 weeks later...

Prepping for war, thats why I collect uniforms for various terrains and weather conditions, book related to training different tactics, as well as real army equipment. I will most likely die, sooner or later when the bad times come, but I dont think I will fall in the first line, just a bit later. I have a black powder gun at the moment, I wish I could get something modern.

Definitely not thinking of food, or medicine right now.

The list of must have things is long...

Not as full on as those guys on Doomsday Preppers, but I have some minor bits and bobs. Having experienced a mini crisis a few years ago when the local water supply got polluted and could not be drunk. Every supermarket within miles had sold out of bottled water instantly as people panic bought stuff. You could still boil and drink the tap water, but it goes to show how people panic!

Ever since then I have half a dozen big bottles of water stashed away, plus a 200 liter water butt in case the water went off completely. I also have an "apocalypse" box of tinned food etc. Not a lot, but enough for a week or so if there was a fuel strike/snow etc that effected the ability of the supermarkets to get stock. If it lasts more than a week, then I'll have to decide which of the cats to eat first ;-)

I keep meaning to buy a camping stove to boil water/cook food if there was an energy shortage. Got a hand axe and the local woods can supply fuel for the bbq I guess! Not really looked at bugging out as an option.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.