Best GBB pistol

ikarma70

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi guys, buying a GBB pistol and I have my eye on a WE 1911, are these any good and are there any better?

I would like to keep my loadout as close to ww2 as possible so beretta and glocks are not in the equation, however I do like Lugers and Brownings.

Co2 is a viable option for me too.

Atb

Andy

1911s are actually WE's worst pistols. Their newer pistols are good but not the 1911s. Also the magazines don't hold a lot of gas because they're small. So best option is either a TM or CO2 like Monty said. Make sure the FPS isn't too high if you want a CO2 one because for example Redwolf's Nighthawk Custom 1911 is way too hot unfortunately :( (400 FPS)

Generally it's KWA NS2/PTP, TM (especially 5.7), WE glock gen4.

WE glocks are suppose to not be quite up there with KWA & TM, thou a lot of their reputation is from their older guns like the 1911.. TM is good, but plastic and not propane compatible. KWA NS2/PTP is just perfection as far as I am concerned - can handle propane and winter weather. Thou being metal they are heavier than TM (which can be an advantage if you want "realism" or a disadvantage if you want something thats easy to carry with you).

From my experience (and from what I've heard from others), I'd stay away from KJW. Thou in all fairness, their customer service is excellent.

... TM is good, but plastic and not propane compatible...

In all the cases I've seen... All the hi capa and 1911 guns... Only the slides are plastic. And they can run propane fine, but not in the summer or generally warmer weather.

There's some notable exceptions, but anything with 1911 style controls is bulletproof. You can also buy metal slide TM hi capa for not too much.

In all the cases I've seen... All the hi capa and 1911 guns... Only the slides are plastic. And they can run propane fine, but not in the summer or generally warmer weather.

There's some notable exceptions, but anything with 1911 style controls is bulletproof. You can also buy metal slide TM hi capa for not too much.

well. they apparently do not hold up against it, being plastic and designed for duster gas.

thou, from my limited experience and konwledge, I dont think I would get a tm 1911, propane or no propane..

• Supporters

The TM 1911 is the only one worth buying two_zero. The mags are so small that only the light weight plastic TM slide is efficient enough to be worth while.

NH Shooter, all tm 1911 frames a plastic too, hicapas are metal though, your right on that

• Supporters

The standard TM Hicapa is plastic, all of their pistols are.

I've run all my TM guns on propane, even in the height of summer (high 20's) and have never had a slide explode on me. That said, I have seen pictures of TM guns with cracked slides... but who knows what those guns were subjected to before they cracked? Could have been dropped a few times before their careless owners filled them up with propane and left the mags in direct sunlight to get really good and hot for an hour!

If you want the BEST GBB pistol money can buy, pick the style you want and get a TM. It'll shoot further, more accurately, more reliably and in more varied weather conditions than any other brand you can buy. That said, it'll be plastic, but that's WHY it does all of the above. If you want a shiny wall hanger or something that'll look cool in a holster get whatever you want.

I'm holding my tm hi capa right now... Steel frame. It's completely standard.

I'll conceed on the meu based ones (MD) ... I think the version I saw was modded, thinking back on it. But the hi capa is most definitely steel, as standard. (JC)... Notice the wear pattern next to the tm name...

IMG_20140712_170025_zpsduwlqo2j.jpg

Kind of... You can buy new ones, upgraded with metal slide, upgraded barrel, loading nozzle and hop rubber for only £55 extra... And the slide doesn't really affect anything. Mine, out of the box, out ranged (more accurately) most modified pistols... Even with its standard slide. Fires a nice 270fps or higher on green... The metal slide conversation would make it an excellently durable pistol. Not that it isn't already...

Certainly worth noting.

Weight of slide impacts the gun efficiency, which is the TM M1911's main selling point.....if an M1911 with a completely metal construction was released with a high efficiency then there would be no point in the TM existing.
I wouldn't really call a metal slide an upgrade if it negatively impacts gas efficiency

• Supporters

Kind of... You can buy new ones, upgraded with metal slide, upgraded barrel, loading nozzle and hop rubber for only £55 extra... And the slide doesn't really affect anything. Mine, out of the box, out ranged (more accurately) most modified pistols... Even with its standard slide. Fires a nice 270fps or higher on green... The metal slide conversation would make it an excellently durable pistol. Not that it isn't already...

the plastic slide is what makes all the difference, weight is a huge issue; the boiling off of your gas is what provides the energy to propel the BB and cycle the slide, the heavier the slide the more energy this takes and therefore the more gas needs to boil off to cycle it. Not only that, a heavy slide (metal) will cycle slower because gas boils off at a flat rate.

THAT is why marui pistols with plastic slides perform better than other brands with metal slides... physics.

Which is why mine stays plastic... I was just pointing out options. But worth noting again... Is that by increasing gas pressure, you offset the increased inertia to a varying extent. Remember it's an unregulated system though... It doesn't actually use more gas. The energy needed to cycle the slide and project the round isn't balanced against the mechanism... So I'm not sure of a loss of power when using high pressure gasses. I'd need to check, but I think slide velocity dictates the gas useage... I know it did on a recent sig rebuild... I'll have to check the hi capa.

If its the same type of mechanism, I think the math would add up. I'll have a look tomorrow.

• Supporters

Which is why mine stays plastic... I was just pointing out options. But worth noting again... Is that by increasing gas pressure, you offset the increased inertia to a varying extent. Remember it's an unregulated system though... It doesn't actually use more gas. The energy needed to cycle the slide and project the round isn't balanced against the mechanism... So I'm not sure of a loss of power when using high pressure gasses. I'd need to check, but I think slide velocity dictates the gas useage... I know it did on a recent sig rebuild... I'll have to check the hi capa.

If its the same type of mechanism, I think the math would add up. I'll have a look tomorrow.

this is unintelligible gibberish, I'd be extremely surprised to hear you were sober when you vomited this stream of just-about-consciousness onto your keyboard.

It's simple physics:

Propane boils from liquid (in magazine) to gas (valve open) at a fixed rate

The valve on the magazine DOES NOT CLOSE until the slide has cycled back far enough to reset the valve knocker

A 50gram metal slide requires twice as much energy to move as a 25gram plastic one, it also accelerates slower.

The energy input, from the propane boiling is a constant rate of X joules per gram that boils off, which we can equate to X seconds of the valve being open since the boil rate is (functionally at least) constant.

Because the metal slide needs more energy to cycle it requires more gas to boil in order to do this... so gas usage with a heavier slide increases.

Not only that, generally with a heavier slide you'll also need a heavier recoil spring to keep the gun cycling at an acceptable rate which means EVEN MORE energy is required to push the slide back to the point where the valve knocker is reset.

Lighter (plastic!) slides are MORE EFFICIENT and use less gas per shot than metal ones.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.