TMC Strandhogg

Mr Monkey Nuts

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Anyone ever used or seen one? they have been out a while, yet there doesn't seem many reviews, especially on the longevity of the molle system, which frankly looks like it will fall to bits in a week.

I like the look and the idea, and would go nicely with my De-militarised loadout style.

Anyone any experience?

892638896_736.jpg

Also anyone know where I can get plain black HSGI TACO pouches? Preferably repro?

There are ACM Taco pouches, but I don't think they're very good. You'd still be looking at ~ £7 or so each IIRC.

Next best thing from HSGI would be Warrior's ones, but they come with unnecessarily long paracord so it really needs modifying, I could see it becoming annoying if you didn't. They also don't do them in black either.

• Supporters

Next best thing from HSGI would be Warrior's ones, but they come with unnecessarily long paracord so it really needs modifying, I could see it becoming annoying if you didn't.

It's because they're designed to take pretty much any mag type, the excess bungie is to allow for bigger stuff- better to have more and not need it that just enough for a stanag and nothing else

• Supporters

HSGI TACOs do come with more than enough bungee, certainly accomodate STANAGs, AK and 762 NATO mags; along with smoke nades, medium sized radios etc. The WAS copies are hugely excessive in that regard, at least the first gen ones I had were. You'd have to be trying to store an M82 mag inside one to need the amount of spare cord they supplied, really weird considering they could save themselves some cash there without actually hindering the product. Of course they might've changed their procedures at the factory by now.

Can't say I've seen any long terms reports of the longevity of the ACM interpretation on the 6/12 system. It's great when done right but it requires proper radii in the corners to minimise the potential for tears and for the nylon to be laminated with another layer of material (velcro in order to actually work with 6/12 pouches). How the lower end chinese producers will manage that I'm not sure, the short reviews/impressions I've seen seem to indicate they're alright, but I've not heard from anyone who owns both the FirstSpear and the clone rig to compare.

If it turns out nobody at all on here does know I'd ask on Arnies, a few people there do own them ( Apologies to the admins for 'sending business away' but I'm sure you're all more concerned about players getting the info they need as the main priority).

• Supporters

Friend of mine used one of these last weekend, to alleviate the risk of the molle tearing (he reckons it'll rip like toilet paper if you mount so much as a pistol pouch on it!) he's clipped on a D3 chest rig. Carries everything he needs, the carrier itself seems sturdy enough, but he's only skirmished it once so there's not been a lot of stress testing on the plastic parts, which did feel kinda cheap.

• Supporters

Interestingly, a lot of people thought the same sort of thing about the FS rigs when they first came out. I've discovered after more than a fair bit of testing on my original Strandhogg that that just isn't the case. However people are just really conditioned in to seeing those slots and assuming they're as soft and weak as (like you say) some very thin sort of paper. Everyone's just so accustomed to all those webbing strips and heavy duty bar-tack stitching it seems alien to manufacture something with is sort of a negative image as it were.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.