10 Long days

Frosty0769

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Im on the countdown now 10 more days then my two months are up and I can stop renting and buy my RIF.

Not sure I'll make it without cracking up.

Still looking to get a G&G 416 (T4-18) but the WE Scar keeps flirting with me. Then there's the side arm. Do I go pistol, short shotgun on machine pistol. I've been brooding over this for too long it seems.

I'm far too impulsive so I'm happy the law has made me have to wait so I know I want to do this long term.

Some sites have CQB rules about 'pistols only' in certain areas (for example the stairs and landings at Trojan in Stockport, no grenades on these area either), so if you are only going to have two weapons, ensuring one of them is a pistol will not leave you at a disadvantage if you skirmish at a CQB which enforces such a rule.

Note that when you fill out your UKARA form, get all stamped up at the site you did your three events at etc, you have to send it off and then await processing, so it doesn't happen instantaneously, thus it may turn out to be slightly longer than 10 days. Not what you probably want to hear, but as well to be aware of a slight delay potentially occurring.

• Supporters

Honestly, don't spend your money on a sidearm yet: there are things out of which you will get far more use. Buy a spare battery, spare midcaps, webbing, kneepads, elbow pads, better gloves (join the holy-grail-esque quest for waterproof, thornproof, warm yet easy to feel through), maybe try a different type of eyepro and/or lower face mask or try a full face alternative...

Some sites have CQB rules about 'pistols only' in certain areas (for example the stairs and landings at Trojan in Stockport, no grenades on these area either), so if you are only going to have two weapons, ensuring one of them is a pistol will not leave you at a disadvantage if you skirmish at a CQB which enforces such a rule.

Note that when you fill out your UKARA form, get all stamped up at the site you did your three events at etc, you have to send it off and then await processing, so it doesn't happen instantaneously, thus it may turn out to be slightly longer than 10 days. Not what you probably want to hear, but as well to be aware of a slight delay potentially occurring.

That really depends i took my UKARA paperwork into the store with me, they processed it and sold to me there and then.

True enough if you haven't sent it off and aren't mail ordering. In fact, even without mentioning UKARA at all, the site I regularly go to has a shop, but there's no way they'd be asking me for a UKARA number if I wanted to buy something from there, because they know i've been there three times in the last two months and they know I'm buying it to use for skirmishing simply by virtue of me being seen there and my name being in their booking register. This may be the case for Frosty too, let's hope so if he is counting the days. UKARA is convenient for mail ordering, but it ain't the law.

Go with the We SCAR, while I don't know if its any good it can't be as bad as the T4-18 gen 3. My T418 has been nothing but problems (which I have mentioned quite a few times). Its poorly made from bad parts and ultimately should be a avoided in my opinion. The externals don't look all that great and its seriously front heavy due to the massive free float rail system on the front. The scar is a bit better designed than the 416.

As to the secondary I would go for a GBB pistol. I would get one I think they are worth it. Many people avoid buying them and rarely switch to them but I have had my primary go down quite a few times now and the secondary has proved essential. I use it in CQB a lot and its a lot easier to stay alive using the pistol instead of the rifle in close quarters. I don't always take the pistol with me, if the game isn't going to end up in CQB I don't take it out because its not worth the weight but I do use it for what its good for. In woodland I use it less but I have switched to it before when my primary got jammed and managed to be useful but I try to avoid taking the weight when its really not going to help me.

Well, generally the G&G is a great gun, candle has had a lot of problems with his, however a lot of people say it is good. Some or good some are bad, pick of the draw I guess.

Guessing you mean AEG scar? If so, people seem to recommend the VFC or TM recoil over the WE, and yes they might be more expensive but are much better apparently. The G&G scar is also really good, talk to captain dumbass about his. One problems is the fps is a bit hot (something like 400 lol) but techs can sort that out if you don't feel like it, but thats about £100 more expensive then.

Get mags first, good eye protection, a tac vest of some description, good gear, nice boots and then look at a gbb pistol. They are great fun to use, and Tm seems to be the king in this sector however WE aren't bad so I'm told. personally I would get everything sorted (bearing in mind battery and charger will be like £50 if you are buying a good one and then £60 for a spare, or maybe 70)

Pistols aren't essential in woodland, in cqb they are nice but then again, you can live without. They are very fun to use, but also harder in a way, and also to maintain. Make sure you don't go cheap on them. I bought a HFC glock off a mate, who only used it a few times and it is absolute mayhem, doesn't work half the time and is more hassle than it's worth for me, in fact I am going to sell it off to another mate lol.

so yeah TL;DR probably best to buy gear first and maybe save up for G&G, VFC or TM recoil scar.

I'm alright for gear just need some knee pads (I'm not as young as I used to be) and gloves. Got most of my surplus stuff off of eBay. It's just the guns and accessories that go with them as you've all mentioned above that I need.

My site is a dense woodland setting either various settings and objectives one of which is a large single shot CQB area. A side arm is not a must have but I will look to get one.

• Supporters

Hatch Centurion = the kneepads of champions!

i like having a pistol. the CO2 is my preferred choice even though its the most expensive to use and holds the least ammo out of the 3. it is my highest fps and ranging weapon though and on sunday i went on a woodland game with 2 pistols for the sheer hell of it and i killed the guy who got my mate with his AEG. do not underestimate pistols because there are some good ones out there with good performance straight out of the box. its even better with 0.25s which i also tried for the first time on sunday which improved range and accuracy

there is also the fact that IF you fancy trying a game as sniper then you may need a pistol as a sidearm. the site i play at has this rule in place. no pistol = no sniping!

• Supporters

Yeah, there are plenty of good arguments for pistols and sidearms in general, not least of which is that they are a laugh, but winter is coming [make your own GOT joke] and when you're getting hit because you don't want to crawl into a muddy puddle* for cover, good kneepads and gloves will prove a far more useful expenditure than shits and giggles.

*Edit to add: which is also why you should resist the apparent 'cool' of modern looking trousers with built in kneepads in favour of old skool fat ones - they lift your knees higher out of muck/puddles preventing water absorbing into the fabric of your kecks and bugging you all day. I mean yeah, nobody wants to admit to any degree of wimpishness, but damp kecks on a cold day are only marginally less irritating than wet feet...

these are brilliant. i never have to adjust them on a game day and if you have different styles of loadout then wear them under your trousers. soft so very comfortable but they do the job

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Web-Tex-Camo-Knee-Pads-Hunting-Shooting-Army-Military-/400153793966?pt=UK_Sporting_Goods_Sports_Clothing_LE&hash=item5d2b0655ae

as for old skool kit, i could not find pre-CS95 at all when i first started looking for combats. knowing how think CS95 is and assuming that the MTP stuff is similiar, i wanted the old stuff for the thicker material but it just isnt easy to find. solution=multiple layers or waterproofs (which i havent bought yet) if you want to crawl around. of course it depends on each individual and how much getting cold and wet bothers them. it it really bothers you then go with waterproofs but get opinions first. goretex is quieter than its predecessor but it still makes a noise. there are quieter waterproofs around but i dont know what they are. we have a guy who always wears waterproofs and they are no noiser than conventional clothing but i have no idea what it is.

• Supporters

This is what i'm on about:

n7dx.jpg

...these Hatch Centurians have a ridge inside which helps prevent them slipping,

but for absolute surety add belt loops to the sides of your kecks so that the lower kneepad strap is supported. As you can see, I could kneel in 2 1/2" of muck without even noticing it.

Goretex kecks are good for times when you're pushing through wet foliage a lot. I have added belt loops to mine, because my arse isn't big enough to keep them up without a belt and experience has shown that they slip out from under a belt without loops, which is a ballache if you are wearing drop leg platforms/holsters, dump pouches and/or kneepads.

IMAG1633.jpg

...they do rustle a bit, but so does foliage when you push through it.

If you want knee pads I do recommend you get built in ones. The separate knee pads I have seen people wearing all suffer the same issue, they slip over time and they get out of place. But you can get camo trousers with the pads either built in or spaces for pads to be added and held securely and this really is the best way to get knee pads. Its not a good way to try them to see if you want to use them but is a better solution so long as the trousers and knee pads line up properly for you.

Too much choice full stop really. Not enough time in my day for all this internet window shopping.

I've just been looking on e hobby Asia. Are they ok to use? I get all the deal with importing it's just knowing if they are trustworthy.

• Supporters

^^Yeah, they're fine.

Loops on your trousers, man. That is the way to prevent pads slipping, not wearing pads that barely work.

• 2 weeks later...

So I got my UKARA stamped, went to Pro Airsoft Supplies yesterday and am now the owner of a G&G T4-18 gen2. Very much looking forward to Saturday.

I also have a LiPo and charger. Roughly how long will it take to charge as I know you shouldn't leave them too long and need to plan ahead?

Depends on the size of the battery and the charge rate of the charger. If it's a smart charger, it should stop automatically when the lipo is charged.

• Supporters

If you have a proper balancing charger, which you need for LiPo's, it will stop automatically when the battery is charged.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.