Two Tone

JB72510

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I think I might be losing my mind, my mate bought a two tone combat machine CM16 Raider which is half green and I actually quite like it....

so much so I might buy a two tone gun despite the fact I have ukara.....

Anyone else agree on two tone??!!

I'm not sure about strict two tone... But I like bright colours. I almost got a "harvest moon" 15-22 not long back... That's mainly bright orange. The platinum purple also got a serious look... Nothing wrong with a splash of colour.

I don't like to break the camouflage with a bright coloured gun. I have found multiple times in woodland its really hard to spot people who are using it well. I might not be using it well but I am quite certain a pink gun is going to stand out a little more than a black one. They can look good, I am certainly considering a two tone pistol (tan and black) but my style would be impacted by the bright colour.

I like the tan and black aswell, just wondering if it can be done on the glock 18c ??

I have a 2 tone m4 at the moment but once I got my ukara I'll respray the green bits a bit darker green, I do quite like the 2 tone look but not in such bright colours

I know it can be done but I just dont fancy having to respray the whole thing, just the slide and the pistol grip

I want the tan and black on my m4 :) spray the outer barrel and the body tan with the hand gaurd and stock being black

As far as two tone colours go, there are some that look good and some that are shyte:

Decent colours that won't make you look like a bellend:

Red (striped is even better)

Purple

Colours that make you look like a twat:

JBBG orange

Airsoft world green

Wolfarmouries blue

When I bought my A&K SVD Dragunov, it had a green stock and foregrip (doesn't have that colour scheme any more, since I've modified it quite a lot), but I thought it looked kind of okay in those two tone colours when it arrived and I unboxed it.

• Supporters

You'll be loving your two tone right up until they call game on which will be swiftly followed by opposition shouting.

"ORANGE Gun front, two to his left and 1 to his right!"

Swiftly followed by all four of you getting lit up. I found at the site I used to play the two tone players would get very frustrated they couldn't get very close to us without being spotted but didn't seem to understand that their bright orange/green gun was causing us to have something similar to predator vision!

But its your money, if you love it go for it. I personally wouldn't. And I don't mock people who have two tone, anyone who does is a bit of a d!ck IMO. But there is a reality and that is that Orange and Lime green are not naturally occurring colours in the British country side. So even with the best camo in the world the gun will stick out like a sore thumb even if you are camo'd up perfectly.

At GZ this year there was a guy with a two tone HFC Bar 10 in luminous orange, running about in a ghillie suit. Totally pointless IMHO as you could spot a floating orange gun wandering about from well over his maximum range.

• Supporters

I'm not so much angry as disappointed.

• Supporters

I personally think that 2-tone is entirely a money making scheme for retailers and damages the sport as a whole in the long run.

The whole reason for the specific defence against the VCRA given to skirmishing was for realism. If someone in Parliament wants to score some easy 'hard on gun crime' points all they need to do is repeal that defence. We as airsofters realistically at that point aren't going to have a leg to stand on as every weekend thousands of people go out and play with 2-tones.

Some of the darker sprayed blue two tone jobs you get can look alright, since that darker blue hints at 'blued' metal even if it doesn't look exactly like blued steel. But as NickM says, even something quite subdued like that dark blue is not very well camouflaged in terms of colours, and that will attract the eyes of your enemies and probably make you a bullet magnet, which in turn will probably mean nobody will want to be in the same foxhole as you. Nevertheless, technically, even bright colours still work as camouflage in making accurate range estimates less easy to achieve, the other point of camouflage being to break up shapes in order make range estimates trickier to determine, so even a bright disruptive pattern could hinder a sniper a little bit so long as your outfit was also helping to break up your outline, but at typical AEG and pistol ranges, the rangefinding confusion aspect of camo patterns probably wouldn't help much. Still, you only have to look at German WW1 daylight fighter plane lozenge camouflage - vierfarbiger buntfarbenanstrich - to know that bright colours do still work okay as camo.

Of course camo serves another purpose too, which is somewhat at odds with its main purpose, and that's to help friendlies identify one another as belonging to the same side. There's little doubt that a bright two tone weapon which everyone on your side saw you with in the safe area before the skirmish is going to keep you pretty safe from friendly fire.

And whilst on the subject of WW1 camo, let's not forget that the two highest-scoring flying aces of WW1 (Manfred Von Richthofen and Ernst Udet), both painted over their already fairly gaudy lozenge coloured aeroplanes, to end up with bright red fighter planes. They didn't give a crap about not being seen, they wanted people to come and fight them. Udet even had the cocky taunt, 'Du doch nicht!' painted on the tailplane of his aeroplane so that his enemies could read it during a dogfight!

Then of course you have night skirmishes, where even a bright orange gun would probably be okay. In fact, I was using a two tone gun last night in a dark CQB, to no disadvantage at all.

• Supporters

Then there is the what look you want question to consider, not every airsofter wants a realistic military rig, a friend and i have considered sci-fi rigs then the bright colours could look really cool.

And you could also look like two people with cool looking sci-fi loadouts carrying stupid looking guns.

Then there is the what look you want question to consider, not every airsofter wants a realistic military rig, a friend and i have considered sci-fi rigs then the bright colours could look really cool.

Not sure I agree that the bog standard oranges greens and blues of two toning fit this scenario. I'm all with you on sic-fi rigs potentially being cool, for example, quite a few people have done the Aliens 'Colonial Marine' look, which coupled with the Snow Wolf Pulse Rifle, is indeed very cool, but nobody's gonna want that pulse rifle in bright orange or blue. In fact I can't think of any well-known sci-fi film or book or comic I'd want to emulate where the weaponry is colours even remotely resembling the typical UK two-tone. It'd have to be some sort of Barbarella-esque campy fifties/sixties sci-fi to even be near having those colours suit the intent.

• Supporters

^^Actually somewhere in the UK was selling the M41A pulse rifle in bright blue. I refuse to even look for it. In fact, if people reading this disbelieve me, on the grounds that nobody could possibly have such unmitigated horrendous taste, then that's all to the good. It is mentioned in our annals though possibly with its own thread... :puke:

To be fair, as nice as the Pulse Rifle is, I think most people buy them as a 'wall hanger' rather than as something they'd regularly skirmish with (for one thing it doesn't have a sight, and for another, it only has a 99 round mag capacity, also, the grenade launcher is dummy, which, cool as it is, means it is bulky and impractical for proper skirmishing). So of those people, I reckon most would probably paint it up to replicate the worn look of the ones in the movie and simply be happy to have it. That being the case, one which was blue would not be a problem if the buyer wanted to 'prop it up' with some painting. Although I do agree, in blue it would be bordering on criminally poor taste. Personally, I'm such a fan of the Aliens film, I even bought part of the set of the Sulaco from the actual movie. I find that bit of the set is a great way to gauge people when they see it at my house; if they say 'wow, that's cool' I know I'll probably get on with them, but if they say 'you paid how much for that! Why on earth would you waste money on that?' then I know they just don't get it, and I'll probably have to nuke them from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

• Supporters

What part of the set?

Personally I'd like to get my hands on the particle beam failers from the drop ship, just so I could call them puppies, pretty much for the same reason you mentioned.

One of these days I'm going to get one of those kits, build a red dot sight on which the window flips up from a flat position, MBUS stylee & ting, and turn the nade launcher into a gas shottie. Oh and make a bunch of spare mags. And maybe add some kind of sound system to replicate the firing sound... :)

What part of the set?

A bit of the floor of the 'Sulaco' loading bay, where in the movie, they do the briefing and the prep and all that stuff before the drop ship launches. Pic of a similar tile can be seen here:

http://www.thepropgallery.com/sulaco-1-1-scale-floor-tile

These used to be widely available years ago, because obviously they had to make enough of them to cover the entire set of Sulaco's floor, but I should think they'd be harder to find these days, as they were rapidly snapped up by fans of the Aliens movie, since they are a nice display item.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.