Sniper role - is this sidearm any good?

ronin677

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Well as the title implies I am after a sidearm to compliment my new role as a sniper. I got caught out at my last game when someone got within the minimum distance for my rifle and I had no way to defend myself.

I don't want to spend mega bucks on a weapon that won't see much use and wondered if this was adequate. Bear in mind that the minimum engagement distance at my site is 20m for snipers rifles so this pistol only has to engage up to 20m

http://www.patrolbase.co.uk/airsoft-pistols/asg-glock-18c-electric-airsoft-pistol.htm#.VCr57mddUud

cheers guys

I've heard a lot of people say they're good. You really need a custom LiPo for it though, which would be another £15. Those batteries aren't even available anymore. For the money I'd still recommend a GBB though (something around £80-£90 mark like a WE Glock)

A mate of mine had one of these. His opinion of it wasn't all the good and that was before he owned any gbb sidearms.

A good idea would be to get a good gbb pistol.

Personal recommendations would be:

TM FN 5-7

TM Sig P226

WE Sig P226

TM Glock series

Can only recommend these as I or members of my team have used them and had good performance as side arms and also in cold weather which we are fast approaching. As M_P says, you will probably be using them more than your actual sniper rifle so a reliable sidearm is a must!

Maybe I'm just lucky, but my WE Glock hasn't failed on me once, neither in rain, snow or hail; It just keeps on going. The only issue I've had with it is when I broke the plastic tip which pushes up the BBs because the mag release button does not resist well against my drop leg holster, but the problem was easily fixed with a bit of glue, although it was still usable when it was broken, it just took longer to reload the mag.

Nice-looking TM 1911 for not a lot further down the page. #justsaying

WE Bulldog PX4s are compact and light. Might be a good idea for a sniper's loadout if you want to save on weight.

On a slight tangent, are these any good? I've handled one and I absolutely loved it, I just don't know anything about their performance/reliability.

• Supporters

WE Bulldog PX4s are compact and light. Might be a good idea for a sniper's loadout if you want to save on weight.

On a slight tangent, are these any good? I've handled one and I absolutely loved it, I just don't know anything about their performance/reliability.

Pretty good, nothing special. I think PX4s are girl's guns but that's subjective :lol:

am I correct in thinking that the gun in the original post is a rebranded cm.030?

Looks like it... and the cm.030 is in turn a copy of the Tokyo Marui G18c.

And you don't need LiPos for them - the little battery that comes with the gun is good enough - I have the TM G18c with a couple of extra mags and batteries... most excellent little gun, especially for CQB; don't underestimate the power of the AEP :)

If you are in position on your own, i.e. nobody to support you if the bad guys close in on you, then you might want to consider a machine pistol with a high cap mag rather than a hand pistol. But if you do get a pistol, it looks like in choosing an electric pistol that you are sensibly factoring in that we're coming up on winter, where a GBB might not be the best choice as the temperature drops. Since you will be reliant upon that pistol, I'd spend a little bit more cash and get something that you know is very good. I personally really like the more realistic aspects of GBB pistols and have a 1911 for that reason (I do also have an electric Glock), but in your position I'd be inclined to go electric (at least if buying right now and expecting to skirmish in the coming colder months), but in practical terms, I'd go with an AEG MP5K, a shorty AK-47, or chopped down CQB M4, rather than a pistol, because you may have to fend of an entire fire team closing in on you, on your own, and I would't fancy doing that with a single shot 20 round mag pistol. And you evidently know from your previous personal experience, that weapon is going to see some use, probably more us than you might like, being a sniper by preference.

I have the glock 18c, a great side arm which got me out of a few close calls :) I'd say go for this pistol

The lipo conversion is easy (how to videos on YouTube) but I've got experience doing such things

I have 3x 300mah, 7.4v lipos and they fit great inside the top slide

I have used this pistol for over a year and its never let me down.

If you setup the hop just right it does get a good distance.

• Supporters

For the same role I bought a JG Vz61 Skorpion, which is the same gearbox, motor and battery as these - I wasn't happy with the trigger response, but converting to 7.4V LiPo and Gate Pico AB MOSFET took care of that. TBH I think it'd have been OK with just the LiPo, but while I had it open I thought I may as well put the FET in.

I have a PDI barrel in it also (basically because x-fire.org were having a free postage sale so I thought may as well), but that has made it so good that i've also ordered a full set of SHS gears for it, Kanzen bearings, and a magnesium alloy piston & 130% spring, so basically it should end up being good to go as a primary for CQB and allow me to drop my SVD and get forward if/when the team needs a bit of 'lead by example'.

Although I have also recently bought a PP-19 Bizon II which I am hoping will work as sniper back up - 160rnd midcap fitted and 1 spare in a belt pouch / should be good even though it isn't lightweight. I agree with Chock that looking into SMG's may be a better way forward than a pistol, but then again, if you get a few spare mags, having no choice but to rely on the pistol and changing mags under pressure could well lead to some exciting skirmish moments...

Looks like it... and the cm.030 is in turn a copy of the Tokyo Marui G18c.

And you don't need LiPos for them - the little battery that comes with the gun is good enough - I have the TM G18c with a couple of extra mags and batteries... most excellent little gun, especially for CQB; don't underestimate the power of the AEP :)

Sure is. Thou I do prefer the TM over the CYMA (and that is rare), just have a better feel to it (even rarer).

Saying that the cm030 is very praised and I never heard anyone put it down, other than on it being an AEP or saying that it needs lipo.

I think a great advantage, atleast if you're a sniper is that it's so low power, you never will have to worry about fps limit.

I have three 'standard' magazines for my G18C AEP as well as three 100 round magazines... ideal for when I want to play silly sods at CQB ;)

lulz!

Thou made me think of a disadvantage on it... the mags are tiny in size and kind of hard to store securely on your person. Was thinking of maybe making custom elastic pockets for them.....

my brother puts a rock in his pistol mag pouch and jams the mag in to give it some friction.

• 2 weeks later...

Mk23 MK23 MK23 MK23.

Yeah you want an mk23. They really are the best sniper sidearm you can get. There are loads of reviewa out there. I have a y&p one. Not as good as the tm but it is epic still and it is basically silent and very good on gas!

In short, forget everything else and get an mk23.

Bullet

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.