GBB pistol as a primary, newbie questions

DannyG35764

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hello, I have a couple of questions regarding Gas blow back pistols. I really like pistols and I am thinking of doing a pistol only loadout rather than go for an AEG. For My first question I would like to know if 'pistol only' loadouts are normal and legitimate (will I get laughed at). Secondly what are the pros and cons of GBB pistols. I am thinking of getting a KWC M9 full metal GBB and the KWC full auto version as a secondary. Any help will be Mich appreciated. Thanks in advance :)

I use pistol only quite a bit... The limitations can be overcome with decent field craft and planning. Even with some theatricality... You might not have the range or accuracy to make a dent in a defended building... But taking your time to move around to a slightly blind position, then running to the open door, shouting "coming in lads, what we got?" should get you close enough to silence a room and get your foothold...

Before now, I've had small conversations with opposition before shooting...

For the weapons... I'd only use tokyo marui pistols. Gas or electric.

It depends where you're going to play. Sometimes I only take my pistol out if it's a game that requires collecting tennis balls. However, I only have 1 mag for it so I have to bring my speed loader.

TM pistols are exactly the opposite of that. They're extremely reliable and very good quality. They have very good performance too. Same applies to their rifles. Marui hop units give great range and accuracy which other companies don't come close to without upgrading (as they have never been able to properly replicate the Marui design)

• Supporters

Thanks for feedback guys, I've heard tokyo marui pistols can break easily but heard great things boat KWA.

Absolute crap. Where did you hear this?

My Marui Glock 17 and M1911 were the most accurate an reliable gbb pistols I've owned, the only downside to the Marui 1911 was the gas efficiency.

yep, the american's seem to think that because it is metal it is better, although most of them use TM's now. KWA seem to be pretty rare over here, whereas in 'MERICA TM's aren't that common (according to some of the USA forums).

TM's are more gas efficient, more accurate, and I do remember M_P saying that even though the KWA is metal, it feels more like a toy, but ask him for details.

Nothing at all wrong with a pistol only loadout. I've seen loads of people do it at CQB sites, and done it myself. You won't get laughed at, not by anone, especially when you zap them whilst they are fumbling with their M4 in a tight doorway.

However, since you are going to use semi-auto GBB pistols as primary weapons, I would consider adding two other things to your set up: a decent rubber combat knife in a sheath where you can get it out quickly, so that you can throw it (assuming the site permits this), and a decent small full auto weapon as a back up on a single point sling, something like the Well G55 H&K MP5K GBB, so that you've got something that can really spit out rounds if you need to. You can get that G55 from most places for less than a ton, so it certainly won't break the bank, and it is amazing, pretty solid build quality too, although I'd recommend getting some of the higher capacity mags for it, as it only comes with a 20 round mag, and at its ROF fire (an unbelivable 1,600 rounds per minute, which is actually nearly 400 rpm faster than that bonkers M-134 Minigun which Jesse Ventura is toting in the movie Predator), the 20 round mag will be empty in less than a second on full auto, but in a tight spot it will save your ass, because when people hear the rate of fire that thing is doing, you can bet you're ass they will back up around that corner lol. If on the other hand you are concerned about GBB performance in low ambient temperatures and want to mix GBB with AEG, and have more ammo, then you could also consider either the JG or CYMA MP5Ks, both of which are AEGs with a larger capacity mag. They can be had for around 130 quid, but they don't have the insane ROF that the Well one brings to the party, which you might find is better or worse depending on you preference. Either way, a small full auto back up weapon on a sling will be a good idea alongside your twin pistols.

Be sure to get some decent holsters that you can stow and retrieve your weapons from quickly, and make sure at least one of your pistols has a tac light on it, or at a push you can stow one pistol and use a light in your free hand. something on your belt to carry a small gas can and a speed loader might help too, as unless you're going to carry a ton of mags, since you may need to reload and regass a mag in game if your pistol mags are typical of most GBB pistols, i.e. about 20 rounds.

I googled it and I came to conclusion kwa were the better make. Mind u I would rather take the views of experienced players :)

yep, the american's seem to think that because it is metal it is better, although most of them use TM's now. KWA seem to be pretty rare over here, whereas in 'MERICA TM's aren't that common (according to some of the USA forums).

TM's are more gas efficient, more accurate, and I do remember M_P saying that even though the KWA is metal, it feels more like a toy, but ask him for details.

Let me make an educated example..

I have a Tokyo Marui, completely plastic P226, whereas my friend in my squad has a KWA full metal P229. Both have a 26 round magazine and both fire around the 280 - 300 mark.

Yesterday I was at Battlegrounds, Aberdeen. It was fairly cold when we first started at 9 in the morning, maybe 11°c. His full metal KWA P229's magazine gassed out after 13 rounds where as the my all plastic TM P226 went though the whole 26 rounds and still locked the slide back. Second magazine in, his KWA P229 started releasing gas like crazy after a few shots, my TM P226 was still normal.

At the end of my little observations, I also realised my gun drastically outranged his. Both using 0.23g bb's. Okay, I admit, metal sounds meaner with more clicks and clangs but my Tokyo Marui is a quick, clean, crisp sound. I wouldn't compromise the sound of a gun for performance.

Well looks like the evidence against kwa and in favor of TM is building up lol I'm gnna check out some TM guns tnite. My idea was to have one decent reliable pistol with 3 spare mags and a full auto pistol/SMG for back up. Thanks for all the feedback people. Glad to know I'm not gonna look silly with jus pistols :P

something like the Well G55 H&K MP5K GBB

What's the point in going pistol only if you're going to lug around an SMG as well? Surely that defeats the advantages of going pistol only in the first place?

Plus any Well weapons are piles of shite, I've seen many many of them break at skirmishes.

The CYMA MP5s are much better (I had one myself) but the gearbox screech is extremely loud as they tend to need some AOE correction and internal TLC. If this isn't done then you'll just give yourself away with a weapon which is much louder than better quality AEGs.

I'd suggest OP gets a KWA Mac11 with the NS2 system if he wants a full auto backup. It's one of the better KWA models (notably better than their pistols from what I've heard) and brings lots of firepower to the table- however again we reach the point above- why go pistol only for a 'light' loadout when you'll be carrying a Mac 11 around, with it's mags?

KWA's are said to be the best because they're widely available in the US. On the other hand Tokyo Marui pistols aren't. They don't get imported into the US, and most people don't order from overseas (after all, they don't need to for anything else and things are cheap enough there to not warrant buying from abroad)

I'd say if you couldn't get a TM, KWA would be the next best option, but get a Marui and you won't regret it.

What's the point in going pistol only if you're going to lug around an SMG as well? Surely that defeats the advantages of going pistol only in the first place?

Plus any Well weapons are piles of shite, I've seen many many of them break at skirmishes.

The CYMA MP5s are much better (I had one myself) but the gearbox screech is extremely loud as they tend to need some AOE correction and internal TLC. If this isn't done then you'll just give yourself away with a weapon which is much louder than better quality AEGs.

I'd suggest OP gets a KWA Mac11 with the NS2 system if he wants a full auto backup. It's one of the better KWA models (notably better than their pistols from what I've heard) and brings lots of firepower to the table- however again we reach the point above- why go pistol only for a 'light' loadout when you'll be carrying a Mac 11 around, with it's mags?

Yea guess your right there, jus looking into what people are saying rele. I do like the m9s and the m1911s, so probs go with one of each. One thing I have noticed online is that they do have relatively low fps in comparison to other brands. Is this a bad thing?

You are aware what the letters 'P' and the 'K' in the name 'MP5K' actually stand for aren't you? Pistole (pistol, obviously) and Kurz (short, like the K in Walther PPK, i.e. not that big and intended to be carried about without hassle). The real MP5K weighs only 4.5 lbs (airsoft version is about 3lbs). The MP5K is often called 'the room broom', for obvious reasons, in fact, the A1 variant of the MP5K was produced with no bulky iron sights to allow it to be quick drawn from a holster, but that low weight means it can equally be slung from a 1 point harness sling or attached to drop line from a tac vest, either of which is simple to do since it has a swivel in place of the stock. Doing so still gives one a light loadout but the ability to go a bit heavier if you come up against something a semi-auto pistol cannot engage with quite so well (assuming your pistols are not capable of full auto). Anyway, the point is that carrying an MP5K, or something similar, is to not be sacrificing some flexibility by omly having small single shot pistols, but still be lightly loaded. There's no need to carry tons of MP5K mags, it's a back up.

As for the Well MP5K being 'shite' as you delightfully put it, whilst I agree that many Well airsoft weapons are not that great, one or two of them are reasonably decent in my experience, notably two that I've got, the D69 and the G55. They have the virtue of being fairly inexpensive, because they are of course built to a price point, but in spite of that not-very-reassuring low price, I've not had any problems with either of those two weapons. Dissapointingly, the D69 is fairly lightweight plastic, so I wouldn't want to leap about all over the place with it, but it is quite a good-looking WW2-era carbine that can do full auto, I painted mine up with a passable battered fake wood look using a combination of acryllic and flat enamel and varnished it with clear matt, so it actually looks a lot better than they do out of the box and I keep it as a reserve for if one of my other guns conks out at a skirmish. Piccy of the paint job on my D69:

D69paintjob_zps8b967ea5.jpg

The G55 is actually a clone of the Maruzen MP5, but of course not being made in Japan, it can have a lot more metal parts in it than Japanese airsoft weapons are allowed by law, so it's actually a bit better build quality than the Maruzen one in some places, not to mention that with the benefit of hindsight, they were able to improve on flaws in the Maruzen MP5, although most parts are compatible between the two. If there is a fault at all with Well stuff, it's that the magazines, which can often be hard to locate (still can't find a spare for that D69) and that their GBB ones can sometimes have shonky valves (as do the Maruzen ones), but it's actually not that difficult to fix the valve issue.

I bought my G55 specifically for use as a back up for when doing dual pistols as mains in CQB incidentally.

I'm aware your original post specified an MP5K- and I still stand by my point. It's extra weight that would not be necessary for a pistol only loadout, and to top it the weapon is made of poor plastic that may not handle knocks and bangs of CQB. I've seen people accidentally drop weapons down stairwells in CQB, and the Well MP5K probably wouldn't handle that sort of treatment.

As well as this, if you put the weapon on a 1 point sling and kept it by your side as you moved with pistols in both hands, it would flop around a fair bit- I'm sure there are holsters out there for it, but then it's even more unnecessary expenditure on a backup which will just slow you down in CQB.

If you do come against something heavy in a skirmish, you probably wouldn't be aware of it's existence in CQB until too late- and in woodland you could leave a support gunner or hi cap spraying skirmisher to your better-armed team mates. And even then, you could still potentially 'kill' the support gunner through quick movement or moving to a position where they cannot engage you effectively.

I still think it's pointless taking a 3rd weapon into battle on your person while playing in a role which requires lightness and quick movement. Sure, the Well won't weigh a lot, but combine it with the weight of your rig, the 2 pistols, all their mags, speed loaders, gas, holsters etc- it adds on unnecessary weight.

I heard the galaxy mp5 is actually alright, cheap and cheerful, but don't hold me to it. Someone on arnies airsoft mentioned something about them lasting ages and with quite good performance, especially the price ( I think )

If you must be strictly pistol... Get an aep. Full auto, 100 round mags, full pistol.

I am personally planning on sporting a tiny ares amoeba m4 with 3 hi cap mags... Something to lay down some serious fire if needed... But I plan on keeping it purely as a secondary to make sure I don't forgo team firepower on a personal whim. Playing with a pistol for the next 6 months will greatly improve my skills, then I can alternate at will. After I can get good with a pistol... Or more to the point, with better field craft... It will be time to get a mk23 and make a proper silencer... Then it gets fun...

the only kill i got today was with my CO2 pistol. i left the AEG in the car for one game and i actually preferred it apart from the lack of ammo. i went out with that pistol and my desert eagle AEP which couldnt touch the range of the 1911 but neither does my AEG. using 0.25s made it even better and the accuracy was spot on with slightly heavier bbs

i would suggest trying it and see how you get on. even if you hire an AEG for the day, you still have the option to leave the hire gun behind

post-9196-0-96567200-1411939566_thumb.jpg

Pistols only works well for CQB. It is very limiting for woodland. I would suggest that you go for it but plan on getting an AEG long term as it will open up more possibilities.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.