Franchi SAS Shotgun Mods?

SpekP

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi all,

So I have a Franchi SAS tri-shot and was wondering if anyone had any mods I could do to beef it up a bit. Especially if anyone knows how to replace the spring to increase the range (as you can guess I'm new to modifying and to most things airsoft past pointing the gun and pulling the trigger :P ).

Thanks all - the link is too the gun itself, it's almost identicle to the Tokyo Marui M3.

SpekP

http://www.airsoftworld.net/franchi-sas-12-cqb-triple-barelled-shotgun.html

Damn thats a shame, and I was under the impression that if I imputted a more powerful spring the FPS and range would increase. Its the only real problem I have with this gun :/

I had read somewhere that standard AEG springs would work but I'm reluctant to dissasemble the gun - as you said it isn't meant to be dissasembled and upgraded.

I just found the forum that I read it in and he just used a slightly shorter spring using a '2 spring module'? He says he got 20% more range and power with it. No idea where I got AEG size from...?

Because as cheap as it is it is surprisingly good, I get loads of kills at the open field map where I play and the only thing that lets me down is the lack of range. Marshalls and other players come up too me often and ask whether it is the Tokyo Marui M3 which they own - and costs about £140 - cause it looks, works and is practically the same in all the speks. I'm not going crazy on it but for what I payed for it it is a briliant gun which I want to work with :).

You can try heavier ammo for a slight range increase. As others have said, these guns are not really designed for modding. You may put stronger springs in it, then the gun may destroy itself under the extra pressure or you might find it impossible to cock.

Firstly thanks for all the help :D the rail looks sweet as and I was considering a slanted grip, and I want to increase the range because I play in an open field map where the majority of the place is open with a few structures to use as cover - because of this I'm put at a huge disadvantage when in combat against any AEG or Sniper asI've got to be well within their range to even consider getting a shot to make contact.

After a bit of research. If the internals is identical to the TM m3 then a stronger spring can be installed. However it seems these springs are hard to get. Take a look at this guide for more information.

I want to increase the range because I play in an open field map where the majority of the place is open with a few structures to use as cover - because of this I'm put at a huge disadvantage when in combat against any AEG or Sniper asI've got to be well within their range to even consider getting a shot to make contact.

You're sort of 'bringing a knife to a gunfight' there. Or as Corporal Hicks says in Aliens, of his shotgun: 'I like to keep this handy, for close encounters'. Beyond the obvious 'of the third kind' joke, it about says it all where combat shotguns are concerned, they're not really meant to compete with assault rifles, they're for CQB, breaching and occasionally get used as a grenade launcher (with a suitable attachment). Since two of those real world applications for shotguns in combat are not uses Airsoft shotguns have, you've only ticking one box in terms of practicality, and even then, you say it's not CQB, so it's doubtful you're even ticking one box in terms of practicality. Another reason, beyond combat utility, you don't see all soldiers carrying shotguns, is that slug ammo weighs about six times as much as standard Nato 5.56mm ammo. Of course that's not the case for airsoft, where we all shoot the same 6mm ammo, but if you like realism, then it's something to consider.

So if you are playing in an open air site, where CQB is not as likely as ranged combat, then why try to reinvent the wheel by altering a shotgun beyond it's obvious and practical purpose, when you can simply solve the problem by using something which is better suited to the fight.

You've got a good point there and right now I'm siting at my computer thinking "why AM I using a shotgun?" and honestly I don't have an answer past I prefere using shotguns and snipers to AEGs and seeing as I have 0 money at the moment (I'm still in A Levels and no body wants me for work D: ) this shutgun is somthing I'm trying to make the most of. Although I do have an Mp5 it's been playing up recently and I was never that great a shot with it, I was and am a much better shot with my Franchi. So yeah, it's stupid and impraticle but it's the best I can do :).

And Preston, thanks for the guide! This is apsolutly perfect, helped me out greatly :D.

Well, frankly, 'because I want to' is certainly a valid reason, you don't need any more justification than that really. I would never try to argue that it wasn't if someone had made that choice. Of course as you say, sometimes circumstances, or often finances available, dictate what we can and cannot do, so that being the case, go for it and try to beef it up. Just be aware that you might break it in trying to 'fix' it, and then you'd be really stuck.

Not that I'm an expert on shotguns anyway, I only have a cheap CYMA P799 M3 shotgun, which I think is meant to be a Benelli M3 or something similar, and frankly, it's never even been used, I just bought it on a whim years ago because it was cheap and I thought it might look good on the wall, although I did read recently that it's actually not a bad CQB weapon, apparently something like 230fps, which is good enough for short range where you don't wanna be hurting people with 350fps if you can avoid it (or at least I don't anyway), so I might give it a go one day.

Only thing worth doing is loading your shells with .25 gram BBs for the extra range and tighter groupings. Other than that just accessorise it externally to your hearts content.

That said, there are replacement loading nozzles available but it's not worth it since they cost as much as a new shotgun would.

Well thanks for understanding Chock and not pushing that I should give up on it or something like that because there really isn't any call for it, I'm defiantly going to try CQB - it sounds much better for my shotgun I just need to find a close enough site and work up the courage to try it :P. Right now I'm probably too nervous/new to this to try replacing the spring myself. If I do it'll probably be when I have enough money to repair it in case of any muck ups and even then I would practice on weapons that are actually designed to come apart and tune up.

For now I'll try larger BBs, like you said Happy .25s sound about right and hopefully they'll have some sort of noticeable effect. Thanks everyone for the help!

Don't worry about it too much - my first gun was a shotgun and I still had a lot of fun with it. Still run one as my main primary weapon to be fair. It can be used in woodland if it's dense enough but in open areas you'll not very effective at all.

having broke, dissembed and rebuilt my tm super 90 id advise against it. awkward as. and not much you can really do, other than spring(which will make pumping harder and the parts may not take the strain, i shattered mine as standard...) there was something i read about the pistol head things. its probably in this link about dissembly... regardless let us know how you get on....

http://www.airsoftretreat.com/reviews/showproduct.php?product=342

That is something that worries me, however at least it was only a cheap gun that I don't mind waiting to replace, I'll update when it is finished but it may not be for awhile - again money :/. It's always the money...

I've had my ASG Franchi to bits and it has 2 springs, one inside the other, they push on a tri plate that fires 3 barrels. If you don't have load of springs to play with and cut up it isn't worth bothering with. I put a cut down VSR spring inside a cut down AEG spring in mine and I can hit someone at up to 40m. It's now much harder to cock and still only does around 330fps so I'd say it was hardly worth the effort. It's been running like this for ages and hasn't broken. In winter I sometimes use it as a sniper backup.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.