Gun Problems

ghost85

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi Guys

I've been airsofting for about a year now, got my UKARA as soon as I started, loving the community (esp to those who don't cheat and call their hits). I have a SRC Gen 2 M4, had to change the hop-up bucking rubber recently but the main problem I am having is my gun shooting to the right after bout 30 metres away. adjusting the hop-up changes the angle a little. the gun served me well but its kinda out living my expectations right.

Has anyone got any idea wat it cud be and is it worth fixing or buying a new gun.

Sounds like when you changed the bucking you didn't align the barrel correctly so the hop up is working slightly off the vertical.

Sounds like when you changed the bucking you didn't align the barrel correctly so the hop up is working slightly off the vertical.

Beat me to it. I'd agree that's a likely cause. Probably causing a bit of sideways spin on the BB by either the hop or some other bit clipping the BB a little off the centreline.

It's definitely worth fixing, since it is more than likely just a case of sorting out the alignment by taking it to bits and carefully reassembling it, which should be easy enough, since as I recall, the SRC manual which comes with their guns are pretty good on that score. So even if you decide you want a fancier AEG or maybe a GBB, you'll at least have a pretty good back up weapon when it is sorted out.

As you probably know, SRCs aren't the very best AEGs in the world, as you'd expect with something which only costs just over a ton, but neither are they by any means the worst; in fact they are pretty good for the money and certainly good enough for skirmishing if you are happy with them in all other respects.

still shoots to the right with the hop-up winded right down. if I adjust the barrel wouldn't it jus shoot real high after wards.

I had a problem into my second skirmish with this gun where it was firing at 390fps, because it was my noob gun I had to get a new spring otherwise I couldn't play. regretting it now!!

If the barrel or chamber is misaligned in some way, the BB is likely to be fouling something as it passes along the barrel, i.e. clipping the side of the barrel. This would effectively do the same thing as the hop up does (i.e. brake the BB on one side and induce a spin on it) but on the side instead of on the top. When the BB spins, it causes the Magnus Effect:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnus_effect

So because of the fouling caused by the misalignment, the BB is generating a lift vector, but instead of the lift vector being vertical (which is what the hop up rubber induces, by putting backspin on the BB to give the BB a longer flight time by reducing the air pressure above the BB to generate lift), a sideways spin will reduce the air pressure on one side, and therefore pull the BB to the side, and as the velocity slows but the BB keeps spinning, the vector induced by the spin becomes more influential on the trajectory, which is why you are seeing it appear to veer off at longer ranges.

Thank you for your help guys, time to break out the toolkit

Make sure you have the gun dead level when you have tried aligning everything and are test-firing it, otherwise you might be fooled into thinking it is still curving the trajectory a bit. Doing that deliberately (tilting the gun), incidentally, is a way to offset a crosswind for long range shots, since the side spin counters the wind drift providing you tilt the gun the right way of course.

Ironically, that tilting the gun trick is one of the few occasions where holding a pistol (or rifle) in that dumb-ass sideways 'gangsta style' that you see in movies will actually achieve something, providing it is an airsoft gun. If it's a real one, the only likely effect it will have is to break your wrist :lol:

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.