leg holsters

Richie Boyle

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

i havent worn any other kind so i dont know the extent of the problem with regards to variety but does anyone else find it annoying when you are moving around and the holster flaps around with the weight of the pistol in it?

it really put me off carrying a side arm last time but hopefully i have helped alleviate the problem this week with some para cord. it seemed to work in my living room and while it may not be pretty up close, the cord is almost the exact same colour as the holster so it shouldnt be too obvious but hopefully practical. sunday will be the test out in the field

i thought about various ways but plan A is a bit of para cord tied to the leg strap on both sides going over the holster. that way it wont be too tight on my leg and is effectively pulling both sides of the holster to the strap rather than to my leg.

i have seen different types of non fabric holsters and while the 1911s shouldnt be difficult to accommodate, i cant see me getting one to fit the desert eagle. fortunately the holster suppolied with it has lots of places to tie the para cord and the colour is almost identical whereas the 1911 holster i got from ebay is DPM

• Supporters

Yeah, 99% of the time a drop-leg holster is a pretty bad solution to a problem that doesn't really exist.

Put it on your belt instead, if you find that it's too high then you can get a 2inch drop loop to lower it from the belt a bit so it doesn't interfere with chest rigs/plate carriers/clothing.

My experience is that you should wear a holster as high up towards your belt as you can get without interfering with the gear. That means in a lot of cases wearing it directly on the belt will be absolutely fine, not flap around and be a lot easier to use. But don't go any lower than you have to because the closer you get to the knee the more movement there is, the more restriction it will place on your movement and the more tiring it is to carry it.

• Supporters

My experience is that you should wear a holster as high up towards your belt as you can get without interfering with the gear. That means in a lot of cases wearing it directly on the belt will be absolutely fine, not flap around and be a lot easier to use. But don't go any lower than you have to because the closer you get to the knee the more movement there is, the more restriction it will place on your movement and the more tiring it is to carry it.

Exactly what the vid says!

Don't really like them myself. After using a Viper drop leg and Blackhawk Serpa, I'd take the Serpa any day. Not only does it alleviate the 'flapping' as I was able to run it at hip height, but the drawing and holstering was so much easier since there were no buckles that held a gun in place - just a button with spring tension.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.