I Need Help To Build A Weird Device

Ian_Gere

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

Ian

A wobbly ball are those balls that vibrate with the conical shapes on them when you put them on the floor, toddlers play with them

My google-foo has failed me, mate. All i've come up with is this, which doesn't seem to be what you're on about. Help a nob out, please?

• Supporters

I reckon egg timer is the best option so far, find a way to put it in a tennis ball to protect it and muffle the sound a bit and you're onto a winner!

Well yeah, but it's a wind up thing which i'd need to be able to get hold of with both hands, so putting it inside a ball would be a bit of a... you've guessed it... ballache.

Ian_gere

Just searched on google images and what I was on about is called a 'bumble ball'

Type in bumble ball images onto Google and you'll see what I was on about, I think they have an on/off switch

Omg I've just realised the most easiest and simple thing possible

Your idea is to distract the enemy right, some sort of decoy ??

Why not just tie some para cord to a branch or something, crawl away to a position far away enough out of earshot (chances are they won't hear anything anyway) and just tug the cord in an irregular pattern when they are near it

I used the same principal when 'hobo fishing' an old can, some fishing line and a hook. Bait and cast the hook then just move the can to imitate insects etc in the water

• Supporters

The bumble ball has great possibilities. It already is a ball and it has LED's so I can just replace 'em with IR ones. I'll just have to get one and see how much/what type of noise it makes, but i suspect that I'll be able to muffle it inside if it's too much.

There are loads of things which I could use in the role of a 'normal' distraction device, from the low tech string tied to something a distance away from me, right the way up to a miniature replica skirmisher with a tac light, remote control AEG, and a speaker system shouting, "Gummi puppen!?!"

But think about it... you are part of a small 'fire team' advancing in the dark. An obvious sound and/or light catches your attention forward and left. In the initial split second you're not sure exactly what the range is, because unless a sound has an associated movement you see, you have to turn your head this way and that to localise it, and a light could be tiny and close by, or bigger and further away (Father Dougal). What do you do? Fire in the general direction, right? Raising your muzzle as you do to cover close by out to longer range... unless one of your team mates beats you to it, in which case you may just observe, dial your senses in.

Chances are, if you were at all bunched up, you've split up and gone for cover, right? Or if you are good at it, you were already well dispersed, so all you need to do is go to ground.

Nobody calls a hit. Not long after the initial contact at least one of the squad is likely to have a good idea where the bogey is. Further fire on target, especially full auto, should produce a hit, right? So if it doesn't then something is up, right? Maybe whoever it is has taken cover, or moved - maybe they're not taking their hits... or, maybe it is a trick. Whatever your thinking, you are not going to continue to advance as a group until you have sussed whatever is going on. Maybe just one of you advances. Maybe one or two go for an attempt to flank the position. Maybe you just hose the entire area on the grounds that whatever is going on, there is probably some opposition nearby whom you cannot see, but that doesn't mean you can't hit them. Maybe you do all of the above...

None of that puts me, hiding in the dark, wanting to knock out your whole squad, in a very good position. Once I begin firing, I want to be able to hit you all before any of you can swing your guns towards me or effectively take cover.

So subtlety has got to be the way forward. If you're not even sure that what you're hearing is the enemy, or where it is coming from, and no amount of head turning helps to localise it, what can you do? Fire away randomly for sure, but if i've chosen my position well for cover, I'm still good to go when you lot either attempt to just avoid the whole area, or continue to advance in your skirmish order. Either way I'll be able to wait for just the right moment, quite possibly to be able to shoot the lot of you in the back as you pass me, or turn left, right, or 180 degrees.

It's all good in theory ian

But in my experience, we all go to ground or take cover and listen, once we knew the direction and didn't see anymore movement or even people, we would then get up and move back the way we came and find an alternate route

• Supporters

It's all good in theory ian

But in my experience, we all go to ground or take cover and listen, once we knew the direction and didn't see anymore movement or even people, we would then get up and move back the way we came and find an alternate route

Turning your backs on me, muahahahaaaaa!

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.