Maple Leaf and RWA Buckings

chrisbirley

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi all

i have recently bought a couple of new buckings for my G&G TR4-18 gen3 to try and improve the range and accuracy. i bought a Maple Leaf Monster hop 70' and an RWA hop up, both of which are meant to be much better than standard buckings - or so i have been lead to believe.

i have tried both of them and dont really think i have seen any difference in the range of the gun, could it be that i have installed it incorrectly - i have left everything else stock, or could i have been duped by marketing blurb?

i wondered whether they needed to be bedded in so i ran about 500 bbs or so through each one, but still no noticeable difference.

does anyone have any suggestions?

thanks

You get stuff like R-hops and people that put in Velcro patches which supposedly increase accuracy and range dramatically.

You could also try throwing in a 6.03 or 6.02 tightbore barrel and see if that helps? Just watch your FPS doesn't go over your local sites limit.

• Supporters

Maple leaf has a bigger contact point. That means that it can handle heavier BBs than normal hopup rubbers. Heavier BB means better accuracy.

If you use the same BBs there is not much difference between any of the quality hopup rubbers.

If the barrel is not bent or scratched and is clean, the hopup rubber is clean, the hopup is fixed so it can't wobble - so basically if the gun is in good shape, then the one thing that really affects accuracy is the BB.

If you have a good working gun and the right BB, then buying precision barrels, cnc hopups, H nubs, any GB internal parts will only affect accuracy in such a tiny amount that it won't be noticeable in game.

many thanks for the responses. being part of the G&G Top Tech range the gun already has a 6.03mm TBB. i was using .25g bbs, but was trialing a sample of .3g bbs so perhaps my comparison wasnt overly fair. i admit i wasnt testing for an accuracy point of view, it was more from the point of view of distance. though thinking about it i was very close around the flower that i was aiming at, so accuracy did seem to have improved, but distance seemed about the same - or is this expected - changing the hop and going up in BB weight increases the accuracy, but you get a decrease in the overall distance due to the heavier BB, hence making the distance about the same?

i would have thought i would be hitting a good 50m or so, instead of about 30-40m but again is that me expecting too much?

the barrel was cleaned out before the new bucking was put on, no grease or silicon was used during the installation, the hop unit seems very secure in the gun.

Once fitted onto the inner barrel I put a little silicon grease on the outside of the hop rubber only, before sliding it into the hop unit. It should slide in easily, not too tight or loose (insert inuendo gags here lol). This allows the hop rubber a degree of movement during increasing/decreasing the amount of hop applied compared to fitting it dry, which can result in overstretching of the rubber in worst case scenario.

• Supporters

A 70 degree hop is too hard for sub 250fps guns. Probably why you haven't noticed a difference.

• Supporters

many thanks for the responses. being part of the G&G Top Tech range the gun already has a 6.03mm TBB. i was using .25g bbs, but was trialing a sample of .3g bbs so perhaps my comparison wasnt overly fair. i admit i wasnt testing for an accuracy point of view, it was more from the point of view of distance. though thinking about it i was very close around the flower that i was aiming at, so accuracy did seem to have improved, but distance seemed about the same - or is this expected - changing the hop and going up in BB weight increases the accuracy, but you get a decrease in the overall distance due to the heavier BB, hence making the distance about the same?

i would have thought i would be hitting a good 50m or so, instead of about 30-40m but again is that me expecting too much?

the barrel was cleaned out before the new bucking was put on, no grease or silicon was used during the installation, the hop unit seems very secure in the gun.

providing your hop can lift them, heavier BBs always go further.

• Supporters

^^^ That

A lot of new players think that because of the weight, heavier BBs will get pulled down out of the air quicker, but we have hop! The Magnus effect, fighting against gravity. So as long as your hop can send the BBs straight, that can adequately fight gravity. The shot only has to fight air resistance, and a heavier BB takes more air to slow it down. Plus, they might start off going slower, but they carry the same energy, and they maintain their velocity, and thus their energy, for longer because of their weight.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.