Ares Amoeba AM-013 Honey badger, 11.1v lipo?

Kopper

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi guys, I've just bought an AM-013 and alot of retailer reviews say that because of the steel gears and high torque motor etc that it is 11.1v lipo ready.. Is this just retailers trying to make a sale or is it actually safe to use 11.1v on it without it breaking right away?

• Supporters

Safe on an 11.1V. It has the same gearbox as the now tried and tested Amoeba series guns (it IS an amoeba series gun!)

Some of the Amoeba series have bushings rather than bearings, SWAP THESE OUT IMMEDIATELY. the bushings just get worn through causing catastrophic failures of ALL major components.

Having said that large and off putting warning, I stuck some bearings in an Amoeba today with a quick shim and the standard gears the thing is a monster. Definately looking more seriously at buying one now.

Unless Piston AOE is corrected,gears are shimmed well,has a mosfet and good shock absorption on the front of the shell it isn't long term reliable on an 11.1v lipo.

It will either eat it's piston or fry it's trigger contacts.

On the bushings v Bearings debate- Bearings are good if they are over 8mm in diameter so they can hander higher loads. They are also best placed on the sector and bevel gear since load is more-or-less equally divided on the two sides. Spur gear should have bushings since most of the load is shifted to one side. Bushings are harder to fuck up for manufacturers too,so lemons are much less common.

Retailer is just trying to make a sell. Low end Chinese guns have been coming with neodymium high torque motors and some of the strongest stock steel gears about since 2008 or so,that's the 'standard' really for a gun tbh. I don't think anyone other than Marui uses non steel gears and even then TM only make Zinc sector gears,the others are just a weak alloy.

Hasn't it got the Ares electronic PCB trigger, negating the need for a mosfet?

I'll need to do some research on that-Still need to find some info on their Electronic trigger that isn't marketing bollocks.

The other trigger,with microswitches they used did tend to fail on 11.1s,however,although generally lasting a little bit longer than standard contacts but still an 'inevitable' failure.

Got it myself was advised not to go higher than 8 myself using a 7.4 lipo but like the others say use a MOSFET with it if using 11.1v

Hi guys, I've just bought an AM-013 and alot of retailer reviews say that because of the steel gears and high torque motor etc that it is 11.1v lipo ready.. Is this just retailers trying to make a sale or is it actually safe to use 11.1v on it without it breaking right away?

Check your Badgers guys, sent mine back for a replacement due to the front end on mine being bent downwards only to find out all three shipments that have come to the UK are either bent downwards or out to the left or right. That's from the retailers mouth that I purchased mine from. No word back on this being rectified by the supplier. Let me know how your guns are once checked please.

Thanks.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.