ROF?

Richie Boyle

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

is there a way of finding out or is it the old failsafe way of emptying a mag filled with a counted number of rounds while your mate times it?

obviously this relates to full auto only. I am curious about my AEG and AEP. I reckon the AEP is quicker. The only foreseeable issue is the fact that the G3 only has hicaps which could affect performance with its progressively reducing tension

is there cronos that does this maybe?

Theres a crono app (which I dont know if it works for airsoft) that counts the time between the sound of the gun going of and the sound of the bullet hitting the target. Similar method should work for ROF, by shooting something that makes a sound (metal sheet for example?) then counting how many sounds it makes in a second. not sure if theres such app, but if you're really dedicated, you can record it and count in an editing program. Would count a few separate seconds to make sure it's consistent thou.

Well, ROF is measured in more than one way. You've basically got four different types, so pick which one you like...

Cyclic Rate: This is the mechanical rate at which a gun can fire when the trigger is held on, disregarding stuff such as magazine capacity, mag changes, overheating etc. So despite the fact that the cyclic rate is usually expressed in RPM (rounds per minute), it does not mean that the gun in question could actually keep that rate of fire up for a minute.

Sustained Rate: This is what it says, i.e. the rate at which fire can be put out continuously over an extended period, taking into account things such as reloading, changing barrels (on things like an M60, for which the crew are provided with an asbestos - or similar - heat-resistant glove), replenishing water on a water cooled machine guns (there are records of Vickers MG gun crews urinating into the water jacket of their machine guns during prolonged engagements. In 1916, some Vickers MGs were fired almost continuously for ten hours apparently, necessitating multiple barrel changes and a lot of water, since the Vickers MG boils off about a pint and a half of water for every 1,000 rounds put through the thing.

Rapid fire rate: This is the 'ignore everything else, this is an emergency' rate of fire, which could not realistically be maintained on most guns, since it would likely damage them in some way.

Semi-automatic rate: This is the rate at which you can put rounds out using repeated single trigger pulls, disregarding mag changes and such, on guns with a low automatic cyclic rate, this figure is usually pretty close to the full auto rate assuming the firer can pull the trigger fast enough, and there are tricks such as 'bump-firing' (i.e. using the recoil to help pull the trigger again) which can make this figure misleading sometimes, since firing like that is unlikely to be very accurate.

As with most things, the 'brochure figures' are usually the fastest one the makers can quote, and not always the most practical guide, but usually quoted in order to give it the 'wow factor'. This is the same as when aircraft manufacturers say their fighter plane 'can do Mach 2' when what they don't mention is that it'll have to be in full afterburner to manage it, and will as a result run out of fuel in five minutes, so will probably then crash if it isn't near a suitable airfield lol.

Back with airsoft guns however, a decent chromo will tell you the ROF from a few shots, or you can time how long it takes to empty ten rounds and then take that up to a minute to give your a rough guide on ROF.

they have only fired single shots when checking my guns with their chrono. I understand what I presume is the same concept as a practical lesson I did in physics class. An object passes between 2 fixed points and the speed is calculated from that. Can a chrono tel you how many objects pass through it and how long it takes?

in simple terms, my desert eagle holds 32 rounds in a mag. I want to know how fast it can empty a single mag and compare that figure to the G3. Just idle curiousity because the DE seemed remarkably fast at emptying a mag on the range. The G3 will naturally feel slower because it holds well over 10 x as many.

• Supporters

record sound of you hitting tin - dustbin, baking tray for just over a sec

in windows - most basic sound software of freebie audacity open wav/mp3 sound file

count the spikes of tin getting shot over the 1 sec or 0.5 or 2.0 sec time frame

or buy x3200 x-cortech take out guess work and know your fps as well as rof

let rip a burst of say about 10 shots on auto & it will tell you straight away both figures

but using your mobile I guess you could dry fire it for a sec or two - then look at wav file

counting the "slaps" of piston pushing out the air & again count the spikes within a 1 sec time frame

using something like the sound software would be a little messing about I guess at first

but once set you could just dry fire a gun for a sec or two - heck even a few different ones

and find out on screen which is faster to settle an argument

might be an app to count beats per min & divide by 60 or something like that

techy wise dry firing a gun may not be exact same as firing a loaded mag as there must be some

slight resistance when propelling a bb out of barrel as opposed to dry firing

but as long as all tests on say 2 or 3 gun were same - dry fired then you know which is faster

heck if you wanted to go absolute mental nuts you could record both dry fire & loaded and see if

rof is a massive difference in the 2 examples - my guess is perhaps 5% difference max if dry firing

but might be less/more as I have never conducted the 2 differences/test

• Supporters

OK. Potential controversial post warning.

Why does knowing your ROF even matter? Other than willy waving all you need to know is "is it enough?". Granted I believe that a high ROF as a byproduct of seeking better trigger response is a nice to have but insane ROF as a deliberately sought out thing is pointless so my opinion is probably skewed by that. Most people I've seen with "insane ROF" guns have been utter dicks about it. You can get a kill with one shot. 25rps just means you're MORE likely to overkill and piss people off so why do it?

in simple terms, my desert eagle holds 32 rounds in a mag. I want to know how fast it can empty a single mag and compare that figure to the G3. Just idle curiousity because the DE seemed remarkably fast at emptying a mag on the range. The G3 will naturally feel slower because it holds well over 10 x as many.

When I tested it I remember emptying the mag in just over 2 seconds, so ROF is about 750 - 800 for the Dessie. Never did check it exactly on my chrono though.

it is nothing to do with the game Lozart. It is nothing other than curiosity between 2 weapons I own. I cant imagine when I would use full auto with a pistol during a game anyway. I would assume its range would be lucky to be of any use beyond single shot limits anyway so the information I want is irrelevant to a skirmish. In CQB I wouldn't want open up at someone with it although I think I would choose it over the 1911s for practical reasons. Semi only though

• Supporters

it is nothing to do with the game Lozart. It is nothing other than curiosity between 2 weapons I own. I cant imagine when I would use full auto with a pistol during a game anyway. I would assume its range would be lucky to be of any use beyond single shot limits anyway so the information I want is irrelevant to a skirmish. In CQB I wouldn't want open up at someone with it although I think I would choose it over the 1911s for practical reasons. Semi only though

Fair play. :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Supporters

^^That - I can confirm that the Xcoretech X3200 automatically gives you a ROF figure if you fire full-auto through it.

In terms of skirmishing, IMO ROF's between 18-25rps are, as Loz says, just pointless byproducts of seeking better trigger response and as such are more of a pain in the arse than something to be sought after since, even with good trigger discipline, you're not going to get as much spread of fire from a 3-4rnd burst as with 11-17rps (which is useful for firing at running targets). But above 25rps I believe there is an intimidation factor which, used deliberately, could be turned into a tactical advantage.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.