How to effectively communicate by radio.

jcheeseright

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

The only thing I can add to this is -- W.W.W

I know you've covered most of it cheese and I'm probably repeating what you said but this is how it was taught to me, pretty much every scenario/situation falls under the 3 W's, with practice and experience, you'll get used to it and learn so much more

What - what's important that your transmitting

Where - positions of yourself, your team mates and the enemy

Why - why are you transmitting, is it important

For communicating with all team members at once, say 'all call signs' and 'this is (your call sign) then say your message

If people learn the phonetic alphabet, you can be much better of with coded words, areas and situations

Good point two zero, didn't take into account people without headsets etcb

Better to turn it down so you can just about hear it

I would add that when it comes to radio communication, you should attempt to moderate any accent you might have, if you a particularly broad one. By that, I don't mean you have to sound like Captain Tarquin Farquhar briefing the passengers on board his Boeing 737, on what the weather is going to be like upon arrival in Rome, but you should endeavour to make sure that any accent or dialect you have doesn't impede the clarity of your message.

Can I just add a point regarding the use of 'out'

'Out' should be used by the person originating the call to denote no further traffic from them. So, if James initiated the transmission in the first place, then James should acknowledge Aaron with the 'out', as James might want Aaron to act on the information passed.

Also, for the sake of brevity once communications have been started between two people then there should be no need to repeat the 'to - from' part of the transmission.

Example:

AARON this is JAMES, four blues moving to the south of the fort, heading towards fuel dump, OVER

JAMES this is AARON, roger, OVER

JAMES, I want you to provide covering fire so I can move into position, OVER

ROGER covering fire now, OVER

ROGER, AARON OUT

Everybody now knows what is going on and they are now aware that Aaron has finished his conversation.

The only time this should be different is if a CONTROL is in place, and then it will be the controller that will end the transmission with OUT.

Hope that makes sense?

Great guide JC, thanks, very clear and simple, just as Comms should be! No Comms, No Combat!

You're spot on with some of the inane waffle that gets passed over the net or the useless information because the listeners can't relate to "my 12 o'clock!!".

As well as doing Comms checks at the start of the day, its a good opportunity to agree on call signs, code words and lost Comms procedures.

And for those who are a little geographically vacant or in gaming areas with many similar buildings, such as FIBUA sites, a ground brief, pointing out the salient points, so everyone knows where North, South, East and West are and an agreed method for indicating specific buildings can be very useful. Most sites have small sketch maps, some can be downloaded in advance from the web, or there's always good old Google maps!

Combat net radio is one of the great aids to small unit cohesion, it can also be one of the biggest mill stones if you have a plumb that talks sh1te all the time!

Coven Leader to Raven, Come in Raven!!!!

• Supporters

I apologise in advance, there is going to be some rambling ahead!
[snip]

So, let me get this right...

You're suggesting, that screaming 'oi f**knugget' and derogatory remarks about various mothers at people down your radio, may not be an effective method of communication?

Good guide though, if more people bothered to us their radios properly, I'd think about using mine more often.

suppose there is different rules in radio communication as well.. when I used radios at work a normal job would go something like this:

control: two zero two zero two zero John
two zero: two zero
control: **** going **, sending details

two zero: rodge

two zero: two zero
control: two zero
two zero: two zero POB going **
control: rodger

*except my name isn't John, thou my call sign was two zero

or some excellent example of effective radio communication from my site

bloke1: pizza afterwards?
bloke2: yea, I think I paid last time?
*silence*

bloke1: euuhm.. there's an elk here.
bloke2: you serious??
bloke1: yea.
bloke2: aim for the eyes!!

....thats the last we ever heard from bloke1

• 3 weeks later...

In addition to the glossary, is Wilco (will comply) used in military operations? Or does Roger serve the same purpose? Don't hate me if it's wrong :P

Hmmm Wilco is an oldie, certainly not used in my time in the Army, but for airsoft? No biggie.

Others coming in to common usage "Afirm" - short for affirmative and "Break" to indicate you are pausing your message, and intend to continue. It would normally have been "Roger so far?"

• 3 months later...

Improper radio communication is something that really bothers me to.

These are the radio comm rules that I learned for DEM Emergency Responders its the full PDF well worth a full read over.

http://www.dem.ri.gov/topics/erp/4_3.pdf

Its a bit like having a rifle and not knowing your stoppage drills...

(Edit) Oscar Mike, Infinity Ward's new favorite fetish word.

• Supporters

Hmmm Wilco is an oldie, certainly not used in my time in the Army, but for airsoft? No biggie.

Others coming in to common usage "Afirm" - short for affirmative and "Break" to indicate you are pausing your message, and intend to continue. It would normally have been "Roger so far?"

didn't see this, wilco gets used a fair amount in aviation, it's definitely still in APP1 :)

damn good introductory guide, perhaps too good and i'll get less kills off people standing around with their head tilted/ear-covered suffering comms confusions :)

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.