tools to get pins out of the gun when dismantling

springs

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I use a thin Phillips head screw driver and pliers as a knocking stick (hammer) I get more control using the pliers

to conclude i managed to get a set of pin punches and eventually got my Pins out i was having issues with.

hopefully they will come in handy then next time i strip a couple of guns down.

• Supporters

I use drawing pins with the point sanded flat (Y) nice and easy to push on by hand, but has a fat enough head to use a hammer if you need too.
Plus if they break, who cares? You can get 80 billion for about a quid lol.

• Supporters

I use drawing pins with the point sanded flat (Y) nice and easy to push on by hand, but has a fat enough head to use a hammer if you need too.

Plus if they break, who cares? You can get 80 billion for about a quid lol.

I wish you could actually get 80 billion drawing pins for a quid.

Any sort of flat head drift that is smaller or close to the diameter of the pin will do, but using a phillips or pozidriv screwdriver, or in fact any other pointed head tool, will likely damage the pin or at the very least scratch up its surface, since the pins are not likely to be very hard steel; it won't do the screwdriver any favours either, since screwdrivers are not meant to be hit with hammers and mallets (that's one of the places where DIY injuries come from). You should be using the right tool for the job, and that does not have to be expensive. 'Pound shops ' invariably have a few tools in them, they're not normally devastatingly brilliant quality of course, but it is likely they will have punches and flat drifts. Use a small hammer to lightly tap the drift - not a bloody great big lump hammer - as a big hammer will cause damage and transfer shock to other parts of your weapon.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.