sights?

Fugi94

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

You tried a reflex sight and didn't like it, do you mean iron sights? Red dot sights all work the same way and just have different looks. Which looks best will depend what gun you put it on and personal choice. Iron sights are generally better for accuracy and red dot sights are better for fast targeting.

Different guns will have different iron sights, maybe have a look at a few different guns.

If you want a red dot sight, just look on amazon or ebay for red dot sights and find a cheap one you like the look of. It's worth checking which batteries they take as although they don't use batteries up very fast, some batteries are easier to pick up from a petrol station on the way to a game than others.

I've mainly killed off sights... Inside about 20m ish, their accurate,

at 30, your starting to have to compensate on anything but a perfectly still day

At 40+ you would be just as accurate turning the dot off and putting your target in the middle of the tube.

This is about the same on any aeg, and any scope without serious work... So really... Irons are all you need. Anything else is really just for looks.

• Supporters

What didn't you like about the reflex sight?

Don't want to sound like a cock... But was it actually sighted in? 'Cos I can imagine thinking something was a thorough pile of balls if it wasn't configured.

I see some guys turn up to a game, put on their brand new sight and off they go. That way does not lead to success, they must be zeroed. Other than that pretty much any 1x sight is fine for airsoft and they go for about £40 upwards.

• Supporters

i have heard iron sights you can not lock onto a target quick enough and what is the best sight 20-30 pounds?

That's rubbish. With practice they're just as good, it's about you not the sight.

Granted reflx and dot sights usually have a more open sight area so you can have more awareness by peripheral vision but seriously - iron sights are just fine (as long as you use decent ones).

• Supporters

If I was going to stick with irons I'd at least want to get some that glowed in the dark or something, dot sights are a must for night games and dark indoor sites imo. Those situations when it's too dark to be sure exactly where you're pointing the gun, because you have no visual points of reference, something you can aim with that's illuminated is invaluable.

Irons are generally considered worse because you have to line up two points with your target, instead of just 1 with an optic. You also have to have your head directly in line with the irons in order to use them, whereas with dot sights there's a degree of movement you're free to make and still be able to see through it and aim accurately.

Though irons aren't necessarily worse for accuracy or anything like that, how close together they are will make a difference to your accuracy, the further apart the front and rear post, the better the accuracy you'll get from using them. Well, the accuracy of the gun will remain the same, but your ability to utilise the accuracy will increase the further apart your irons are.

Anyway though, you can get a pretty varied range of holo/dot sights for anything from £10 and up, have a look for EOTechs or Aimpoints, they're the more common ones, I think WE T1 Aimpoint replicas go for about £25 or so.

As for which is the best, that's all down to personal preference. Just pick one you like the look of to start with, they all work in the same way.

Bear in mind that on a bolt acton 22lr, you can use irons at 100y to get 18 Inch groups... So the sighting system itself will vastly out range the gun their on (in this case). I don't use any sights at all and I can get consistent hits at about 30y and only need 1 or 2 prior shots to get good hits at double that.

I have a vortex sparc upstairs with matching magnifier... Enough scope to be worth more than most good guns... And it comes with lifetime guarantees, so there's no earthly reason not to run them... Except that their not needed...

Personally I find it much faster to acquire my target using a red dot. My initial games were in a dark CQB environment and iron sights were definitely not the right sighting system to use. Out in the woodland I doubt it makes much difference and indeed I see quite a few people who use and are happy with iron sights. But in CQB, in the dark the red dot is an essential part of kit IMO. Accuracy wise for airsoft I don't notice much different really, I just find it quicker to line up the dot sight with the target than to have to line up front and rear irons and focus on the front one and not the target. Red dots mean you can focus on the target and still aim accurately and to me that is an important plus point for them.

^^ second that. Also, my face mask makes using iron sights quite difficult. The only iron sights I use are the ones on my pistol.

This is why I suggested trying different guns before buying. Guns come in different shapes and iron sights vary. If the OP hasn't bough a gun yet then now is the time to find out what sort of ironsights work for him.

I mostly play CQB and have a red dot on my Mp5K for a couple of reasons.

1) My mask/goggle combo doesnt allow me to get the gun close enough to feel I am using the irons correctly

2) In darker areas I feel more confident using the dot over the sights as I feel I am shooting more accurately, this may be a placebo effect but when I swapped the rental for the first time for a friends gun with a sight I instantly felt I was getting more hits.

3) THEY LOOK COOL.... (in my opinion, but I like modern looking guns loaded up to the max)

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.