The Special Forces/Milsim thread

SimonQuigley

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I don't personally find BB's are anywhere as accurate as a 5.56 round. At the extent of the range of my gun I find I need at least 5-10 rounds to get the hit. Yet at 30metres or so I would expect to very reliably hit what I was shooting at with 5.56 (and various other calibres I have used). Considering with a 22 I can happily shoot into the 85 score range I am pretty confident I can hit a penny at that range with most shots, let alone a person. Yet with my BB gun I miss quite a bit. Therefore a realistic amount of ammo is 5-10x what a real gun would use, so 150-300 rounds. Therefore depending on the accuracy of your gun your realistic ammo ranges are in the mid cap to high cap range. 30 round magazines just don't seem skirmish able to me.

If you can't put a tight grouping down at 30m with 5.56 it's time to go home. How do you fair at 100, 200 or 600m when the distance pressure is on!

What's a tight grouping 30m on your second time? And no, I'm not telling mine yet because I don't want to be too embarrassed lol

What, on a real rifle?

If it's with an airsoft gun it's redundant, they're nowhere near accurate enough as a platform without a lot of mods and upgrades.

On a real rifle the only real factors are the firer's position, breath control, trigger pull and the weapon's type. It's easier to get a good grouping with a semi automatic over a bolt action, as with a bolt action the firer will disrupt their position each time they operate the bolt.

What's a tight grouping 30m on your second time? And no, I'm not telling mine yet because I don't want to be too embarrassed lol

Can't remember if it was 30m or 50m but if you can hit a large dinner plate you should be okay

Grouping is the basic element in all shooting training, regardless of weapon type, usually taught initially from the prone position, then moving on to alternative positions. It can be taught at 25m or 100m and its aim (no pun intended) is to train the shooter to be able to hold, aim and fire the weapon consistently.

Only when they can do this, can they then move on to zeroing their weapon and then the discipline know as "Application of fire".

This is where, you weapon may well hit the correct zeroing point when you apply the correct point of aim at 25/100m in the prone, but it will change as the range and your position changes.

The shooter must learn this and "apply" a corrected point of aim (or aim off) so that they can constantly hit what they're shooting at.

The key to it all is the application of the four marksmanship principles,as summarised by Tacmaster:

1. Position and hold must be firm enough to support the weapon.

2. The weapon must point naturally at the target, with out any undue effort.

3. Sight alignment, (i.e. aiming) must be correct.

4. The shot must be released and followed through without disturbing the position.

Grouping is everything rifles, archery, whatever.

If you are making a tight group then your position is consistent. After you have established a tight grouping every time you shoot you can move on to making adjustments to the sights to bring the group on to the aiming point.

It is doubly important in archery where you aren't just pointing the sights at a target but the way you draw and hold the string, support the bow and release all effect the aim.

It is doubly important in archery where you aren't just pointing the sights at a target but the way you draw and hold the string, support the bow and release all effect the aim.

Position, hold and trigger pull are very important in shooting, it isn't 'just pointing the sights at the target'. If it worked like that everyone would be a crack shot providing they weren't blind!

• 5 weeks later...

Not airsoft, more pyro related, but Im making myself a milsim rocket launcher.

Its starting to take shape. I refuse to pay £400 + for a wooden or resin replica.

Its for me to use in our eastern bloc milsim games and is designed around a government weapon made by the fictional eastern bloc ex soviet state of Moldistan.

I'm creating the M5 70mm Recoiless Rifle developed by Korporatsia Takticheskogo Moldistan (KTM), the Moldistani nationalised weapons producer.

Essentially designed for anti-tank, anti-building and anti-personnel roles, the carbon fibre based unit is light, compact and highly portable (Just over 1m in length). It fires rockets which can be rear loaded by a second person in the team and which are clipped into a removable frame. Ignition is electronic and aiming is achieved by a red dot sight, which allows easier use at night when wearing NV goggles.

BRIEF FACTS

Range: 300m

Penetration: 500mm steel armour

Ammunition:

HE Anti-Personnel Air Burst Rocket with Timer

Rocket Assisted HEAT Anti-Armoured Vehicle

Future development of a laser guided Ultra Light Missile munition is said to be planned. This is rumoured to increase the range to 1500-2000m and improve accuracy and could possibly enable the M5 to engage low flying air targets.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.