The Special Forces/Milsim thread

SimonQuigley

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

As we have a few members with SF inspired kits *gear whores* It could be helpful to have a thread to discuss news in the community, new kits, photos or new rifles. Half of me says that inevitably, this thread wont take off, but I may as well throw it out there.

I'll start, which military units are currently using the CPC?

I currently use a JPC and it would appear they're being phased out. If i've got money at the time, i plan on getting a replica CPC with a crye zip on backpack. Flex, they're pretty nice over all, and you can also get a version with a triple m4 pouch (NJPC) instead of a regular version with the kangaroo style pouch.

what are the advantages of the cpc over the jpc

I dont own a CPC but from what i can see; QD buckle, lots of customisable options ( http://cryeprecision.com/C-233/CAGE-Plate-Carrier%E2%84%A2-(CPC) ) more molle space, cool looking and i think the overall carrier is bigger.

'Scuse my ignorance? CPC? Crye Precision Cam? Crye Plate Carrier? I'll be the first to confess to being a "Gear Whore"!! lol, I'm currently using a WAS DCS, for three reasons mainly, it seemed like good value, i wanted a PC in multicam and the Bulldog Tactical Assault Mk2 was always out of bl**dy stock!

I'm very happy with what I have, its a good base platform and does the trick!

Great idea for a thread btw, I do have a burning question, but perhaps more MilSim than SF.....

'Scuse my ignorance? CPC? Crye Precision Cam? Crye Plate Carrier? I'll be the first to confess to being a "Gear Whore"!! lol, I'm currently using a WAS DCS, for three reasons mainly, it seemed like good value, i wanted a PC in multicam and the Bulldog Tactical Assault Mk2 was always out of bl**dy stock!

I'm very happy with what I have, its a good base platform and does the trick!

Great idea for a thread btw, I do have a burning question, but perhaps more MilSim than SF.....

Cage Plate Carrier, so you were close :D Ask! i'm sure someone will have an answer :ph34r:

I dont own a CPC but from what i can see; QD buckle, lots of customisable options ( http://cryeprecision.com/C-233/CAGE-Plate-Carrier%E2%84%A2-(CPC) ) more molle space, cool looking and i think the overall carrier is bigger.

Just follwed the link and answered my questions, TVM

Cage Plate Carrier, so you were close :D Ask! i'm sure someone will have an answer :ph34r:

Cheers, lol, it does seem pretty similar to my WAS DCS, but no wear near those eye-watering prices!! WAS claim to have some kind of UKSF pedigree to their kit and its design, does anyone know if its true?

• Supporters

Cheers, lol, it does seem pretty similar to my WAS DCS, but no wear near those eye-watering prices!! WAS claim to have some kind of UKSF pedigree to their kit and its design, does anyone know if its true?

As far as I know it's all smoke and mirrors, UKSF were very much LBT/Paraclete in the old days and nowadays Crye all the way.

As for differences between the JPC and CPC... pretty much everything except they both take SAPI plates, the JPC is (as the name suggests; JUMPABLE plate carrier) a lightweight plate carrier designed for jumping out of aeroplanes and when weight savings are absolutely paramount, the CPC on the other hand is all about maximum protection and load bearing capability. The harness on the CPC hugs your torso really tightly and makes wearing a heavy load (plates, grenades, magazines, water, etc etc etc) much more comfortable, the JPC doesn't really do that at all, since it's not designed to.

• Supporters

UKSF have also started going towards Eagle gear again- notably the ricas. The JPC just didn't have the coverage that was needed for ops which the CPC does as Jcheesright says above.

Are you high? the RICAS is made by Warrior, not Eagle, if you're thinking of the CIRAS (which the RICAS is arguably a clone of) then you're wrong, why would anyone wear a 10 year old, proven to be really uncomfortable and bulky design when they could wear a CPC instead?

No one is issued the CIRAS anymore.

On a slightly different, more of a MilSim tangent, one thing I don't get is the obsession with realistic looking weapons, down to the minutest detail, and then go stick a 300 round or 150 round mag in it?!

Realism is one of the main draws of the sport/game/activity to me and I've always been on gas guns with real cap mags.

I know what it's like to carry 3000 rounds of 5.56mm, NOT FUNNY!! but why go balls out for realism and then go all high cap? Might just be me, but doesn't make sense?

any thoughts?

• Supporters

On a slightly different, more of a MilSim tangent, one thing I don't get is the obsession with realistic looking weapons, down to the minutest detail, and then go stick a 300 round or 150 round mag in it?!

Realism is one of the main draws of the sport/game/activity to me and I've always been on gas guns with real cap mags.

I know what it's like to carry 3000 rounds of 5.56mm, NOT FUNNY!! but why go balls out for realism and then go all high cap? Might just be me, but doesn't make sense?

any thoughts?

Most milsim types tend towards low caps...

• Supporters

I think he meant that why do players spend hundreds of pounds creating a super realistic gun, then play with highcaps

I know.

I meant that the "srs bsns" milsim types don't play with Hi caps.

I don't personally find BB's are anywhere as accurate as a 5.56 round. At the extent of the range of my gun I find I need at least 5-10 rounds to get the hit. Yet at 30metres or so I would expect to very reliably hit what I was shooting at with 5.56 (and various other calibres I have used). Considering with a 22 I can happily shoot into the 85 score range I am pretty confident I can hit a penny at that range with most shots, let alone a person. Yet with my BB gun I miss quite a bit. Therefore a realistic amount of ammo is 5-10x what a real gun would use, so 150-300 rounds. Therefore depending on the accuracy of your gun your realistic ammo ranges are in the mid cap to high cap range. 30 round magazines just don't seem skirmish able to me.

An interesting point BC, but it doesnt hold water when the overwhelming majority of player use their mid/high caps like they're sprayin' an a prayin'. Fire discipline, accurate shooting and sound field craft and use of the ground apply just as much to airsoft as they do to the real world. The lack of range in airsoft means we only have to get that bit closer. If hit percentages and range was the issue, it wouldn't be in CQB settings. I just don't see how one the one hand its all about using a weapons that is as realisitic as possible and on the other having a magazine that the A Team would be proud off.

Around christmas time I think I might start getting parts to make a block2, but no internals. I don't really have the cash to buy a whole new gun so I could make a gutted one then swap out the GB and motor to go into the new receiver. Thats if i dont end up buying a CM18. Does anyone know where to get a block2 part sheet/list at full resoplution?

We have our milsim this weekend.

Many of the players have only skirmished before and this will be their introduction to milsim and the use of mid caps and restricted ammo. Some players are renting weapons. It will be interesting to see whether they enjoy a different style of play,

The three principal forces which include a coalition special forces team have enough experienced milsimmers to demonstrate by example.

Low caps are permissible but with an ammo allowance of 600 rounds, thats a lot of mags to buy.

Most airsofters play to a budget.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.