Swiss Alpenflage (TAZ 83) - Thoughts on practicality?

Hav0c

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Thought I'd make a topic to discus the Swiss camo patern, Alpenflage as it has really caught my eye as an Autumn/Winter colour scheme.

What are you guys' thoughts on this pattern and how effective do you think it would be in UK woodland?

The camo pattern was originally developed in the 1950s I'm sure and took its inspiration from a couple of different kinds of German camouflage. It was in service with the Swiss Military until the late 1980s when it was replaced by a more woodland'ish pattern (TAZ 90 I think).

post-6853-0-34894800-1410967762_thumb.jpg

post-6853-0-72503900-1410967769_thumb.jpg

• Supporters

From Wikipedia:

Swiss soldiers [male citizens] have referred to it as "Vierfruchtpyjama", which translates loosely as Tutti-Frutti Pyjamas

Nice.

Personally I'd say that unless you're fighting in deciduous woodland while it's all turning lovely colours (for that week before all the leaves drop off in a fit of laziness) that it's a bit red/bright.

Personally I'd say that unless you're fighting in deciduous woodland while it's all turning lovely colours (for that week before all the leaves drop off in a fit of laziness) that it's a bit red/bright.

I actually own the Jacket pictured and I can back up what Rock Climby-dave said to it not being as bright as the pictures suggest.

The only time it would be as bright is if you were up close and personal, then you'd be like a running flare!

I also actually wore the jacket on sunday past and it seemed to work reasonably well with the DPM trousers I had on as it created somewhat of an unusual constrast.

At the typical non-CQB skirmish, with the ranges we're talking about and other factors, effectiveness of camouflage is dependent on your style of play and how you wear it, as much as the pattern... Assuming we're talking about 'normal' camo and not combat Barbie bright pink BDU's, and assuming we're talking about the predominately Caucasian make-up of Airsoft players in the UK (which is another interesting topic to be discussed elsewhere?)...

In my humble opinion, people think that their £400 Crye Multicam setup will make them as invisible as that ugly mutha f**ker Predator, but then walk around with the big pink fleshy blob above their shoulders uncovered, their sleeves rolled up to show off their Tan Oakley gloves, their black or Tan rifle sticking out like John Holmes in a Turkish bath house, their red and white shemagh around their neck with their chrome DEagle strapped across their chest, all around a solid OD green plate carrier with more pouches than a herd of siamese kangaroos.

Of course gucci geardos are extreme examples, but how often have some or all of these been seen on players at your local site? Because the principles of camo are undone on maybe 70-80% of people I see. And of course, if you're bolting across woodland, amazing camo or not, if you're going to be seen, your going to be seen.

For me and I think most players (as I say, it's dependent on your style of play) - the effectiveness of the camo pattern you choose only works to your advantage a hand full of times overall, if that - the rest of the time it makes minimal difference. So my point is, as others in other threads have said - go with what your wallet likes and what you feel good in.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.