First Skirmish

adazrambo

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi All,

Have my first skirmish on Saturday at the Armoury, i have gone for the rental package, i don't actually own any rental clothing so presume everything i will need will be included? Do you think i will need to take anything else with me apart from money, water bottle etc..

Thanks

Ummm I doubt clothing is included

if you have no combat gear, face mask, webbing, chest rig or a way to hold your magazines then I suggest dark clothing, try to get some trousers with multiple pockets and a decent pair of boots

Have you read what it states/supplies on there website

• Supporters

Just went for Skirmisher guys, did say 'protective clothing' but wasn't sure what exactly that covered to be fair, guessing it's pretty much everything apart from boots.

More than likely just coveralls but I would ask them to make sure, either email/call or ask on their FB group https://www.facebook.com/groups/22134443544/

Keep in mind that included protective clothing may simply be a face mask (possibly only goggles), maybe chest armour of some kind or a webbing rig that may serve as one, and possibly gloves. It is unlikely to be much more. You should probably wear decent boots or some tough high ankle trainers if you don't have boots, wearing combat pants and a thick long sleeved T shirt is not a bad idea, take thin gloves if you have them and maybe a scarf to protect your neck and lower face, especially if they only provide goggles and not full face protection, as a fast BB can break a tooth and bloody hurts if it hits you in the neck. As far as I'm aware, most sites insist you wear full face protection if under 18, and they will make you sign a disclaimer, so err on the side of going equipped for the eventuality that they do not give you shedloads of protective gear. It's not terribly dangerous, but it's no hassle to take a bag with some extra bits and bobs in it just to be sure you are covered up, as a BB on bare skin can sting a lot and break the skin if it is doing much over 300 fps, and some single shot snipers will be doing 500fps at exterior sites.

• Supporters

Keep in mind that included protective clothing may simply be a face mask (possibly only goggles), maybe chest armour of some kind or a webbing rig that may serve as one, and possibly gloves.

The package explicitly lists "full face mask".

I have never been to this site and it really differs between the sites. Some of them provide overalls and full face mask, some just the full face mask in my experience so far. I haven't yet come across one that does gloves or boots or neck wrap.

What I would recommend - take some trousers that are good for sports, ideal some tough ones (jeans are very bad, durable but bad with sweat), some thin protection gloves if you have some but if not don't worry about it. If you have a reasonable wrap for your neck you may as well take it and see if you get on with it, its again not essential so if you don't have an appropriate bit of cloth then don't worry about it, I personally don't get on with neck wraps at all so I just take the welts. Then you absolutely need water and money, for money you need enough to buy some BBs, drinks and food and maybe cabs and stuff depending on your existing fitness, because airsoft can be really tiring and wipe you completely out if you are currently unfit. If you already have an idea of how much water you get through when exercising then take an appropriate amount for the length of game, otherwise count for about 2 Litres for 3 hours of gameplay. It might be more than you need but you are better off having a bit too much. Take at least some of that water in a small bottle you can take with you into the field in a pocket so you can stay hydrated as its not uncommon for games to last multiple hours without a break.

You will go home with marks, bare skin ones from close up might break the skin although its pretty rare and those can take a week to heal. Usually all the marks are gone after a week and through the overalls most wont leave a mark. The site looks like its a mix of CQB and outdoors, so you probably wont get shot as much as people do in really small sites like Bunker 51, and presumably it wont be as hot or as close up. My advice is based on the most grueling games I have had there and what I have found I needed. In the woodland games I take a camelback of water but a small bottle will do the job just as well and other than all this I also take a towel. I use it to dry out my head after a game so that my goggles don't fog up from all the sweat, but you'll get a mesh mask most likely and that wont be an issue for you.

Thanks for the prompt replies everyone.

I have gone for the sensible option this evening, as they say, better to be prepared!

I have purchased a half face mask, goggles, & neck wrap so i can go home with my five senses and no missing teeth lol.

Will also pop to the local Sports Direct tomorrow and get some suitable footwear and some waterproof trousers, will probably just stick a fleece on for the upper half - should do me ok.

Will remember to pack some cash & plenty of water to keep me going through the day.

Really looking forward to it now, have spent most evening watching Skirmishes' on Youtube (must get a life)

• Supporters

Most sites will do a Gun, a mag (sometimes ammo in varying amounts) and full face protection, I would expect when they say protective clothing they are probably talking about a combat jacket if nothing else maybe overalls or a jacket and overtrousers combo.

I wouldn't bother getting waterproof trousers.

Turn up in a pair of decent boots (hiking boots work), trousers, tshirt preferably long sleeved (dark ish colours work well) and you might want a change of clothes for the end of the day. Make sure the clothes for playing in are fine for getting sh!t high. Google PMC and you'll see from the images what you could aim to look like if you want something functional that wouldn't look out of place.

If you are going to buy anything clothes wise for yourself I'd suggest getting down to your local army surplus and buying the cheapest pair of DPM trousers and shirt you can find in your size. I can get a set for under £30. The pockets help if you want to carry around bb's and stuff but I really wouldn't worry if you don't have camo, its not as useful as everyone makes out.

Top tip, grab a few normal sized ziplock sandwich bags, divi up your bbs between them (aim for about 1000 in each bag) that way if you drop one its not the end of the world, and you can carry one during the game for quick mag reloads. Try to find out from the regulars how the games work, you will normally find there is a spot that your team will use as a regen or sit around between rounds where you could leave a small bag with water, snacks and ammo to keep your pockets free and lightweight.

It's doubtful you will get multiple magazines so rigs are a waste of time, if they give you multiple mags they should give you a way to carry them or just stick one in your pocket and the other in the gun once in the play area it works fine.

Finally enjoy it, try to listen carefully to what is going on around you even between games and look around at others kit, guns etc, if there is something you like ask the owner about they will probably be more than happy to talk your ear off about it and you might even get to hold or even test fire. That way when it comes to buying your own you'll have an idea what you like/don't like.

• Supporters

My purchases went in this order:

( I already had a set of DPM combats from my cadet days, boots and a webbing belt)

- Gloves (Oakley rip offs from HK), Safety glasses, Mesh goggles and a half face mesh mask

- A drop leg magazine pouch set (held 2 mags), knee pads

- RIF

After about 6-8 months I bought a set of desert combats, a plate carrier with pouches, and a pistol, so I could play a night milsim game at my local.

Since then its mostly just been bits and pieces to supplement what I have already.

Cheers Nick, very detailed! appreciate your time.

Counting down the time now! purchased some mountain boots with ankle support this morning. Think i probably need a pair of gloves and I'm sorted.

In regards purchasing my own gun, i'm guessing it's probably worth me biding my time and being able to purchase one in black, rather then two-tone? will my first Skirmish on Saturday go towards my mandatory three skirmishes within two months? (think I read that write)

• Supporters

Cheers Nick, very detailed! appreciate your time.

Counting down the time now! purchased some mountain boots with ankle support this morning. Think i probably need a pair of gloves and I'm sorted.

In regards purchasing my own gun, i'm guessing it's probably worth me biding my time and being able to purchase one in black, rather then two-tone? will my first Skirmish on Saturday go towards my mandatory three skirmishes within two months? (think I read that write)

It's three in NO LESS than 2 months but NO MORE than 12. If you're OK with renting then yes, stick with it until you get your UKARA number (I'm assuming you're over 18).

Gloves are good, "tactical" ones may seem pricey but normal ones are too think to properly feel what you're doing with the gun. Mechanix gloves are pretty much the de facto standard these days.

I picked up some cheap fingerless gloves on ebay

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all your advice, went to my first skirmish on Sunday and all i can say is wow! absolutely loved it and think i may have caught the bug..

What did amaze me was the vast array of weapons, equiqment, clothing on offer. Had a good chat with some of the lads there and they were all very 'welcoming' towards me and helped where they could.

Fair play those mk 5 Grenades don't half make a pop up close! ears were ringing a bit!

Looking forward to my next Skirmish in two weeks.

Sounds like you had a great time, and picked up a few pointers as to what gear works and what does not.

Yup, the grenades can be a bit loud, but they can be a game changer in the right situation, so if you have the money, you might want to get one or two. Note that a lot of pyro stuff can't be sent through the mail, so if you are considering getting some things which go bang, you might have to go in person to the shop, and some shops may even withhold selling that kind of thing to you unless you are all UKARA'd up, so call them first before you travel a long way on spec.

Glad you enjoyed it. Hope you got a few kills.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.